+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: You're the manager

I’m going to have a wild guess and say that Wootton leaving was actually already agreed in the summer just gone. I imagine an agreement in seeing this season out in exchange for being given the vice captaincy (and whatever comes with it) will have been as far as they got in negotiating a new contract before realising it wasn’t going to happen.

I’d suggest that with this in mind the club looked for a future replacement and brought Mitchell in early to get him accustomed to the club and our style of play so he’s ready to step up when Wootton leaves. It’ll be sad to see him go, he’s given his all and been a good pro but I have a feeling Mitchell is very capable of filling that void.

Mitchell has been used sparingly so far and has not had the chance to lead the line himself but I do see something in him. He’s faster and more direct than Wootton and could give us more flexibility with our attacking options….I think we will see a slightly different attacking approach with him leading the line. He’s a bit of a rough diamond at the minute but this season will stand him in good stead for when he has to step up next year.

I’m more concerned about losing Rodrigues actually, but with him under contract we will at least get some decent wedge to find a replacement and maybe strengthen other areas in the squad at the same time.

I don’t for one minute think the owners haven’t tried to tie Wootton down already, it’d go against everything that we have seen from them so far…I think they have acted early and got Mitchell in, I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I’m going to have a wild guess and say that Wootton leaving was actually already agreed in the summer just gone. I imagine an agreement in seeing this season out in exchange for being given the vice captaincy (and whatever comes with it) will have been as far as they got in negotiating a new contract before realising it wasn’t going to happen.

I’d suggest that with this in mind the club looked for a future replacement and brought Mitchell in early to get him accustomed to the club and our style of play so he’s ready to step up when Wootton leaves. It’ll be sad to see him go, he’s given his all and been a good pro but I have a feeling Mitchell is very capable of filling that void.

Mitchell has been used sparingly so far and has not had the chance to lead the line himself but I do see something in him. He’s faster and more direct than Wootton and could give us more flexibility with our attacking options….I think we will see a slightly different attacking approach with him leading the line. He’s a bit of a rough diamond at the minute but this season will stand him in good stead for when he has to step up next year.

I’m more concerned about losing Rodrigues actually, but with him under contract we will at least get some decent wedge to find a replacement and maybe strengthen other areas in the squad at the same time.

I don’t for one minute think the owners haven’t tried to tie Wootton down already, it’d go against everything that we have seen from them so far…I think they have acted early and got Mitchell in, I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.
    I think it’s hard to work out the exact Wooton situation, I’d be very surprised if we hadn’t started conversations at the end of last season and I think IB was just towing the line when interviewed last month. Wooton will be gone and I think the club will reluctantly accept it has to be the end of the season, I imagine they might get 100k for him in Jan absolute tops and it’s not the time to risk promotion for that amount. Agree with u on Mitchell, I think he could be a very good player for us.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

Can't believe that is the case. The target this season is promotion. If we get it then we have a chance of keeping him. If we don't then we have no chance of keeping him unless we start splashing the cash big time which we won't. I don't see any point in hypothesizing about it. What will be will be. Let's hope he gets 25 goals this season and fires us to league 2!

Interesting thoughts and a hypothetical scenario which seems realistic and could easily be somewhere close to the truth.

Obviously us fans don't know what conversations have already happened and what goes on behind the scenes. And frankly that's the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Can't believe that is the case. The target this season is promotion. If we get it then we have a chance of keeping him. If we don't then we have no chance of keeping him unless we start splashing the cash big time which we won't. I don't see any point in hypothesizing about it. What will be will be. Let's hope he gets 25 goals this season and fires us to league 2!
    And that’s the issue if either of Rodrgues or Wootton go then they need to be replaced with similar ready to go replacements so the momentum of the season keeps going, not by hoping and fingers crossed that Sam or Mitchell may come good, promotion is the aim for most supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    And that’s the issue if either of Rodrgues or Wootton go then they need to be replaced with similar ready to go replacements so the momentum of the season keeps going, not by hoping and fingers crossed that Sam or Mitchell may come good, promotion is the aim for most supporters.
    The OP only asked about a short absence.
    Of course we'd need replacements if we lost anyone permanently

Yeah I was trying to steer it away from a topic/ hypothetical scenario (i.e. January sale)that has already been well covered by concentrating on an absence of 2/3 games max.

Seems that the folks on here suggest one of two possible solutions should be undertaken by IB if it were to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    The OP only asked about a short absence.
    Of course we'd need replacements if we lost anyone permanently
    Have a re-read what people are talking about now it’s gone off topic!

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Yeah I was trying to steer it away from a topic/ hypothetical scenario (i.e. January sale)that has already been well covered by concentrating on an absence of 2/3 games max.

Seems that the folks on here suggest one of two possible solutions should be undertaken by IB if it were to occur.
    Unfortunately these threads inevitably go off topic, but all in all it’s a great thread and discussion
    Last edited by keldsyke; 04-12-2021 at 01:23 PM.

It was a reasonable question for sure.
    More interesting than the more dramatic stuff actually....I think it's pointless talking about that until the next word on the subject from the club

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast