+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Millers Golden Era

Millers Golden Era

Rotherham United is almost 100 years old,but when has been the best time to watch the Millers ?
    I`ve been watching since the `70`s,and in that time we`ve had many promotions,loads of relegations,take-overs,and at least twice where we nearly folded completely.
    We`ve had some great players,some absolute sh*te,and lots of very average players,some great managers,and some who didn`t know what they were doing.
    I still think the best team I`ve seen was the `81 promotion team....Ronnie,Breck,Towner(of course !),Forrest,Stancliffe,etc,but maybe I`m remembering it with a bit of old-age rose-coloured nostalgia,not sure.
    Some of our older fans will remember the `50`s and `60`s era,but for me the Millers Golden Era is right now,2021,you`re in it as we speak.
    Here`s why.....
    We have a local family who own the club,who also saved the club from certain demise,a man who clearly loves this club and won`t let us get in a financial mess again.
    This same man gave us an amazing new stadium,something I thought I would never see,and it`s in town,not out on some industrial estate somewhere.
    We have had a real rollercoaster ride since TS took over,but so many great memories,with many more to come,I`m sure,we also have a new culture at the club,a culture built on respect,fairness and hard work,the `Warne Way` if you like.
    I love what the club has become,and I`m sure this will be the blueprint for many other clubs in the future,the days of nasty,bullying mangers will become a thing of the past.
    So enjoy the now,the TS era is the best ever time to be a Millers supporter.

65 Lyons Tiler etc.. & 81 Towner Forrest etc... can't spit them equally as good.

My mum and dads era was probably our best ever, even though I didn’t see it. Three successive 2nd place finishes, a title and very nearly reaching Div 1, scoring 5 at the sty and 7 at the lane. That must have been special, but I think this team is getting close to that standard, albeit the gulf in finances means that “nearly” reaching the prem is highly unlikely nowadays.

I've been watching the Millers for 65 years and I remember the teams of the early 80s with a lot of fondness and we had some terrific players at that time.
    However, time will tell, but I think the current squad is probably as good, or better than any I can recall. I just hope we can keep them all together because I'm sure most of them would do well at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Rotherham United is almost 100 years old,but when has been the best time to watch the Millers ?
    I`ve been watching since the `70`s,and in that time we`ve had many promotions,loads of relegations,take-overs,and at least twice where we nearly folded completely.
    We`ve had some great players,some absolute sh*te,and lots of very average players,some great managers,and some who didn`t know what they were doing.
    I still think the best team I`ve seen was the `81 promotion team....Ronnie,Breck,Towner(of course !),Forrest,Stancliffe,etc,but maybe I`m remembering it with a bit of old-age rose-coloured nostalgia,not sure.
    Some of our older fans will remember the `50`s and `60`s era,but for me the Millers Golden Era is right now,2021,you`re in it as we speak.
    Here`s why.....
    We have a local family who own the club,who also saved the club from certain demise,a man who clearly loves this club and won`t let us get in a financial mess again.
    This same man gave us an amazing new stadium,something I thought I would never see,and it`s in town,not out on some industrial estate somewhere.
    We have had a real rollercoaster ride since TS took over,but so many great memories,with many more to come,I`m sure,we also have a new culture at the club,a culture built on respect,fairness and hard work,the `Warne Way` if you like.
    I love what the club has become,and I`m sure this will be the blueprint for many other clubs in the future,the days of nasty,bullying mangers will become a thing of the past.
    So enjoy the now,the TS era is the best ever time to be a Millers supporter.
    Think what sets this team apart is the competition for places. We could literally have 2 first teams and quality wise there wouldn’t be that much in them. That’s the key to winning leagues, getting promoted etc.

Early 60's to mid 60's was good, especially the Jack Mansell era.
    17 consecutive seasons in the 2nd Division ( now the Championship) must count for something.
    70's flew by and all I can remember is the youngsters we had coming through.
    At one stage 9 local lads in the team.
    Porterfields promotion is one never to forget and it's unfair to compare with previous decades.
    These days it's a good time to be a Miller , overall a strong, good quality squad.

Re Tony Stewart...he runs a tight ship financially for a reason.
    You never know what's round the corner and that's the reason I'm not too derisory of other clubs that are in financial difficulty.

When talk was ongoing about a new ground I mentioned it ought to be near town. I was shouted down and told it needed to be out of town like Bolton's etc.
    Good job someone saw sense and built it close to town.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 24-11-2021 at 11:58 AM.

For me it`s all about what the team does on the pitch,it`s the club as a whole,and surely now it`s the best it`s ever been,coupled with some great football.

Agree with Gru and Casperfrank for me early to mid 60s and 80s teams very good, todays team compared to 2014 team not sure, try putting best 11 from each, then pick your best 11 from the 22.....good luck.

The Old Man must have seen the Millers in every decade from the '30's until 2010's

He always rated the teams of the '60's (which is when he introduced me to the Millers)

So in his absence Dad's vote goes to the 60's and Jack Mansell

Mine Porterfield's & Ronnie (first time around) but this current era is fast galloping up on the rails

Well it certainly can't be described as 'an era' but one of the best days, and one most of us on here probably never thought we'd see was the 1996 day out at Wembley. Shame it came in the midst of what was a forgettable time for the club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast