+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Solskjaer

O/T:- Solskjaer

It is quite unbelievable that OGS lasted as long as he did. His ill-advised appointment just showed how low the club had fallen with Mourinho's appointment. Has any club since the war wasted so much money on signings? Oh that Notts could be gifted just a tenth of Man U's annual revenue.
    When will ManUre get out of the habit of returning to the past as a means of planning for the future? Any prospective manager who is worth his salt will only be put off by the presence at the club of Ronaldo. How will such a one-off fit into anybody's system? At 36, he is far too old to build a team around. Ronaldo is another example of reaching into the past as a formula for the present.
    The present squad is a collection of talented individuals who have defied being moulded into a team. Solskjaer had no pedigree at achieving such a feat.
    And what happened to the wonderful talent raised in the club's own nursery? It doesn't seem to be as productive these days though Greenwood would be a fantastic player in the hands of a decent coach.
    The sad fact is that the club is run by money-grabbing Yanks who have no knowledge of the game or wider footballing vision. For them, ManUre is a business with a great turnover from revenue accrued across the globe. That is where ManUre's real problem lies.
    OGS was simply the latest fall guy but his fall will be softened by the wad of cash at the bottom. It really will be interesting to see who bites this bullet.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 22-11-2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Fixed Off Topic prefix

United have been badly run for years, the Glazers bought the club on the back of loans that were subsequently dumped back on the club after United were previously run on a debt free basis. They hardly put any of their original money into the purchase, but choose to take a large dividend out every season, the sooner they are gone the better.
    OGS was never good enough to manage United, and only got the job permanently because of the run they went on when he first took charge, but that might have been because of the freedom the players had after Mourinho's tactics. The only position they are seriously lacking in is defensive midfield, but the rest are badly led with no structure or tactics, so no wonder they are a shambles.
    As for Ronaldo, he is supremely fit and I can see him still playing at 40 years of age, but he will need runners around him as you can see now that he reserves his energy for going forward, you won't see him being part of a high press.

I reckon Brendan Rodgers would do a better job there than Pochettino, though Leicester fans were booing their team on Saturday. Imagine winning the FA Cup, being comfortably mid-table in the top flight and booing your own players.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I reckon Brendan Rodgers would do a better job there than Pochettino, though Leicester fans were booing their team on Saturday. Imagine winning the FA Cup, being comfortably mid-table in the top flight and booing your own players.
    Winning the league and FA cup gives the fans far greater expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think Brendan Rodgers is somewhat overrated, so I’d love it if he went to Man. United and they continued their descent. Give me FC United any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I think Brendan Rodgers is somewhat overrated, so I’d love it if he went to Man. United and they continued their descent. Give me FC United any day of the week.

My first impression of Man U was in the 1970s when they were a horrible horrible club, THE absolute worst, and that has stuck, my 2nd most hated team. Had I grown up in the 1950s I'd have had a very different impression, like my dad did who did travel by train to watch them from time to time - shortly after Munich I think, but I've always had a soft spot for City. One of my great grandparents lived up there circa early 1900s, not sure exactly where, I need to check to see who they most likely would have supported had they stayed there. It must be a great place to live in terms of football, ditto Liverpool. It's a real shame Notts haven't been up to creating that sort of rivalry interest for so very very long. It would be so great wouldn't it.

I do wonder if Rodgers would fancy it, he wants to play energetic pressing football and Utd are the complete opposite, he would need to overhaul the squad. Makes you wonder what would have happened if they had just given Moyes some time, he got hardly any financial backing.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    It is quite unbelievable that OGS lasted as long as he did. His ill-advised appointment just showed how low the club had fallen with Mourinho's appointment. Has any club since the war wasted so much money on signings? Oh that Notts could be gifted just a tenth of Man U's annual revenue.
    When will ManUre get out of the habit of returning to the past as a means of planning for the future? Any prospective manager who is worth his salt will only be put off by the presence at the club of Ronaldo. How will such a one-off fit into anybody's system? At 36, he is far too old to build a team around. Ronaldo is another example of reaching into the past as a formula for the present.
    The present squad is a collection of talented individuals who have defied being moulded into a team. Solskjaer had no pedigree at achieving such a feat.
    And what happened to the wonderful talent raised in the club's own nursery? It doesn't seem to be as productive these days though Greenwood would be a fantastic player in the hands of a decent coach.
    The sad fact is that the club is run by money-grabbing Yanks who have no knowledge of the game or wider footballing vision. For them, ManUre is a business with a great turnover from revenue accrued across the globe. That is where ManUre's real problem lies.
    OGS was simply the latest fall guy but his fall will be softened by the wad of cash at the bottom. It really will be interesting to see who bites this bullet.
    Weird post this Sid. As it is not even slightly controversial. I agree with every word you say. I trust you are keeping well. QP.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I do wonder if Rodgers would fancy it, he wants to play energetic pressing football and Utd are the complete opposite, he would need to overhaul the squad. Makes you wonder what would have happened if they had just given Moyes some time, he got hardly any financial backing.
    I think a top-level coach would turn United around very easily. They’ve got a great squad on paper, but they’ve completely lost their way under recent managers - none of whom was a decent coach (OGS, Mourinho). Someone like Pochettino would do very well there, I fear.

However, I also think the on-pitch decline reflects what’s happening off the pitch and owners who care only about profits. I think for too long now they’ve forgotten that winning trophies is how they maintain their brand, not how many replica kits they’re selling in Asia. Also, I’ve not been there in about 15 years but the stadium also sounds rather rundown, adding to that sense of neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Does the squad have players who can play like that? I don't really bother with Prem teams very much, but surely they do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast