+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OT ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Indeed it has...do you understand the point GF is making Kerr? read your posts again
    He wasn't making a point, gm. He was clutching a straws by reproducing the front of a Scottish newspaper (that has no doubt been circulated within a Twitter of Facebook group that he is a member of).

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Scots admitting that Covid cases spiked there with masks, work from home edict and harsher restrictions but not in England.

So England adopts the Scottish measures!

How is that logical?
    The logic is this.

Unless you are a germ theory denier (and I wouldn't put it past you), Covid can only spread within a population through a person coming into contact with the virus that has been shed by an infected person.

Taking steps to reduce contact between people (by encouraging them to work at home and - under the extreme lockdown conditions of the 1st wave- ordering schools, pubs and restaurants to close) will necessarilly reduce transmission.

Taking steps to reduce the risk of transmission when people do come into contact (by mask wearing, ventilation and - under the extreme conditions of the earlier waves - imposing social distancing) will necessarilly reduce transmission.

If you or gm can come up with any serious argument with the above (and by that I don't mean something written by a nutter on Twitter) then by all means let me know.

In respect of the newspaper article itself, I would firstly want to read the article itself (because front pages are designed to sell newspapers whilst the boring stuff is put in a smaller font size inside). I'd be interested to know what conclusion it reached. I'd then want to check the factual basis of the article (because print journalists have about as much knowledge of statitics and how to read them as most of do about quantum mechanics).

If I was satsfied that the statistical basis of the article held up, I would want to look at the dynamics within Scotland at the time - they have different schooling patterns and possibly a different level of compliance with directives for example.

What I wouldn't do is put the front page of the newspaper in a thread and believe that it established anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The logic is this.

Unless you are a germ theory denier (and I wouldn't put it past you), Covid can only spread within a population through a person coming into contact with the virus that has been shed by an infected person.

Taking steps to reduce contact between people (by encouraging them to work at home and - under the extreme lockdown conditions of the 1st wave- ordering schools, pubs and restaurants to close) will necessarilly reduce transmission.

Taking steps to reduce the risk of transmission when people do come into contact (by mask wearing, ventilation and - under the extreme conditions of the earlier waves - imposing social distancing) will necessarilly reduce transmission.

If you or gm can come up with any serious argument with the above (and by that I don't mean something written by a nutter on Twitter) then by all means let me know.

In respect of the newspaper article itself, I would firstly want to read the article itself (because front pages are designed to sell newspapers whilst the boring stuff is put in a smaller font size inside). I'd be interested to know what conclusion it reached. I'd then want to check the factual basis of the article (because print journalists have about as much knowledge of statitics and how to read them as most of do about quantum mechanics).

If I was satsfied that the statistical basis of the article held up, I would want to look at the dynamics within Scotland at the time - they have different schooling patterns and possibly a different level of compliance with directives for example.

What I wouldn't do is put the front page of the newspaper in a thread and believe that it established anything at all.
    Kerr wearing a nappy reduces the risk of sh1tting down your leg, but instead you take Imodium (other treatments available)

Staying in your house and not venturing out is the most effective way of staying safe, your safety isnt reliant on someone wearing a mask!

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I was down in London a few weeks ago.

On the tube the wearing of masks is compulsory as a condition of travel but TFL don’t enforce their own rule.

Interesting to observe the demographics of mask wearers on the tube, nigh on 100% for over 50 white Caucasian types, near to 10% for the “Windrush” under 30s. High take up for the Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese types but poor on those that seem to be Pakistani or Indian background.

If we are really serious about beating covid we have to be a lot tougher on those that won’t cooperate
    I think there may be a whole load of confirmation bias going on here. You only quote white over 50s and compare with black under 30s?! What about the white under 30s and the black over 50s?

I travel on the tube at different times of the day and week, as does my wife who I showed this post to and neither can see anything like what you claim you saw. We definately see more of the older generations of all demographics wearing masks but likewise with youngers of all dems not wearing them. My wife is low immunity and gets very angry and frustrated at people ignoring the TFL rules, and last week we were sat opposite a white brit family all not wearing masks, we moved to stand at the end of the carriage and then were surrounded by a black family not wearing masks. My guessis that you would have only noticed the black family.

To select the demographic and age groups on your 'journey' as you present here is so risible but so, so Gristy!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think there may be a whole load of confirmation bias going on here. You only quote white over 50s and compare with black under 30s?! What about the white under 30s and the black over 50s?

I travel on the tube at different times of the day and week, as does my wife who I showed this post to and neither can see anything like what you claim you saw. We definately see more of the older generations of all demographics wearing masks but likewise with youngers of all dems not wearing them. My wife is low immunity and gets very angry and frustrated at people ignoring the TFL rules, and last week we were sat opposite a white brit family all not wearing masks, we moved to stand at the end of the carriage and then were surrounded by a black family not wearing masks. My guessis that you would have only noticed the black family.

To select the demographic and age groups on your 'journey' as you present here is so risible but so, so Gristy!
    Well I suppose the only real answer is for you to go there and look for yourself

If all those people who refuse to wear masks were to catch Covid and die, that would certainly help slow down the spread of the virus. What a selfless act! But Sid's Law says that wouldn't happen; they would just cough it on to someone more vulnerable who would then have to be hospitalised, thus putting more pressure on the NHS. Freedom of choice - yes. Freedom to choose to infect others - not so sure. Sorry I have no facts or figures to back up this argument as it's purely hypothetical. I'm just trying to point out the consequences (as of teaching a granny to suck eggs) of a selfish decision.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The logic is this.

What a load of waffle.

Since the mask requirement ended on July 19th in England, Covid cases per 100,000 have been lower here than in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, who kept masks, even though England has higher population density.

That's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Kerr wearing a nappy reduces the risk of sh1tting down your leg, but instead you take Imodium (other treatments available)

Staying in your house and not venturing out is the most effective way of staying safe, your safety isnt reliant on someone wearing a mask!
    Come on gm, I offered a chance to get £100 donated to Rotherham Hospice, aren't you going to take me up on it? Or have you realised you post irrelevant nonsense but weren't expecting to get called out on it and so want to hide/ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Well I suppose the only real answer is for you to go there and look for yourself
    I spent much of the summer living in London. I noticed that many asians on the tube weren't wearing masks... but then again I was usually travelling around Mile End/Stepney Green which is a predominantly asian area.

When I've been in Rotherham I've noticed that many white working class people aren't cleaning their equipment at the gym... but then again I've noticed that its predominantly white working class people around me when I'm there.

If you think someone as rabidly prejudice as you can neutrally assess such matters, you are very much mistaken. You have overwhelming confirmation bias, every post you make you attempt to find a way to shoehorn your views about race in. Thankfully society is moving on from your outdated way of viewing things - the the point I actually find your posts comical in how much of a charicature you are, it genuinely makes me giggle!

Omicron b - anagram for "no crimbo".

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast