+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predictions - 27 & 28 Nov

I keep saying in the 'Wellens' thread what I expected from this season, and I am surprised that it has taken 6 months for others to realise what I predicted. The only thing that can save Rovers now from relegation is a ton of cash to replace Wellens and bring in several good players in the Christmas window. But that won't happen.

You have said it all, Scarjo. I have rarely seen such a soulless Rovers team.

As a league two club we can't expect to come straight back up and top clubs won't loan us their players. Equally gates will drop along with revenue. There is nothing positive in where we are now or where we are going.

We need yet another major rebuild of the squad but Wellens was certainly NOT the man for the job this season. Every year seems to be just another major rebuild. There is a distinct lack of direction from the board, as well as poor judgement in appointing this manager even after a so-called extensive interview process with 100 applicants. Wellens has no managing or playing style, consistency on the pitch or capable of motivating players. On the pitch we lack a Whiteman or Coppinger to captain the team and drive the players to win games. We once had a good side, but those days are gone.

It's not taken 6 months SilverTop ! If you look back prior to the beginning of the season's comments, I already said at that time that we would be fighting relegation this season rather than hoping for a mid-table position, which is what people were saying then. It's of little use to overly criticize results and performances, and Wellens, like anyone else in his position, needs a decent crack of the whip. But now I feel that he's had his chance and there are no improvements to show well into the season. My main concern is that, with the current state of affairs at the club, I feel we are unlikely to fare any better in League 2 (or the fourth division to give it its true name) and may be struggling to hold our own next season too if no changes are made in the very near future. On current evidence, I'm not very optimistic that Wellen's judgement concerning future recruitments will be any better than his past record. I'm not sure he's really cut out for management. But if the board do decide to keep him (for financial reasons, I imagine, as objectively, I don't see any other possible motive), I'll be perfectly happy to be proved wrong...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12