+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Match Thread vs. Boreham Wood 23.11.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    I would add selling our 2 best players to build the new stands.
    A recent nail was Cotterill leaving after promotion.
    We had so much momentum going into league 1 that I genuinely thought we’d go up again.
    The Coventry play offs still stick in my throat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well Bournemouth had a billionaire owner, i am not sure about Brentford, but i doubt the chairman was short of a penny.

The fact is folks the game is all about money, the reason Notts have fell down the leagues over the last 20 years is, the owners since pavis have not had 2 shillings to rub together, we have nearly gone out of business on numerous occasions

Example take our neighbours forest have had losses over 25 million in the last 5 years, none of our owners could get even close to pocketing that loss
    I think that these people fall into at least 5 categories

Owners - happy to run the business without making profit or loss
    Investors - happy to put money in looking for a return
    Benefactors - happy to put money in knowing it probably won't be returned, but letting others run the club
    Benefactors but dictators - putting money in but wanting absolute control
    Rogues - e.g. Munto

You seem to want the third, but why would anyone want to plough cash in unless they were very rich Notts supporters? I see what you mean about Bournemouth etc, but surely all L1 and L2 teams don't have owners like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well Bournemouth had a billionaire owner, i am not sure about Brentford, but i doubt the chairman was short of a penny.

The fact is folks the game is all about money, the reason Notts have fell down the leagues over the last 20 years is, the owners since pavis have not had 2 shillings to rub together, we have nearly gone out of business on numerous occasions

Example take our neighbours forest have had losses over 25 million in the last 5 years, none of our owners could get even close to pocketing that loss
    Brentford owner Matthew Benham made his money in professional sports gambling, like the owner of Brighton. Interesting article on him here:

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/the-...ho-turned-700k

I found this particularly noteworthy (my use of bold):
    "While the top clubs in the world were investing millions of dollars in their youth academies, Brentford FC decided to eliminate theirs completely. Instead, they relied on a “B team” of 17-to-20-year-olds that had been rendered useless by other clubs.

"Why? Because Brentford believed you had to give a young player at least 35 games before determining his value, but the richest teams in the world didn’t have the time, patience, or appropriate infrastructure to do that. As a small club willing to experiment, Brentford did."

Given that he reportedly invested $10 million in a Danish club to see if his moneyball method worked, the guy clearly is operating on a different level to our owners.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Brentford owner Matthew Benham made his money in professional sports gambling, like the owner of Brighton. Interesting article on him here:

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/the-...ho-turned-700k

I found this particularly noteworthy (my use of bold):
    "While the top clubs in the world were investing millions of dollars in their youth academies, Brentford FC decided to eliminate theirs completely. Instead, they relied on a “B team” of 17-to-20-year-olds that had been rendered useless by other clubs.

"Why? Because Brentford believed you had to give a young player at least 35 games before determining his value, but the richest teams in the world didn’t have the time, patience, or appropriate infrastructure to do that. As a small club willing to experiment, Brentford did."

Given that he reportedly invested $10 million in a Danish club to see if his moneyball method worked, the guy clearly is operating on a different level to our owners.
    If anyone wants to understand more about the Brentford model and Benham then it’s well worth trying to get a copy of “The xG Philosophy”. Benham’s initial intention was to use data to improve his return on the large betting syndicate he ran. Then he realised the value in signing players whose value was low, usually due to them being stuck in a PL academy, develop them and then sell them when they are over valued. He would then use that money to fund his next crop of hopefuls. (Rúben, Roberts, Sam, Vincent, Knight, Francis, Nemane etc). Has proved to be a good model for Brentford, could take Notts a little bit longer to reach those heady heights but the foundations appear to be in place.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    If anyone wants to understand more about the Brentford model and Benham then it’s well worth trying to get a copy of “The xG Philosophy”. Benham’s initial intention was to use data to improve his return on the large betting syndicate he ran. Then he realised the value in signing players whose value was low, usually due to them being stuck in a PL academy, develop them and then sell them when they are over valued. He would then use that money to fund his next crop of hopefuls. (Rúben, Roberts, Sam, Vincent, Knight, Francis, Nemane etc). Has proved to be a good model for Brentford, could take Notts a little bit longer to reach those heady heights but the foundations appear to be in place.
    Very interesting discussion
    I still think last time both us and brentford were in league 1, around 2013 time, Brentford had far more money available to them than us. Also league 1 level was about right for them at the time, there was no sense of under achievement, so the owner had far more time to experiment with ideas, without any real pressure from supporters

The idea of supporting younger players is definetely the way forward, it worked for us in the past with the likes of jonhson, short and draper, even though that was not intentional

The fact is it is capable of being successfull in the long term, which is the major disadvantage as it will take many years probably 5 to 10 years to materialise .
    The biggest obstacle for Notts is getting out of the National League, if we could do that in the near future, i believe we would manage quite well back in the football league

Previous good little debate on this thread as to whether we should be happy or not with a point away at high flying Borehamwood predominantly based around their very limited level of support Vs their league position.

There away support in particular is so low their was no segregation in the covered terrace behind the goal so fans of both clubs were housed in there which made for a few tasty and funny comments. I haven't experienced that since a game between Northern Spirit and Melbourne in 2000.

What I didn't realise was how closely connected (and importantly funded) they were with nearby Arsenal FC. Although this was understandably secondhand information it came from a very reputable source at yesterday's game. Doesn't change the lack of support, income from crowds nor how well they and their manager have done and are doing but it does change my viewpoint somewhat and explains to a degree their impressive results this season.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627