+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Five years Warney

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    That’s never going to happen.

On simple demographics Rotherham has a significant percentage of population made up of ethnic backgrounds that have no interest in football whatsoever
    According to the stats The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham has a population of around 265,000 of which 91% are White British, so I don't think we can blame that for not being able to fill a 12,000 seater stadium.

Over the years that we've been in the bottom two divisions we've lost a lot of football fans to the Sheffield Clubs and Leeds, I know even some people from Rotherham who are season ticket holders at Old Trafford and Anfield. We'll never get those back.

Oh and gru, I can assure you that Paul Warne is not listening to you.
    Last edited by Masbroughstreet; 28-11-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Have a look at Bolton, Burnley, Bradford, Leeds, Luton, Leicester ......

It will take years of success to build a proper fan base up, we haven't done too bad but, just need that extra 1500 regulars....maybe a couple of half decent seasons in the Championship could do it.......but hasn't done in the past.....

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    According to the stats The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham has a population of around 265,000 of which 91% are White British, so I don't think we can blame that for not being able to fill a 12,000 seater stadium.

Over the years that we've been in the bottom two divisions we've lost a lot of football fans to the Sheffield Clubs and Leeds, I know even some people from Rotherham who are season ticket holders at Old Trafford and Anfield. We'll never get those back.

Oh and gru, I can assure you that Paul Warne is not listening to you.
    The last “reliable” stats come from the last census ( which was criticised for under reporting certain parts of our population) but to summarise it for Rotherham

 Christianity remains the largest religion in Rotherham with 171,068 followers (66.5% of the population) but the number of Christians has decreased by 13.2%
     The largest increase is in the number of people with no religion which has more than doubled to 57,783 or 22.5% of the population
     The number of Muslims in Rotherham has nearly doubled to 9,614 or 3.7% of the population
     Other religions account for 1,785 people or 0.7% of the population
     Figures exclude the 6.6% who did not state their religion

But those figures apart, if it’s not demographics then why can’t we attract more fans?

Good chairman, good manager, team playing well, new ground

But we can’t raise the numbers

The last “reliable” stats come from the last census ( which was criticised for under reporting certain parts of our population) but to summarise it for Rotherham

 Christianity remains the largest religion in Rotherham with 171,068 followers (66.5% of the population) but the number of Christians has decreased by 13.2%
     The largest increase is in the number of people with no religion which has more than doubled to 57,783 or 22.5% of the population
     The number of Muslims in Rotherham has nearly doubled to 9,614 or 3.7% of the population

But those figures apart, if it’s not demographics then why can’t we attract more fans?

I expected you to question the accuracy of those stats but I'm only going on what's reported, I'm not just going to make some up.

As I've said, we'll have already lost a lot of football fans to other clubs and we won't be getting those back. The ticket prices, while cheaper than a lot of clubs will still be too expensive for a lot of people to afford and the rest, probably just aren't bothered.

There are some of the outskirt areas in the Rotherham met. boundary that were previously under Sheffield and were always going to have that tie to the Sheff.clubs.It is only recently that we have become a desirable club to follow.When you look back at the squalid facilities at Millmoor we were never going to attract the fringe support.We are in a much better position now and with the local rivals doing nothing special we could benefit from extra support when we get promoted.

Well, we will see

If we are going to build the fan base then it’s now

I can’t see the conditions being more favourable than they are now

Add to that, there are those of us who live such a long way away that would love to go to home games regularly but financially it is brutal. End up putting money into the pockets of train companies at a ratio of 3 to 1 compared to a ticket price (roughly).

£90 just over for a return from Norwich (via Sheffield). Unless you break the journey up and change at Peterborough and Doncaster. That makes it £60 odd. Then add a ticket on top, food and drink etc.

When you add in being an adult and life commitments it makes it tough. End up going to a handful of home games and any remotely this way.

What do you think these stats show?

They seem a bit irrelevant, but don't contradict the 91% stat by my reading.

The people of the UK generally are increasingly less likely to identify as religious. In the 2001 census I'd probably have been counted as Christian but never again.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Add to that, there are those of us who live such a long way away that would love to go to home games regularly but financially it is brutal. End up putting money into the pockets of train companies at a ratio of 3 to 1 compared to a ticket price (roughly).

£90 just over for a return from Norwich (via Sheffield). Unless you break the journey up and change at Peterborough and Doncaster. That makes it £60 odd. Then add a ticket on top, food and drink etc.

When you add in being an adult and life commitments it makes it tough. End up going to a handful of home games and any remotely this way.
    Don't you drive MT? I rarely pay more than £25 for a return P'boro to Rovrum, but there's an hour each way to add on for the (free) bus ride to P'boro.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast