+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stockport County Post Match Thoughts

I thought we were really poor today and without doubt the worst performance of the season so far. I thought we played not enough football on the ground and too much in the air so we couldn't impose our quality on a team 2 divisions below. I don't like it when we have every player back on opposition corners as well so we just invited too much pressure on ourselves and taking Smith off made it even harder to hold on because we just carrying on hoofing it nobody but a win is a win I suppose and hopefully that's a one off performance.

Southam Hailes

Quote Originally Posted by millers88 View Post
    I thought we were really poor today and without doubt the worst performance of the season so far. I thought we played not enough football on the ground and too much in the air so we couldn't impose our quality on a team 2 divisions below. I don't like it when we have every player back on opposition corners as well so we just invited too much pressure on ourselves and taking Smith off made it even harder to hold on because we just carrying on hoofing it nobody but a win is a win I suppose and hopefully that's a one off performance.
    an off night but I thought we had just that bit of quality - To our recruitment team, and PW, please consider their winger, Southam-Hailes, thought he was a real handful

Credit to Stockport. They turned it into a Vanarama game, and they are pretty good at that. The one piece of real quality lead to the goal, and we missed several easy chances to increase our goal tally. They also had chances to force a replay. Referees confuse me these days. When was grabbing an opponent round the chest ever in the rules?
    Championship team away next round, 0-2.

Just back from match, and a massive credit to Stockport for how they played.
    I posted at h/t that they never gave us a minute on the ball and they carried that on into the 2nd half.
    IMO they didnt have enough quality to play through us, but constantly got the ball wide and put plenty of balls into our area, ring any bells?, and also got lots of free kicks and corners which was their main chance of scoring but we held out really well defensively although they had a late goal ruled out for offside.
    I thought Bromley in the first round were a better footballing team, but Stockport are a better stronger relentless unit, and on that showing tonight, should be a shoe in for at least a play off place, and if they can maintain this kind of performance then automatic can be achieved.
    For all their play we did open them up 2 or 3 times in the game and could have put the game to bed, but that was a full blooded cup tie which the ref tried to spoil for both teams, I would love to hear what the booking for Freddie was for with both him and their goalie going for a ball and their goalie got there first, his momentum took him straight thro Freddie, not a foul btw, and goalie fell down with the coming together, got a free kick and he booked freddie......he was awful for both teams IMO and nearly spoiled a good game. UTM

Not sure I agree with all these wishes for a 'big boy' in round 3. What's wrong with another couple of wins against lower opposition and then onto the dizzy heights of the 5th round and maybe beyond. It's 50+ years since we were there and many of us are running out of time to see us there again.

Been tonight and bearing in mind we have just played 4 games in 11 days it showed. A FULL first team squad on display showing business but, we were very slow out of the blocks and laboured all over the pitch.

Absolute credit to Stockport, they gave us a right game up to the final whistle. Our game plan was just hoof it anywhere, no matter where it went just hoof it and hope someone picked it up. Head tennis? it was a shambles of what we are capable of. No bite in midfield,
    Smudge and Freddie looking for the ball out of the sky most of the night, we made it bloody hard work.

Credit for our goal as it was well worked from Miller out on the left, MOTM tonight by a country mile for me, passed through and a delicate slide rule pass from Smith into the corner well away from their keeper, who by the way pulled some great saves off throughout the game.

I'll say it agin, we looked jaded and out of shape considering this was a very strong line up. Stockport to their credit gave it their all and Madden was a menace when he came on, thought they if they had played him from the start, he may have caused more havoc for us.

The Ref - boy does he not like the higher placed league side. Some yellows were uncalled for especially against Miller who you'd thought had taken Quigley's leg off with the theatricals, only to get up and resume play once he'd seen Miller booked. Hate to se that.
    Cards being dished out like confetti to ours but not to theirs?? Message for Smudge, pack in the petty fouls what you are doing, you will be on a 2 match ban for 10 yellows before you know it, you're better than that!!!

Rathbone is almost there again as he seemed to kick on in the second half and come alive but, only to be subbed and saved for Tuesday night. Too many of ours looked like they need a good rest but, we go again against Evo's side on Tuesday.

Message to Warney, give em Sat/Sun off and a touch of light training Monday is all that is needed to have them fresh for the next game, don't burn em out!

Well done Stockport and good luck for the rest of the season.
    Last edited by Brin; 03-12-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Been tonight and bearing in mind we have just played 4 games in 11 days it showed. A FULL first team squad on display showing business but, we were very slow out of the blocks and laboured all over the pitch.

Absolute credit to Stockport, they gave us a right game up to the final whistle. Our game plan was just hoof it anywhere, no matter where it went just hoof it and hope someone picked it up. Head tennis? it was a shambles of what we are capable of. No bite in midfield,
    Smudge and Freddie looking for the ball out of the sky most of the night, we made it bloody hard work.

Credit for our goal as it was well worked from Miller out on the left, MOTM tonight by a country mile for me, passed through and a delicate slide rule pass from Smith into the corner well away from their keeper, who by the way pulled some great saves off throughout the game.

I'll say it agin, we looked jaded and out of shape considering this was a very strong line up. Stockport to their credit gave it their all and Madden was a menace when he came on, thought they if they had played him from the start, he may have caused more havoc for us.

The Ref - boy does he not like the higher placed league side. Some yellows were uncalled for especially against Miller who you'd thought had taken Quigley's leg off with the theatricals, only to get up and resume play once he'd seen Miller booked. Hate to se that.
    Cards being dished out like confetti to ours but not to theirs?? Message for Smudge, pack in the petty fouls what you are doing, you will be on a 2 match ban for 10 yellows before you know it, you're better than that!!!

Rathbone is almost there again as he seemed to kick on in the second half and come alive but, only to be subbed and saved for Tuesday night. Too many of ours looked like they need a good rest but, we go again against Evo's side on Tuesday.

Message to Warney, give em Sat/Sun off and a touch of light training Monday is all that is needed to have them fresh for the next game, don't burn em out!

Can't disagree with the above Brin. Freddie was back to his old self, non effective, Grigg same when he came on. Midfield looked very jaded and "anywhere will do" attitude with hoof ball back in abudance. Ref was just ...rubbish altogether. He was noted as London, i hope he stays down south. Bring on Evo then next week.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Not sure I agree with all these wishes for a 'big boy' in round 3. What's wrong with another couple of wins against lower opposition and then onto the dizzy heights of the 5th round and maybe beyond. It's 50+ years since we were there and many of us are running out of time to see us there again.
    If we get a big boy CAM I'd like a not in brilliant form one, so maybe Spurs or Newcastle could be interesting, and as far as needle goes how about Peterboro, now that could be very interesting 😆 UTM

I only heard a radio commentary so hard to judge but we seemed a shadow of the side that dismantled Sunderland and taught Ipswich a lesson. Ok, they came at it like we did at Everton, but we really sounded like we were at sixes and sevens for a lot of the game. I hope we can get back to the side that we were when Gillingham come to town. We win with a rampant midfield taking possession and feeding a forward line hungry for goals. Neither seemed in abundance in this match.

Stockport’s support were phenomenal. It sounded like we were at an away match a long way from Rotherham playing a well supported major city team…

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

I went last night and i thought it was a decent game and the Stockport fans were superb in their backing for their team.The Millers scored a good goal and Ladapo should've scored in the 2nd half although saying that it was a very good block by the Stockport defender. I thought both keepers played well and in my opinion Rathbone had a good game.I think Stockport played some lovely football but my word i thought i was back watching in the Premier League with all the diving they were doing,especially Quigley.I was a bit disappointed in Ogbene and Miller but as i said it was a decent game in my opinion and i'm glad the Millers are in the next round and Ronnie Moore wants a away tie at Spurs. UTB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast