+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Radio Cumbria will be on DAB+ after Tuesday 30th November 2021

BBC Radio Cumbria will be on DAB+ after Tuesday 30th November 2021

Of course it will remain on FM (95.2, 95.6, 96.1, 104.1, 104.2 MHz) and Freeview Channel 721.

To get it on your DAB+ radio just do a re-scan and it will appear on the mini screen alongside the other DAB+ stations that you can already pick up.

Good news, and about time. I have a small DAB/FM pocket radio which I use to listen to the pre- and post-match standing in the Paddock but FM isn’t always perfect. Otherwise the radio’s brilliant:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sound nerds point out that FM is higher quality but prone to interference, which I have not much experienced. DAB+ is much more robust. I cannot discern the difference in quality.

There is criticism that the 'powers that be' originally allowed too many DAB stations into the available resources and thus the quality is compromised but DAB+ is 3 times more efficient so a lot more stations at a lot higher sound quality can exist on DAB+. The original DAB codec was based upon the MP2 standard but DAB+ uses AAC which is the dog's genitals.

Carlisle coverage:

FM - OK out and about
    Freeview 721 - home only

Barrow coverage:

DAB+ - OK everywhere
    AM average everywhere.

Barrow seen to win on points.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/12/loc...th-lancashire/

The new aspect of this is that it is about Cumbria's and North Lancashire's local radio stations now being on DAB+. All the BBC's various national radio stations have been available in Cumbria and North Lancashire on DAB/DAB+ for 18 years. During that time the various commercial national radio stations have all gradually moved to DAB/DAB+. Some big commercial local radio stations are now broadcasting nationally on DAB/DAB+, mainly London ones such as LBC. I.e. these local stations can be heard nationally on DAB+.

A very high percentage of radio stations worldwide can also be heard on the internet on a computer and on internet radios. In fact some internet radio stations are not really radio stations at all. They just broadcast on the internet.

At the outset of DAB it was very expensive for a radio station to move onto it but with DAB+ now the current standard this is not the case. Indeed some hospitals radio stations and very small community radio stations are on it on the local transmitters. Also the original DAB radios used a lot of power, thus batteries did not last long. But since the arrival of the much more efficient DAB+ technology this is no longer a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Good news, and about time. I have a small DAB/FM pocket radio which I use to listen to the pre- and post-match standing in the Paddock but FM isn’t always perfect. Otherwise the radio’s brilliant:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I had a look at this as I wouldn't mind a dab radio for the summer when I'm out and about but it's currently unavailable (surely by the power of Griffs recommendation on here) but how do you charge them with a usb cable if you haven't got a computer to plug it into?

Get a charger for the wall. I use one of these and have others around the house but you can get a plug with one outlet for less that a fiver -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lencent-Cha...7T3GDTG2&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Get a charger for the wall. I use one of these and have others around the house but you can get a plug with one outlet for less that a fiver -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lencent-Cha...7T3GDTG2&psc=1
    I didn't even know that they even existed so thanks Griff,I will have a look around Amazon for a radio as I could make good use of one in summer

Check whether they come with headphones - mine did but I had better ones.

There's a wide variety of pocket DAB+ and FM radios on Amazon i.e. both in one radio.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=pocket+...ref=nb_sb_noss

Some of them have a fixed internal battery and some use AA or AAA batteries. I always use rechargeable batteries. Asda occasionally sells matchbox sized DAB+/FM radios.

I would not bother with any that have AM (Medium Wave) in their specifications. AM will soon not exist or at least there will be nothing on it of any consequence.

The headphone socket can also be used in another context. At home you can plug the tiny radio into mains charging and get a cheap set of speakers (£10 to £15) to plug into the headphone socket, thus making it into a mains DAB+ and FM radio.

But I would rather simply get another DAB+ & FM radio which has the mains electricity & battery facility in order to use it around home.

Best of all for use around the house and on your country estate would be a mains / battery / DAB+ / FM / internet radio. £55 upwards will buy a decent one of these. The vast majority of radio stations worldwide broadcast on the internet, so that is terrific. It must cost very little to broadcast on the internet. But you will need to use the internet part within range of your router or boost its range, which can be done. I have one of these radios and use it to listen to various stations which, in actual radio terms, broadcast only locally on FM in the USA but can be heard worldwide on an internet radio.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 02-12-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)