+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Goalkeeping Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    To be fair, IB did mention that it was a quality cross, and it was. Sometimes you have to give a bit of credit for that. I see plenty of higher league keepers flapping around in the box too; as well as punching out shots instead of catching them.
    Slocombe could do nothing about the goal on Saturday. It maybe looked bad because he tried to get to it, but stay on his line and the outcome is the same. If you want to be hyper-critical, Vincent misjudges the flight of it at the near post, but as you say sometimes the opposition just does something really good - that corner is extremely difficult to try and defend, the delivery is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Slocombe could do nothing about the goal on Saturday. It maybe looked bad because he tried to get to it, but stay on his line and the outcome is the same. If you want to be hyper-critical, Vincent misjudges the flight of it at the near post, but as you say sometimes the opposition just does something really good - that corner is extremely difficult to try and defend, the delivery is perfect.
    The Weston effect!

It's amazing how people criticizes Slocombe on the goal, which in my opinion he couldn't do anything about, rather than praise him for at least 3 saves he made.
    He contributed to us gaining 3 points

Without doubt any blame for the goal he more than made up for with some very good saves throughout the game.

As for the goal it's subjective of course, great delivery and a good goal scored from a near post corner.

Could the GK have done more well yes, no way is that goal unpreventable from a goalkeeping point of view. On further analysis it could easily be argued that he was a little slow to get out to it thanks to his feet stuttering before he goes to punch it away. The header is within the six yard box , and the way he's facing for the corner and in general that's the GK ball to clear all day long.

Obviously it's whipped in at pace and therefore reaction times are limited. I wouldn't say he's blameless at all, GK at higher levels would have got there, cleared house and punch it away and probably got a free kick as well. Saying that I think it's hypercritical to blame him in this instance as the delivery was so good. Some times you've just got to hold your hand up and say it's a good goal. Maybe he's just under increased focus cos of Patterson's performances. He's good enough for me at this level always has been.

Amazed at the expert knowledge of football techniques we have on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Without doubt any blame for the goal he more than made up for with some very good saves throughout the game.

As for the goal it's subjective of course, great delivery and a good goal scored from a near post corner.

Could the GK have done more well yes, no way is that goal unpreventable from a goalkeeping point of view. On further analysis it could easily be argued that he was a little slow to get out to it thanks to his feet stuttering before he goes to punch it away. The header is within the six yard box , and the way he's facing for the corner and in general that's the GK ball to clear all day long.

Obviously it's whipped in at pace and therefore reaction times are limited. I wouldn't say he's blameless at all, GK at higher levels would have got there, cleared house and punch it away and probably got a free kick as well. Saying that I think it's hypercritical to blame him in this instance as the delivery was so good. Some times you've just got to hold your hand up and say it's a good goal. Maybe he's just under increased focus cos of Patterson's performances. He's good enough for me at this level always has been.
    It doesn’t look good on the replay for Slocombe, but as Jacob said staying rooted to his line would have made no difference. For me the majority of the blame lies with the lack of challenge, because nobody seemed to be marking their player or putting him under any pressure. Saying that, it was a really good corner because it was put in exactly the area that’s hard to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Well I'm surprised they hired this guy and just didn't give you the vacancy 🙃 thanks for summing up what had previously been said by the other posters.

Tbh it doubt it pays anywhere near enough for me to swap jobs.

I must say you've done incredible well to miss the contrasting views earlier in the thread as to whether Slocombe is at fault or not.

Well done you

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It doesn’t look good on the replay for Slocombe, but as Jacob said staying rooted to his line would have made no difference. For me the majority of the blame lies with the lack of challenge, because nobody seemed to be marking their player or putting him under any pressure. Saying that, it was a really good corner because it was put in exactly the area that’s hard to defend.
    Vincent is marking him, but misjudges the flight and runs too far to the near post so it just goes over his head.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast