+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBC Radio Cumbria will be on DAB+ after Tuesday 30th November 2021

FFS... where did my bloody excellent reply disappeared to 😡

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_Kuntz View Post
    There's a wide variety of pocket DAB+ and FM radios on Amazon i.e. both in one radio.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=pocket+...ref=nb_sb_noss

Some of them have a fixed internal battery and some use AA or AAA batteries. I always use rechargeable batteries. Asda occasionally sells matchbox sized DAB+/FM radios.

I would not bother with any that have AM (Medium Wave) in their specifications. AM will soon not exist or at least there will be nothing on it of any consequence.

The headphone socket can also be used in another context. At home you can plug the tiny radio into mains charging and get a cheap set of speakers (£10 to £15) to plug into the headphone socket, thus making it into a mains DAB+ and FM radio.

But I would rather simply get another DAB+ & FM radio which has the mains electricity & battery facility in order to use it around home.

Best of all for use around the house and on your country estate would be a mains / battery / DAB+ / FM / internet radio. £55 upwards will buy a decent one of these. The vast majority of radio stations worldwide broadcast on the internet, so that is terrific. It must cost very little to broadcast on the internet. But you will need to use the internet part within range of your router or boost its range, which can be done. I have one of these radios and use it to listen to various stations which, in actual radio terms, broadcast only locally on FM in the USA but can be heard worldwide on an internet radio.
    I'm going to go for the top one in the link purely on the looks alone especially now that I know that I can charge it up at the mains with an adapter,things have changed since the 70's when the only thing worth listening to after 7pm was Radio Luxembourg,the first time that I ever heard The Damned's New Rose was on Luxembourg late one night way before Radio 1 would play it and it blew me away,one of the few songs that I can remember where I was when I first heard it

The original Radio Luxembourg staggered on until 30th December 1992, latterly only on satellite and short wave radio. Beginning in 2005 and broadcasting on the internet since 2008 there is currently a Radio Luxembourg. You will be able to judge for yourself how close it is to being a relative of the original Radio Luxembourg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_...ourg_(digital)

In the 60s and 70s Radio Luxembourg had a big audience and little competition. Nowadays, as long as it complies with regulations, a radio station can be set up by any Tom, P­enis or Harry.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 03-12-2021 at 11:30 AM.

I can vividly remember listening to the Star chart whilst in bed,Radio One wasn't 24hrs back then and if you wanted to listen to pop music then Radio Luxembourg was the only option really,I'm pretty sure that I never listened to any pirate ships but would have if I knew how to tune into them,my love of music started with listening to Radio Luxembourg when life was simpler

The best known of all the pirate radio stations was Radio Caroline. It used a bit of 'Caroline' by The Fortunes as a frequent station identity 'sting'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYmTJ9uA5AQ

There is plenty about Radio Caroline's history on the internet but this is 'A Visit to Radio Caroline on the Ross Revenge Aug 2021' :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIcxfViM_Rk. Radio Caroline transmits programmes from the ship on special occasions. It is mainly a museum of the station's past, having been the station's final and only surviving ship.

The station now seems to be based at Malden, Ess­ex. On the Radio Caroline web site you can listen 'live' to Radio Caroline and Radio Caroline Flashback (60s and 70s music). https://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html It also transmits on 648 metres MW.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 03-12-2021 at 04:17 PM.

I listened to Radio Caroline back in the day - it upset the establishment and changed the face of radio from then on. It was mind-blowing because it allowed access to music that wasn’t defined, moderated or censored by the BBC. The older generation were furious, which was great. If you want to have your mind blown again, install the Radio Garden app, or search for it online. Find a station on a world map and play it, it’s that simple.

There are 2 new local DAB networks in Cumbria operated by Bauer and Mux Co Cumbria.

Bauer's network operates transmitters in Carlisle, Penrith, Workington, Whitehaven and Keswick.
    These transmit 20 stations which are a mixture of Cumbrian ones and national ones previously not available in Cumbria :-
    BBC Radio Cumbria (DAB+)
    CFM
    Greatest Hits Radio
    Scala Radio
    Absolute Radio Country (DAB+)
    Jazz FM (DAB+)
    Absolute Classic Rock
    Magic Chilled (DAB+)
    Magic Soul (DAB+)
    Planet Rock
    Mellow Magic
    Absolute 80s
    Absolute Radio 90s
    Hits Radio Pride (DAB+)
    Magic at the Musicals (DAB+)
    Absolute Radio 20s (DAB+)
    KISS Dance (DAB+)
    KISS Garage (DAB+)
    Magic at the Movies (DAB+)
    KISS Bliss (DAB+)

Mux Co Cumbria's network operates transmitter in Windermere, Kendal, Ulverston and Lancaster.
    These transmit 8 stations which are a mixture of Cumbrian ones and national ones previously not available in Cumbria :-
    BBC Radio Cumbria
    Heart North Lancashire and Cumbria
    Smooth Radio Lake District
    Nation 80s
    CandoFM
    Bay Trust Radio
    Beyond Radio
    Fun Kids

At the other place Pacirv's problem as stated in his post #296157 here https://thecumbrians.net/cufc-forum/...c#reply-296154 may well be that he believes being in Cumbria is enough to get Planet Rock. But in order to get it your DAB/DAB+ radio has to be within receiving range of the Bauer transmitters. All DAB+ radios can receive stations still on DAB. Numerous national DAB/DAB+ stations not mentioned in these 2 lists have been available all over Cumbria since the BBC pioneered DAB in the early 2000s.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 03-12-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Bloody hell 6EQ,if I ever appear on Who wants to be a millionaire I'm going to have you as one of my phone a friend's,out of interest what kind of work are you in? (you don't have to answer if you don't want to)

He writes dictionaries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)