+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T 5 Things you probably don't know about Newcastle

O/T 5 Things you probably don't know about Newcastle

This may be old but I'd never seen it before, interesting stuff about Newcastle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p_tollMiyc

Nice one, man...hadn't seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Nice one, man...hadn't seen that before.
    I hadn't either but it was very interesting and well presented. I knew three and a bit of them, Didn't know about the ceramic Union Flag, and thought Eric Burdon was a great-grandson, but he was great great nephew.

i didn't know about eric burden or the ceramic things, or that the words were on that seat/bench

i definitely knew they sing the wrong words to the blaydon races - it bugs me lol

Does anyone know the origin of the name of the Old George? I've tried a few times to find out without success. Most pubs in the U.K. named George are after the Hanovarian Georges but the Newcastle Old George predates the German Georges by over 120 years.

I read that King George III was in there during the last Jacobite uprising when they came over the border.Newcastle was a royalist stronghold so he used to have a sup there while planning strategy and it meant he could pop up to see the toon on a Saturday and get his sunday dinner at me Nanna`s.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Does anyone know the origin of the name of the Old George? I've tried a few times to find out without success. Most pubs in the U.K. named George are after the Hanovarian Georges but the Newcastle Old George predates the German Georges by over 120 years.
    I've just discovered a question and answer page online about the Old George answered by the owner/management so I'm just waiting for a reply.

Love this type of thing.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)