+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: O/T poor little soul.

Flippin eck kerr you are getting stuff usually meted out to me. For what it's worth i know what you are saying re violence not sorting violent acts. Also I agree you can never be 100% sure someone has committed any crime. The only thing I would say about this is I hope that the perpetrators of this crime have extremely bad personal luck for everyday of the rest of their lives. Violence towards them may come into that.

At least I haven't suggested reading Sociology texts. That would be a step too far.

You should the sociology of violence I would think is quite eye opening owd lad. The human race is still very backwards in many ways an advanced species visiting this planet would still think we are very primitive creatures. No wonder they prob don't want to spend any time with us.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I've already set out my views on capital punishment and the innocent people who would die because of it.

The deterrent effect of capital punishment is overstated. People who commit murder generally work upon the basis that they aren't going to get caught.

Take a look at the US for the value of capital punishment as a deterrent. The UK homicide rate is dwarfed by that of our friends across the pond.
    Probably due to the fact the US has a population of 320 Million where our population is approx 67 million….., yes it’s bound to be approximately 5 times as high/bad on average.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I've already set out my views on capital punishment and the innocent people who would die because of it.

The deterrent effect of capital punishment is overstated. People who commit murder generally work upon the basis that they aren't going to get caught.

Take a look at the US for the value of capital punishment as a deterrent. The UK homicide rate is dwarfed by that of our friends across the pond.
    Maybe that has something to do with how easy it is is to purchase a gun? I also think there are other reasons involved in that country too.

Do you think that if we brought back the death penalty that people in this country would be more tempted to murder?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Probably due to the fact the US has a population of 320 Million where our population is approx 67 million….., yes it’s bound to be approximately 5 times as high/bad on average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Maybe that has something to do with how easy it is is to purchase a gun? I also think there are other reasons involved in that country too.

Do you think that if we brought back the death penalty that people in this country would be more tempted to murder?
    More like 20x the rate Brin. Haven't looked in detail but I think there are more homicides by gun in the US every 10 days than there are all homicides in the UK in total in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post

I agree that gun ownership might well increase the number of killings because:

1. Shooting someone is an effective way of trying to kill them; and
    2. Firearms are a type of weapon that lends itself to mass killings.

Set against that, I doubt if many people in the UK who decide to kill somebody else will give up on the notion because they can't get a gun and can't think of any other way of doing it...

On the subject of mass shootings, I confess to not having researched the point, but my impression from memory is that most such incidents end with the offender turning the gun on themselves, which rather suggests that the prospect of their death did not act as much of a deterrent.

I agree that there may be other factors at play in the US - notably the 'normalisation' of violence within American society - which is where I came in with my point about people fantasing about violence being used against the offenders in the Birmingham case.

I don't believe that the reintroduction of the death penalty into the UK would have any bearing upon the murder rate in the short term. It might increase it over time as violence became a little more normalised by it, but that is pure specuilation on my part for obvious reasons.

What you would see is an exodus of lawyers from cases that involved the possibilty of execution at the end of them.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 06-12-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I used the expression 'homicide rate' not 'number of murders'.

We have plenty of normalised violence in this country with the stuff we watch on telly, films and computer games
    No wonder we end up with evil bas tards like the ones who killed the little lad from brum. Violence is glorified in society generally. Let's not accept it in any form eh whether it be school bullying, domestic violence, football hooliganism, tv violence...whatever.

The W Mids press are reporting that the murderer actually had two of her own children staying in the house at the time of these events and they appear to have been left unscathed.

The violence was targeted at just one minor but that also leaves her children's life in ruins when they come to terms with what happened

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast