+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gomes

Gomes

Had a decent game for me , couple of errors, but ran back and chased. What I did notice is that on more than a couple of occasions he got himself on the edge of the box with the ball and wasn’t easily dispossessed…. Had some support been looking for space he could have delivered a chance….. I’d like to see him start a few games……

I was also impressed with Gomes - fine lines because his errors may have been the difference between getting a point or 3, as you say Jules he needed some more support at times.

Got to start the next game but with who?.....which is a big problem currently, Palmer was better yesterday but failing to convince me that he can nail a spot in the starting X1.

Agree lads. Gomez was MOTM for me. Very impressed

Had a good game but he doesn't half play in the wrong areas at times and that's surprising given the level of coaching he's had at Man City .

I'd bet fair money he doesn't do it at City but none the less it's a flaw in his game that needs removing if he's going to have a very good career .

If they call him Kante at City which I've read is his nickname then he should watch that lad and play with his head far more .

I can't knock the lads energy and enthusiasm and he is a talented lad but he can be a liability .

We most definitely don't need liabilities but as we know with this model that's what you get with young players .

Our midfield was shocking.
    On a number of occasions Palmer caught out out of position allowing Hudders in on goal.
    And Gomes on the edge of their penalty area a few times - but he either made a poor pass or kicked the ball high into the stand.
    Gomes needs sending back to City.
    He will probably be a good player in the future - but we are desperate for quality right now.

In the January window the midfield is where we need to strengthen.
    Along with writing off Obbi as a disastrous signing and bringing in another target striker.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 05-12-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    I was also impressed with Gomes - fine lines because his errors may have been the difference between getting a point or 3, as you say Jules he needed some more support at times.

Got to start the next game but with who?.....which is a big problem currently, Palmer was better yesterday but failing to convince me that he can nail a spot in the starting X1.
    Palmer was twice the player with Mowatt at his side and under Val he was only expected to hit areas of the pitch with the ball rather than get it down and pass .

The five sub rule also hid his lack of stamina to play the full 94 minutes .

Massively exposed this season in my opinion and if anyone is a metaphor from last season to this then it's young Palmer .

That said he's still got bags of potential and improvement in him , you don't get signed by Man City in this day and age if you haven't got talent somewhere with the quality they have in development football .

Ultimately it's down to him , getting that stamina up is the first step .

Gomes is still learning and if he continues to start he will improve I'm certain of that, it's down to Poya to coach him in the right way! We look better with him in there than we do when Benson plays!
    We need to play 2 up front Iseka and Morris and bolster the Midfield, personally I'd play Hondermarck he's looked solid when he's played and drives forward as well as being good at breaking up the opponents play!

There's a thing in football called chemistry or players who compliment each other .

I don't see the chemistry in our midfield and that's probably down to Gomes , Benson and Palmer not really having played together too often and of course inexperience .

I often said on here it would take Mowatt to leave before he was appreciated and do we miss his presence in there and I say that as someone who liked him but wasn't a massive fan either .

The elephant in the room is Herbie Kane of course , would he have blossomed this season with the ball on the floor more ?

Possibly but not necessarily I guess .

Clearly Schopp didn't think so but then again when did that idiot get anything right ? .

That's the main thing I can't understand at the moment Perky. Hondermarck has looked really good the few times I've seen him. He's athletic, runs/drives forward with the ball and breaks play up like you say. Why wouldn't you play him.

Gomes looks a decent young player as does Palmer just a little lightweight especially in the tackling department.

These two will improve with the right coach and the right coaching system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast