Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
My first impression of Man U was in the 1970s when they were a horrible horrible club, THE absolute worst, and that has stuck, my 2nd most hated team. Had I grown up in the 1950s I'd have had a very different impression, like my dad did who did travel by train to watch them from time to time - shortly after Munich I think, but I've always had a soft spot for City. One of my great grandparents lived up there circa early 1900s, not sure exactly where, I need to check to see who they most likely would have supported had they stayed there. It must be a great place to live in terms of football, ditto Liverpool. It's a real shame Notts haven't been up to creating that sort of rivalry interest for so very very long. It would be so great wouldn't it.
I understand your point. I was at the 2nd division game when Man U came to Meadow Lane 1975. Think they needed a point to win the title and raced into a 2-0 lead (should have been 4 or 5-0) only for Notts to roar back second half to tie the game. The spion kop was bursting with United fans of which their Neanderthal component spent most of the game trying to infiltrate us in the County road, eventually succeeding after the game finished to rearrange the stand. God knows what they would have done had Notts scored a third to win the game!

I was born in 1960 and still retained fond memories of the United team on the pitch during that decade, but the experience of the behaviour of their fans very much had an adverse effect on any love for the club. I seem to remember that Jasper Carrott relayed a similar type experience of a visit he made to Old Trafford in support of his beloved Birmingham City which is probably still available somewhere on You Tube.