+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Pieces

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Most of those corner goals coming from exactly the same routine - the chip to Cameron attacking it at the far post! Really simple but teams can’t seem to defend against it, Dagenham struggled all game.
    Shades of the Masson-Stubbs combination from dead-ball kicks many winters ago. Inch-perfect delivery to the head of a fairly unstoppable force like Stubbsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Shades of the Masson-Stubbs combination from dead-ball kicks many winters ago. Inch-perfect delivery to the head of a fairly unstoppable force like Stubbsy.
    Makes you feel all tingly inside

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    Awesome stuff.

Do you have similar for goals conceded?
    With no game this week I've got an opportunity to put some time into this so will post something once I've had chance to work through it.

It's no wonder my business is struggling, I never do any work!

Here's the same chart for goals conceded. Note that we let a couple in from long throw-in's last season, arguably something we've been better at defending this season.

Whilst both the charts provide an overview of how we compete at set pieces it doesn't necessarily tell a concise story. Therefore the new found analyst in me has decided to now calculate how many of each action we had or faced so we can drill down on effectiveness. For example we may have scored 6 goals from corners out of 36 meaning a 16.66% success rate whereas 6 goals from 26 corners would mean 23% success rate.

Anyway here you go . . .

Name:  set_pieces_conceded.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  17.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    It's no wonder my business is struggling, I never do any work!

Here's the same chart for goals conceded. Note that we let a couple in from long throw-in's last season, arguably something we've been better at defending this season.

Whilst both the charts provide an overview of how we compete at set pieces it doesn't necessarily tell a concise story. Therefore the new found analyst in me has decided to now calculate how many of each action we had or faced so we can drill down on effectiveness. For example we may have scored 6 goals from corners out of 36 meaning a 16.66% success rate whereas 6 goals from 26 corners would mean 23% success rate.

Anyway here you go . . .

Name:  set_pieces_conceded.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  17.5 KB
    So to work out the differentials goals scored v conceded, 2020/21 we were -0.06 goals per games, 2021-22 its + 0.19 goals per game, so a +0.25 goals per game improvement on last year. Coach Clapham and the players should take a bow

Have posted this on Twitter/FB etc.

Was asked about goals from set pieces this season. Chart below showing every set piece goal from 50 games last season compared to so far this season. last season we were scoring at 0.38 per game, this season already at 0.55 per game.

Attachment 20466
    So basically we’re scoring a goal every other game from a set piece, and have already scored more from corners than the whole of last season. Conversely, we’re conceding a goal every three games from a set piece - which is also an improvement on last season, when it was closer to one every two games.

Now we just need to find our shooting boots outside the box, as I don’t recall many 25-yard screamers this season.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    So basically we’re scoring a goal every other game from a set piece, and have already scored more from corners than the whole of last season. Conversely, we’re conceding a goal every three games from a set piece - which is also an improvement on last season, when it was closer to one every two games.

Now we just need to find our shooting boots outside the box, as I don’t recall many 25-yard screamers this season.
    Should add to this that I think 3 goals conceded from set pieces this season came in one game, Woking.

Also the lack of long range efforts this season probably has more to do with the way IB prefers to create chances in the box because statistically you have a greater chance of scoring.

It was interesting this afternoon going through all of last seasons goals.

Losing players to covid and still playing the Maidenhead game was probably a mistake as we could have easily had that game postponed as others did.

It also showed what a big miss Wes Thomas was. At the beginning of last season him and Wootton looked like world beaters. In the games after that we started to look pretty average and I think the long range efforts were symptomatic of our lack of real attacking threat.

By the end of NA’s reign we were probably going backwards and that penalty defeat to Hornchurch was a prime example of that.

It was a frustrating hour or so going through those videos!

Also the lack of long range efforts this season probably has more to do with the way IB prefers to create chances in the box because statistically you have a greater chance of scoring.
    I guess if it’s good enough for Pep and Man City, it’s a good enough model for us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast