+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One For The Stattos

One For The Stattos

Are Notts County the only team in the history of the top 5 divisions who have made the play offs in 3 of four seasons and are now a division lower than they were? I can't think of any other team who have managed that.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-12-2021 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Took errant apostrophe in title back to the grocer

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Are Notts County the only team in the history of the top 5 divisions who have made the play offs in 3 of four seasons and are now a division lower than they were? I can't think of any other team who have managed that.
    I'm not sure we hold that record yet, unless you're assuming we are in the play offs again this season? We made the play offs twice in a row under NW and we've made the play offs twice in the National League.

I think Grimsby just pip us for most promotions with 14, I think we have 13? Also, I think we have suffered 16 relegations so it makes sense we are now lower down the pyramid than when we started in 1888.

I think that makes us the second ranked yo-yo club, again behind Grimsby who according to wiki have swapped leagues 31 times in their history.

Here's a link to all the efl play-offs to date which might help . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...ague_play-offs

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I'm not sure we hold that record yet, unless you're assuming we are in the play offs again this season? We made the play offs twice in a row under NW and we've made the play offs twice in the National League.
    I think QP is talking about the year under Nolan.

We have a current run of

17/18 playoffs
    18/19 relegation
    19/20 playoffs
    20/21 playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I think QP is talking about the year under Nolan.

We have a current run of

17/18 playoffs
    18/19 relegation
    19/20 playoffs
    20/21 playoffs
    Ah yeah, good point. If that’s the case then he might be right.

We probably are. Lincoln made five successive play offs and then ended up going down but there were four seasons of struggle before the drop came. Most clubs seem to either bounce back very quickly or continue to slump, so our sequence of late may well be unique in terms of actually making it into the play offs.

Orient might be the most similar run in recent times in terms of extreme final positions but they've only made the play offs once here....

2010/11 3rd tier 7th/24
    2011/12 3rd tier 20th/24
    2012/13 3rd tier 7th/24
    2013/14 3rd tier 3rd/24 po finalists
    2014/15 3rd tier 23rd/24
    2015/16 4th tier 8th/24

The other extreme was my first 4 seasons watching Notts:

1955/56 Div.2 20th/22
    1956/57 Div.2 20th/22
    1957/58 Div.2 21st/22 Relegated
    1958/59 Div.3 23rd/24 Relegated

I was hooked, even though we were rubbish!

When we hit the 4th Division for the first time in our history we bounced straight back.

Ah yeah, good point. If that’s the case then he might be right.
    Yes I was including the year under Nolan.

Yes I was including the year under Nolan.
    Yeah, my mistake mate. Looks like it might be a good shout.

Yeah, my mistake mate. Looks like it might be a good shout.
    Good pub quiz question ha ha.