+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stendel's promotion season

Stendel's promotion season

Now that we're facing up to an inevitable relegation season again, its got me thinking again about the last time this happened, four seasons ago. Morais was sacked immediately of course and we hired an unknown German that summer, called Daniel Stendel.

And wow we hit the ground running didn't we, he had us up for it right from the pre-season, and we weren't given a chance to lull about and feel sorry for ourselves. Promotion became the aim immediately, and we achieved it as runners-up and with an unbeaten home record. Im really impressed with the impact he had here and how good those seasons achievements were.

Now then onto this current under performing mob, does anybody think we'll do anything like that this time in Lg One. Or is it going to be a few frustrating and annoying years stuck down there like it was under Wilson/Johnson ?.

Stendel inherited a squad too good for the Third Division but it still needed his skills and enthusiasm to guide them to automatic promotion, unbeaten at ooam.
    Conway then pulled the rug from under him in "the best transfer window ever in BFC history" leaving him with ten youngsters with no Championship experience.

If you look at some of that squad under Stendel and where they are today it tells you just how good they were for league one .

Pinnock PL with Brentford

Lindsay Championship @ Stoke and Preston .

Adam Davies Championship @ Stoke

Jacob Brown Championship @ Stoke

Kieffer Moore Championship and full Welsh International .

Cameron Mac top flight in Belgium with Oostende

Mowatt Championship @ WBA .

Plus Woodrow .

To be honest we should have won the league .

Daft home draws to Plymouth , Walsall and Wimbledon early in the season cost us in the end .

Makes you wonder though why and how they were relegated in the first place, with Hammill, Bradshaw, McBurnie, and the loan player Gardiner in the squad.

I remember the frustration from fans at us selling Moncur to our Lg One title rivals Luton, but it didn't bother me because he was a waste of time anyway.

And it made it more enjoyable as we saw off the so called bigger and better duo of Portsmouth & Sunderland.

Nostalgia is all well and good but the future looks very grim to say the least. When we go down, we'll stay down and most likely not be playing our home games in Barnsley. What a shower of total shyte

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Nostalgia is all well and good but the future looks very grim to say the least. When we go down, we'll stay down and most likely not be playing our home games in Barnsley. What a shower of total shyte
    Do you think nostalgia is a thing of the past ?

I think we will struggle in League One

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzer1953 View Post
    I think we will struggle in League One
    Until the summer comes around & we see what squad we have to tackle league one I will reserve judgement , it is too early to say but there is a big difference between the leagues as we know from last time we dropped & went straight back up & although Rotherham always struggle in the championship they do well in league one .

The state of Lg One does concern me more now, as there are a few more bigger teams who should be doing better.

In fact Ive got even less confidence in us going for immediate promotion or the play offs this time, compared to our last three relegation seasons in '02, '14, and '18.

And has anyone noticed that each of these four relegation to Lg One seasons, starts with an odd number.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Do you think nostalgia is a thing of the past ?

Certainly not Shadrack. I'm as guilty as anybody for reminiscing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast