+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Millers Golden Era

For me it’s the seasons of the Towner, Forrest, Moore etc squad

No-one can see into the future, but I've got a feeling that future generations of fans will look back and be talking about this team/squad that we're seeing now and saying how good they were. I've been watching the Millers now for about 57 years which goes back to the early 60's. Early memories are of Quinn, Madden, Wilcockson, Clish, Galley, Casper, Lyons, Chappel, Pring, Fantham, Furnell, etc etc. All very good players. And then there was the early 80's with our title winning squad, Moore, Towner, Seasman, Mountford, Forrest, Breckin, Gooding, Fern, Henson, etc, etc, a very special time. We've had our fair share of successes since, and we've also seen bad times, culminating in us having to travel out of town to watch the Millers at the Don Valley Stadium R.I.P....
    And then there's today's team/squad, and in my humble opinion, it's the best period that I've witnessed in my time watching the Millers. There isn't a bad player in our squad and I can see Paul Warne taking these players up to the Championship and if we can manage to hold on to the majority of them, I think we will become an established team that many other clubs will look at and envy.
    Times are good right now so let's get behind everything that Tony Stewart and Paul Warne are doing because it's definitely working.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Nez View Post
    No-one can see into the future, but I've got a feeling that future generations of fans will look back and be talking about this team/squad that we're seeing now and saying how good they were. I've been watching the Millers now for about 57 years which goes back to the early 60's. Early memories are of Quinn, Madden, Wilcockson, Clish, Galley, Casper, Lyons, Chappel, Pring, Fantham, Furnell, etc etc. All very good players. And then there was the early 80's with our title winning squad, Moore, Towner, Seasman, Mountford, Forrest, Breckin, Gooding, Fern, Henson, etc, etc, a very special time. We've had our fair share of successes since, and we've also seen bad times, culminating in us having to travel out of town to watch the Millers at the Don Valley Stadium R.I.P....
    And then there's today's team/squad, and in my humble opinion, it's the best period that I've witnessed in my time watching the Millers. There isn't a bad player in our squad and I can see Paul Warne taking these players up to the Championship and if we can manage to hold on to the majority of them, I think we will become an established team that many other clubs will look at and envy.
    Times are good right now so let's get behind everything that Tony Stewart and Paul Warne are doing because it's definitely working.
    Couldn't have put it better myself 👍

You're a cunning linguist Nez.....well put Sir.

The whole set up down at NYS is amazing, from the Chairman to the bloke that cleans the windows. Young Warne is a positive wholesome winner who's surrounded himself with like minded people. It's took a bit of time to get here but his philosophy and behind the scenes graft and dedication is beginning to pay off. I expect a good result every time we play and think we'll hold our own next season in the Champ. I wish we could replay the Wednesday game right now.

Mind you, one defeat and there'll be some wanting him out ha ha

Well said uncle Nez.

In 20 years time we will look back on the Stewart/Warne era as something very special, long may it continue.

Tony Towner is still the most exciting player I've ever seen in a Millers shirt.

I remember a policeman at Turf Moor coming over and asking me who he was. Five minutes later he got sent off for deliberate hand ball lol

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Tony Towner is still the most exciting player I've ever seen in a Millers shirt.

I remember a policeman at Turf Moor coming over and asking me who he was. Five minutes later he got sent off for deliberate hand ball lol
    I agree. Chio is the closest I've seen to the 'edge of seat' excitement that Towner generated but Tiger had a more consistent cross and assist on him. Chio has time to beat him yet though!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I agree. Chio is the closest I've seen to the 'edge of seat' excitement that Towner generated but Tiger had a more consistent cross and assist on him. Chio has time to beat him yet though!
    I've always loved to see a good winger, and as well as Tiger and Chieo, I would add Jimmy Mullen from late 60's and Sedgy, who wasn't blessed with the pace of the others, but was a nightmare for defenders to play against. UTM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast