+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth eyeing Wootton swoop

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I don't care how young you are once you are a professional player you know that if you aren't getting game time, opportunities to impress on a match day then the only way you can force yourself into the starting XI is by putting it in in training.

Naturally it doesn't carry as much weight as your efforts in competitive games but it's the next best thing.

I don't care whether it's Eli or Rùben if you don't put in the effort you don't play. It's ***** any club creates a competitive atmosphere within the squad where lack of effort isn't tolerated and certainly isn't rewarded. The only players who get away with this are extremely talented and their performances speak for themselves. Even our star Portuguese player discovered this early on in IBs tenure.

Read comments from young Chalobah at Chelsea who spoke of the players hating to concede goals even in 5 on 5 in training and it filters throughout the squad to first team games.

If Sam wants to play he simply has to put in the effort and perofmances in training and give IB no choice. Otherwise he can have no complaints.
    He could put in 200% effort, but the fact remains he is just not good enough to be a proffessional footballer....The club have dropped a big bo**ock signing him, now we need to get rid to free up wages for someone who will benefit the team...

Why have they dropped a big bo**ock signing him?! Did he cost a large transfer fee? Or even a transfer free at all? I think you are being melodramatic and perhaps a tad negative.

Every single club has signings that take up some of the budget in wages and contribute next to nothing.

If it was a big costly signing that didn't deliver , Agana being the prime example then I'd agree about dropping a bo**ock but this looks like being just another free signing that didn't come off.

Plus we signed him at the same time as we signed a guy who has now turned out to be arguably our best player and one of the very best in the entire league as the Borehamwood manager stated recently.

I'll take that ratio every month of the year when signing players.

He is being paid a wage that could have been used to fund a better player. But that's the risk when you don't go to watch the player you sign..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He could put in 200% effort, but the fact remains he is just not good enough to be a proffessional footballer....The club have dropped a big bo**ock signing him, now we need to get rid to free up wages for someone who will benefit the team...
    Talk about dramatizing.

We signed a striker on a free transfer and it's not worked out...happens at every Club up and down the country. We also signed another striker on a free transfer that will make us significant profit when he is sold.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He is being paid a wage that could have been used to fund a better player. But that's the risk when you don't go to watch the player you sign..
    You mean like Wooton & Rodrigues? We obviously didn't watch them play either! Not every transfer will work out but we're getting more right than wrong this season imo.

I tend to think that the further you go down the leagues the more risk there is in the transfer market you're operating in. It always needs to be understood - especially at lower levels - that a certain percentage of transfers will fail. When has this ever not been the case, whatever recruitment methods are utilised. I'm not particularly implying that players should be signed without viewing by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    You mean like Wooton & Rodrigues? We obviously didn't watch them play either! Not every transfer will work out but we're getting more right than wrong this season imo.
    You'd like to think he's just on the wind up but sadly I feel he's being serious. Goes home and away yet hasn't quite worked out transfers or football in general

Dropped a real bo**ock Notts with a free signing not working out to date.

Must have watched by Ruben a tad more than Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_OTF View Post
    Doubt we will keep him. He will have numerous offers on the table from league 1 and 2.

Wouldn't begrudge him a move either. He's serves us well and deserves a shot at league football again.
    Neither would I. This shows that the club is going in the right direction and comes with the territory. If you take young players, give them a platform and an environment to grow and develop where they become better than what they were when they first arrived they will either go up with the club or move upwards.

It's not happened much with this club over the past twenty years, but it will happen at some point and that is one of the things we have to accept. What the club will need to do is as the cream rises to the top and is skimmed off keep replenishing the team from the bottom and naturally other players will rise but in different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yes, noted and respected. The odds are actually against it now (making an impact).

Here's mine though - Eli Sam has actually got more potential to be the promotion winning striker we need than Kyle Wootton.
    The heights he could potentially reach are higher than the level Wootton could ever aspire too. There's something of the Thierry Henry about his style and there's no doubting he has better technical ability than many forwards we've had at Notts over the years. There are many things getting in the way of this, including confidence, lack of determination as well as us not being able to afford giving a player 5-6 games to find his feet.
    I think we've been wasting a talent and a hundred comments telling me I'm wrong won't change my mind about that
    I'm in agreement with you. There is certainly the potential and something there without a doubt especially from a technical aspect and I can fully subscribe to the Thierry Henry style. It's how that potential is harnessed and developed and how the player fits within our set up, shape and the football played at this level that is the challenge.

When IB first came to the club Ruben and Sam seemed similar in that they were in their first season playing in England, they hadn't really made their mark and it was the middle of the pandemic. Did IB not do a post match interview and talking about RR and training and it seemed to be a catalyst for RR from that point onwards?

The big challenge is how do the club solve the enigma that is Sam. Can the mystery be solved, or will it ultimately be a 50% success ratio with the first two foreign players to come in during the Reedz Rein?

Sorry - anyone who thinks that Sam can surpass what Kyle offers us is deluded. Not saying that Sam lacks ability, but he appears to lack the application which is required and for a player of his size seems to be easily bullied off the ball. I am sure his confidence is low and I hope he gets some game time in the forthcoming Football Trophy games as he may yet still be needed as a squad player. However to suggest (on current evidence) that he could do a better job than KW is daft IMHO.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast