+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the owners will do?

What do you think the owners will do?

What do you think the owners will do if or when we are relegated at the end of the season? And what do you think will happen in the January transfer window?

It could well be time for them to do what they did at OGC Nice.

Sell the better players and build up a significant transfer surplus, then sell the club for a considerable profit with the transfer surplus "disappearing" creatively out of the accounts as they are transferred to the new owner, including the yet unpaid purchase price to the previous owner. The £6 million cost of relegation will be the new owners first hit.

Conway will be laughing all the way to the bank and fans will be left with a struggling Third Division club stripped of any decent players.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 03-12-2021 at 01:06 PM.

If we get relegated one of the things I’d expect the directors to do is employ the Moneyball tactics of selling players in an effort to recoup their loses due to the loss of income.

What’s the Moneyball tactics I hear you say.
    Well it’s tactics that is not dependent on the telephone ringing asking if a certain player is available for sale.
    Instead of that - the CEO and maybe Mr Conway himself will be actively telephoning around other clubs offering to sell players to those clubs.

In saying that - if players wages keep within the clubs budget then they will be retained.
    But I’m expecting players to leave - some of them relatively cheaply.

There will be a reset - then off they go again pushing for promotion out of Division 1.
    But if relegation does happen - the directors will be asking themselves whether there has been any progress in the last few seasons.
    And we all know the answer to that.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 03-12-2021 at 02:04 PM.

It would be nice if they decided that they have finally had enough of this club, because they can't make enough of a profit out of it anymore. But sadly I think we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future.
    However, if theres a threat of relegation again down to Lg Two, that might make them re-think their strategy here.

As I said on the Huddersfield match thread I've given up on us staying up this season , we've given ourselves far too much to do and I just can't see us reigning in the teams above us simply because to be honest they are better than us .

What I'm looking at is some kind of competitive future in league one next season .

Some players are going to be in the last year of their contracts next summer , Collins , Anderson possibly one of two more and I'd expect Helik , Styles and Woodrow to be moved on .

Let's be honest the fees aren't going to be great and may not even meet the loss of revenue heading our way from Sky and make no mistake ST's are going to be down by 50% at least in my opinion .

I suspect we are going to be recruiting in the free transfer market and some of our development lads including those currently out on loan given a first team shirt .

The league one tune getting played will be down to Jordan Williams , Ben Williams , Sibbick , Moon , Benson , Iseka , Palmer , Sick Note , Morris , Kitching and Hondermarck , Kane plus freebies .

That at least offers up some kind of stability rather than the 14 players out and 14 in .

The big question is are they going to be very competitive at the lower level ?

Hand on heart at this moment in time I honesty couldn't say .

In my opinion this is a totally different scenario from the last relegation with Davies , Cavare , Thiam , Mowatt , Pinnock , Lindsay , Moore and Potts plus Woodrow

Facing up to relegation again is hard enough, as Im sure every fan knows. But theres a darker and uncertain negative vibe around the club now , and its ALL down to these owners.
    Its four years now I think, and they haven't improved this club one little bit. In fact this season is now the exact opposite and its like they are making things worse.
    We deserve to be in this position as a club because of how its being run. But once they disappear, they will have no such problems and we're the ones then who will have to pick up the pieces. 😡

Do yourselves a favour and save your money and don't give this lot a penny more and put it towards holiday ( if you can go ) . Wait till they piss off. I was always sceptical why they with all the money they've supposedly got bought us when Leeds scum and Newcastle were for sale at the same time
    Somethings not right with their intentions. ( sorry for posting lol )

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Facing up to relegation again is hard enough, as Im sure every fan knows. But theres a darker and uncertain negative vibe around the club now , and its ALL down to these owners.
    Its four years now I think, and they haven't improved this club one little bit. In fact this season is now the exact opposite and its like they are making things worse.
    We deserve to be in this position as a club because of how its being run. But once they disappear, they will have no such problems and we're the ones then who will have to pick up the pieces. 😡
    As soon as Stendel rocked up I was pretty sure we were going to bounce straight back with the squad we had for league one .

We probably shouldn't have gone down in the first place if they'd hired someone at least half decent when Hecky left .

Today it's different , we will be comfortably relegated unless by some miracle we can reel off 6 or 7 consecutive wins which clearly isn't going to happen .

I'm far from certain we have the quality once the players as I've mentioned leave the club next summer .

And in my opinion league one is a different proposition to what it was three years ago with some big clubs in it .

Derby , Wednesday , Ipswich and Sunderland could all potentially still be there next season .

The recruitment department are going to have to find some Hourihane's , Winnall's , Scowen , Mawson and Roberts in my opinion .

Good Luck with that .

Yeah when you look at that squad in '18, along with the players mentioned, we also had Hammill, Bradshaw, and both McBurnie and Gardiner on loan.
    That shouldn't have been a relegation squad, and had it not been for Bolton's very lucky last 5 minutes on the final day, they and Mr Morais would have stayed up!!.

It didn't take me long though to think that this could and should be Lg One promotion again straight away. And I think I thought it pretty much after the first away game, an easy win at Bradford.

A lot has changed though in the four seasons since then!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast