+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Classic Brian Clough Story

Classic Brian Clough Story

Told by Mark Crossley

Funny as owt .

https://youtu.be/wv--D1wrMEI

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Told by Mark Crossley

Funny as owt .

https://youtu.be/wv--D1wrMEI
    I know Mark personally & he is a grand lad & if you get a chance to go to a gig where he is doing his after dinner routine , he is very funny especially when he relates to Clough whose voice he has got off to a tee , incidentally not only was he a proven top class goalkeeper but he was also a very talented cricketer but when he turned pro at football his cricket went on the back burner .

There's an hour long interview with Crossley on YouTube by 'Undrthecosh' with our very own John Parkin. Plenty of funny Cloughie stories like this one Animal has linked. Well worth a listen lads.

https://youtu.be/NzvnkCZHKds

David Currie story .

I think I mentioned this on here last season, when we sold David Currie to Notts Forest for a pittance of about 750k.

If Cloughie did treat Currie that way, like Crossley is saying, then I find that ignorant and pathetic to be honest.
    As great as Cloughie was, he certainly did some things in a questionable way. 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I think I mentioned this on here last season, when we sold David Currie to Notts Forest for a pittance of about 750k.

If Cloughie did treat Currie that way, like Crossley is saying, then I find that ignorant and pathetic to be honest.
    As great as Cloughie was, he certainly did some things in a questionable way. ��
    Sorry, but the likes of him, and Managers I’ve worked for, , (in the old ways) make managers like him special……and in turn make Some people special too.
    I’ve pulled stunts as a manager like him, and had to do stuff publicly to get results that worked, and MADE YOUNG lads careers, (went on to earn £200k+) a year after working with me…… I meet people regularly who I’ve been a s*d with , and keep in touch with most of them , who understand why this happened, and how it enriched them…..and how they realise now why I had to be a B*stud..

And I say this……… Crossley is obviously earning money from telling tales of another player’s humiliation…. Has Crossley had Permission from Currie to do this???? …mmmmmm.

He was ace at what he produced on the pitch, and it needed Peter Taylor as well remember.
    And I wish we had a bit of that now because too many of our pampered players are just coasting it and could do with a right rollocking.
    But that sort of treatment of a player who he had just signed, is totally disrespectful. And Crossley shouldn't be taking the pee out of it like its hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    He was ace at what he produced on the pitch, and it needed Peter Taylor as well remember.
    And I wish we had a bit of that now because too many of our pampered players are just coasting it and could do with a right rollocking.
    But that sort of treatment of a player who he had just signed, is totally disrespectful. And Crossley shouldn't be taking the pee out of it like its hilarious.
    Cloughie was just honest and straight forward, teld it how it was. Tha gonna upset some folk along the way and tha can't please everyone. I read his autobiography and he regrets the way he handled certain things but believed it was best out in the open and then folk knew where they stood with him. I've also heard that the Currie story has grown more and more exaggerated over the years so it's difficult to know exactly how it was handled.

Nar then, who's parked their classic Capri outside mi house

I also read one really likeable story from one of our fans once, about when Clough and Notts Forest visited us.
    It was for a Full members cup tie, on a freezing cold night near the end of January in 1991.
    Apparently their players got off the coach and walked straight past all of the autograph hunting kids, because it was so cold.
    And he/Cloughie made them all go back out and sign everybody's book, and he offered all the kids some chocolate bars as well as a pressie.
    Now if that is true, then that does sum up what an amazing bloke he could be. 😏

Did he shek Nudgers hand