+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrexham v Yeovil

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    We are consistently inconsistent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I think it's something that's endemic throughout the club right now.
    Apart from on here 🎣

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    After a couple of months of being able to attend every match, I'm now back in your situation, laddo

Another thing about this season - it's a very likeable group of players and the way that they support and cheer on each other makes you like them even more.
    This is a really good point and something that should be talked about more. Team spirit and togetherness whilst not exclusive to success is probably understated in terms of it's contribution to sides being successful. Obviously it will only take a team so far, but it can be the glue that binds everything together when you add in skill and talent and the biggest thing of all consistency. That is regardless of what level of football a team is at.

I do think our players do seem relatable, and it also helps that some have been at the club quite a while in football terms. Take JOB and Doyle this is their fourth season at the club. Likewise we have players who have renewed contracts playing in their third season such as Rawlinson, Slocombe, Brindley and DKE. The more a player plays in the first team and the longer they stay at the club the more they become part of it's fabric and make up. It's a million miles away from the days when we would have 40+ players a season, and numerous loan players who would only make a few appearance's and never be seen again who's names if they popped up later on down the line we would forget they played for us. What we have now is called stability and it is a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    This is a really good point and something that should be talked about more. Team spirit and togetherness whilst not exclusive to success is probably understated in terms of it's contribution to sides being successful. Obviously it will only take a team so far, but it can be the glue that binds everything together when you add in skill and talent and the biggest thing of all consistency. That is regardless of what level of football a team is at.

I do think our players do seem relatable, and it also helps that some have been at the club quite a while in football terms. Take JOB and Doyle this is their fourth season at the club. Likewise we have players who have renewed contracts playing in their third season such as Rawlinson, Slocombe, Brindley and DKE. The more a player plays in the first team and the longer they stay at the club the more they become part of it's fabric and make up. It's a million miles away from the days when we would have 40+ players a season, and numerous loan players who would only make a few appearance's and never be seen again who's names if they popped up later on down the line we would forget they played for us. What we have now is called stability and it is a breath of fresh air.
    Agreed completely. The inconsistency comes from how young the players are. Most on here and in the stands wanted a more youthful squad. We have that now, but we have to understand that performance levels won’t always be at 7 or 8 out of 10 and there will be blips. Which has happened. Thankfully not too often.
    The vast majority of our players are 24/25, with most improving. I would love to see players like Ruben, Cal, Cameron, Matty P and Woots at the club in 3 or 4 years when in theory at there peaks.
    Likelihood is none will be with us unless we start to rise through the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That’s true, but all the promoted teams from this division seem to hit a rich vein of form for a long spell. By a long spell, I’m talking around a third of the season where they don’t drop many points. Any team that can do that will probably claim the automatic spot.

I hope it’s us, but consistency hasn’t been our strong point.
    Every promotion-winning Notts side I can remember has put together a long winning run at some point (other than in 1980-81 when we went the opposite way and went 12 games without a win). Obvious ones are the Dec-end of Feb winning streak by the 1997-98 champions and the tail end of the Munto season when we overtook Rochdale. We also did something similar at the end of the 1990-91 season to storm into the playoffs in top form, too.

The problem is those blips against the likes of Altrincham, Woking and Eastleigh. We really have to stop those if we want to get into the top three (at least).

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    It's a very enjoyable and intriguing season so far.

There's a sense that we've got a couple more gears/levels to reach yet - being No.1 in some statistical categories, spurning the chances we do create, and potential to click even more if we can keep a settled side.

At the same time, it also feels fragile - loss of form, or injuries to key individuals could send us toppling down the table. Most games are highly competitive and if you're not on it, you're going to lose.

We're certainly getting our money's worth. It's a lot of fun.
    Agree with this, too. You've only got to see what happened when, freakishly, we lost three centre halves, or when Patterson was recalled (maybe the latter is being a bit harsh on Sam S.) to see how things can change with the odd bit of bad luck. Again, though, you generally need to be lucky with injuries during the season to be successful (or have one hell of a squad).

Also worth remembering that five of our six wins at home have been by the odd goal - would be nice to start making things a little easier for ourselves (maybe by scoring a few goals early doors).

I’ve said it b4 and I’ll say it again, I like what we’re building at Notts, everything seems to be putting in to place for the long term. I think it is for the short term too but I do think this will be Notts’s biggest hurdle under the owners with it just being top spot.

I’m also happy other teams have spent loads as it’s no guaranteed recipe for success out of this league, a top 3 yes but not to win it as a lot of things have to go your way and once some of them start slipping up I think it will get quite toxic at these clubs either aimed at the managers because they can’t get a tune out of an expensive squad or the players that their a waste of money. I think at Notts it will be less so as the fans on the whole see what’s trying to be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    What it does show and it happens quite frequently is the so called big teams slip up, we’re not along in getting what can be considered bad/surprise results.
    Well we should know, as Notts County are one of the big teams that keep slipping up, just because we are not alone, does not excuse our poor performances, as it is these that will cost us automatic promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well we should know, as Notts County are one of the big teams that keep slipping up, just because we are not alone, does not excuse our poor performances, as it is these that will cost us automatic promotion
    Any comment on the stats I posted?

17 points from the last 8 games, including most of the top teams.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

Well it is one point less than allegedly unstoppable leaders Cheaterfield.

So there's that.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 02-12-2021 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

How about the games before that? Not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    We are not going to get automatic promotion.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast