+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Is crossing the ball an effective strategy for creating goals?

O/T:- Is crossing the ball an effective strategy for creating goals?

Fascinating stuff. I know we'll doubtless get 'It is against Notts!' etc. in here but according to this interesting article it is generally a far less effective goal creation strategy than you might perhaps imagine...

Do any of our analyst posters have any stats for Notts on this?

https://soccerment.com/crossing-effective-strategy/

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Fascinating stuff. I know we'll doubtless get 'It is against Notts!' etc. in here but according to this interesting article it is generally a far less effective goal creation strategy than you might perhaps imagine...

its all about who is doing the defending and who is attacking

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    its all about who is doing the defending and who is attacking
    Really? I never realised that! Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Really? I never realised that! Thanks for pointing it out!
    Not a problem , it makes you wonder why they did the article in the first place as it took me a zillionth of a Nano second to come up with the conundrum for them. I will also throw another spanner into the works and reveal the gem, it depends if the goalkeeper is any good at crosses or not !!!
    check mate !

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Not a problem , it makes you wonder why they did the article in the first place as it took me a zillionth of a Nano second to come up with the conundrum for them. I will also throw another spanner into the works and reveal the gem, it depends if the goalkeeper is any good at crosses or not !!!
    check mate !
    Have you thought about applying for the current position at Old Trafford? You couldn't any worse than the last bloke with that level of knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post

It certainly works for teams playing us.

Notts average 15.44 crosses per 90 mins. We have the second highest percentage for accurate crosses of 37.50% behind Eastleigh who have a 38.50% accuracy.

We have made 141 crosses from the right flank and 126 from the left and 35 of our combined crosses have been into the six yard box.

Regarding goals scored from crosses I would need to have a closer look but I've loaded my goal scatter chart here

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/7071073/

which allows you to see data for each goal scored so far this season, just hover on the dots to open info.

I've been meaning to do one for goals conceded, just haven't had the time yet but think it's something I should look at.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It certainly works for teams playing us.
    "I know we'll doubtless get 'It is against Notts!' etc. in here"

Well that didn't take many replies to come true

Would be interesting to see which teams have the highest percentage of goals from crosses and what their league positions are. There's no doubt it's an effective, time-honoured tactic, but if it ends up being your main threat then it may negate most other aspects of the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast