+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Ray Kennedy

RIP Ray Kennedy

Ex Arsenal, Liverpool and England player sadly passed away at 70. I always liked him as a player and one who won many top honours with Liverpool. Unfortunately he'd left them to join Swansea by the time we played them at Anfield in 1982 and he then joined Hartlepool in November 1983. Interestingly we played them in an FA Cup tie and replay later that month, does anyone remember if he played against us?

RIP Ray

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59480532

Great player and fantastic goals record for a midfielder

Not certain whether he played against us or not CAM.
    I can't remember him playing against us.
    I reckon he may not have played any FA Cup games in his brief spell at Hartlepool.

R I P ..Ray Kennedy ....bon to be a footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Not certain whether he played against us or not CAM.
    I can't remember him playing against us.
    I reckon he may not have played any FA Cup games in his brief spell at Hartlepool.

R I P ..Ray Kennedy ....bon to be a footballer.
    You are right Casper. According to Wiki he didn't play in any FA Cup games for Hartlepool and that would have been his only chance as we knocked them out and he left at the end of that season.

On reading up about him he was a better footballer than he was human being but some of that might (or might not) have been down to the effect of his Parkinson's and medication.

Been told his autobiography.....' A Ray of Hope ' is a decent read, warts and all.

Outstanding signing by Bill Shankly and a masterstroke by Bob Paisley by moving him from a forward to left side midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Been told his autobiography.....' A Ray of Hope ' is a decent read, warts and all.

Outstanding signing by Bill Shankly and a masterstroke by Bob Paisley by moving him from a forward to left side midfielder.
    Masterstroke or serendipity? The move might have been 'forced' on him as Ray couldn't get a look in with the Toshack/Keegan partnership. Whatever it was it worked out and as they say, good managers make their own luck.