+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth eyeing Wootton swoop

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    And you have a good source for this?
    Sauce? No just my (strong) opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    If it means us getting players off them like Yates and Grant then why not strengthen ties.
    No Notts fan worth his salt would ever countenance being a feeder club for them.
    I want zero ties with them. Remember how the Yates thing ended?

The Woots situation will come to a head the next 2 months.

Yeah, he's been good for us but we've also been good for him. Assuming his form continues we should offer a new contract and he should accept (with understanding of release if a great offer comes, or we fail to win promotion).
    If the contract offer is refused, we'll know we're heading for losing him for nothing. That's when we'll need a bit of competition for his services to sell for a fee (i.e. a single club won't be able to just sit it out if they really want him).

I think Woots is a promotion level player in the NL, but not a difference maker like Tshimanga. It takes everything else being right with the team if we're to achieve that goal.
    Want him to stay but I disagree with those who think he's irreplaceable.

He can leave for nothing in the summer, so Kyle Wootton is in the box seat here. Given that he's close to the end of his contract, that would heavily reduce his selling price (unless a club is really desperate, of course).

The model the owners allegedly want to employ depends on them adequately replacing anyone they sell, because they'll only stand a chance of making it all work financially if we're higher up the leagues and can sell players to clubs that actually have money. I don't see many of them in leagues 1-2.

As for the "free-scoring" tag, sounds like it was written by his agent. Tshimanga is free-scoring, likewise Campbell at Woking. Kyle is a great team player but only a steady striker, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    He can leave for nothing in the summer, so Kyle Wootton is in the box seat here. Given that he's close to the end of his contract, that would heavily reduce his selling price (unless a club is really desperate, of course).

The model the owners allegedly want to employ depends on them adequately replacing anyone they sell, because they'll only stand a chance of making it all work financially if we're higher up the leagues and can sell players to clubs that actually have money. I don't see many of them in leagues 1-2.

As for the "free-scoring" tag, sounds like it was written by his agent. Tshimanga is free-scoring, likewise Campbell at Woking. Kyle is a great team player but only a steady striker, I'd say.
    Woots can pretty much leave for nothing after Jan 1st cos after that date he can not only talk terms with other clubs but sign a contract that will begin in the following Summer. If he does, how useful will he be for us in the last 6 months of his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Woots can pretty much leave for nothing after Jan 1st cos after that date he can not only talk terms with other clubs but sign a contract that will begin in the following Summer. If he does, how useful will he be for us in the last 6 months of his contract?
    It'd be very disappointing if that's the way it went

For how long has that sort of contract arrangement been possible? It makes stringing a club along and ditching them at the last minute seem OK!

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    It'd be very disappointing if that's the way it went

For how long has that sort of contract arrangement been possible? It makes stringing a club along and ditching them at the last minute seem OK!
    No idea, AC but that seems to be the way it is. Understandable rules I suppose to give the player a little longer to sort his future out.

Nonetheless, The News understands that interest remains strong in a player who has registered 46 goals in 100 appearances since arriving at Meadow Lane in August 2019.

Wootton is out of contract in the summer, with Magpies boss Ian Burchnall yesterday revealing talks over a renewal have still to take place.

Should they be unable to tie down their leading scorer, it could prompt the National League club to cash in on the ex-S****horpe man in January.

Alternatively, Pompey could opt for a pre-contract agreement and get him for free at the season’s end.

Regardless, the 6ft 2in Wootton offers target man capabilities that Cowley has long yearned for.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Any chance we can get eli coached on how to be a centre forward, hes a big old unit..!
    I think our fans might be shocked to see the results if he was ever given a run in the team.
    A FEW fans are being a bit sick slating Sam because IB keeps him on the bench, it as if they're being denied the chance to kill him for 5-10 minute cameos so roast him for not even getting on!
    I thought the mockery on Notts County Talk last night was out of order. He's a Notts player who can't get into the team at the moment, that's all, so rein in the digs and save them for our competition.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Alternatively, Pompey could opt for a pre-contract agreement and get him for free at the season’s end.
    And if Notts had an offer from Team Y for say 125,000 and Wootton doesn't want to go, there would be nothing we could do and we just have to allow him to sit out the last 6 months of his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    And if Notts had an offer from Team Y for say 125,000 and Wootton doesn't want to go, there would be nothing we could do and we just have to allow him to sit out the last 6 months of his contract?
    I've no idea with that one AC? If Woots doesn't sign a contract before Jan the only way we can make any money is too sell him in Jan, his new club effectively paying to get him 6 months early, which won't result in a massive amount of money. You could reasonably ask why the club didn't try to tie him down to a contract earlier but praps the lad wasn't interested in doing that?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast