+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooney to Everton?

So long as it didn't put off the buyers, it's a "win" all round.

Apparently third in the running now, just ahead of Lampard but behind Hjulmand and Nuno Espírito Santo.
    I don’t know, or care, about Everton, but they seem to have dabbled unsuccessfully with too many big names and made zero progress in recent years. Maybe it’s local hero - Rooney and Ferguson - time for them. Could they do much worse?
    If it reduces our debt and means we get a manager with knowledge of the lower leagues that maybe won’t be all bad.

Everton have to be one of the most pointless teams in the history of the premiership. 95% mediocre, sometimes flatter to deceive, sometimes toy with the bottom 6, but neither extreme ever really seriously. If I were an Everton fan I would be desperate for something - anything - to make me enthusiastic or to engage with the team. So maybe an ex start player and local hero is it, but they would still end up 11th!

Rooney would have everything to lose going to his hometown club undercooked as a manager, and little to gain. Bit like Lampard going back to Chelsea when not quite ready for the step up. I cant imagine money motivates him any longer, so I'd sit in the lower leagues and learn his trade first - maybe derby in ts current state isnt the right place, but I wouldnt head home.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Apparently third in the running now, just ahead of Lampard but behind Hjulmand and Nuno Espírito Santo.
    I don’t know, or care, about Everton, but they seem to have dabbled unsuccessfully with too many big names and made zero progress in recent years. Maybe it’s local hero - Rooney and Ferguson - time for them. Could they do much worse?
    If it reduces our debt and means we get a manager with knowledge of the lower leagues that maybe won’t be all bad.
    Its nonsense! The shareholder who tweeted has no influence, no power and is renowned for uttering rubbish like this apparently.

Also I'm fairly certain that Rooney does not have the required coaching qualifications either.

As for any compo, isn't that complicated by our situation? In administration that may well affect Rooney's contract, given the change of circumstances would be due any compo?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its nonsense! The shareholder who tweeted has no influence, no power and is renowned for uttering rubbish like this apparently.

Also I'm fairly certain that Rooney does not have the required coaching qualifications either.

As for any compo, isn't that complicated by our situation? In administration that may well affect Rooney's contract, given the change of circumstances would be due any compo?
    I don’t make the ‘odds’, Swale. The suggestion is Rooney and Ferguson in tandem and I think the latter does have the relevant qualifications.

Who knows? Have to get rid of Benitez first, but as GP says...’it’s a bit like Lampard going back to Chelsea’.
    Perhaps controversially, while Lampard may be more articulate, I actually think that Rooney has, given all the circumstances, done the better job at Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

In an administration, I don't believe employment contracts change, except by agreement between the employer and employee. The administrator simply becomes an agent of the company and effectively act in lieu of the directors. Its a different matter in a liquidation though

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    In an administration, I don't believe employment contracts change, except by agreement between the employer and employee. The administrator simply becomes an agent of the company and effectively act in lieu of the directors. Its a different matter in a liquidation though
    Employment contracts are carried over, the phrase is 'novated'

Who of us knows how Rooney is employed though?

I don't actually think they are novated in an administration as that infers the contract would be transferred to a new (hence nova....) employer. There is no new employer, just a new party acting as controller of the existing employer - assuming the club in admin was and is is the legal employer, as opposed to a different employing company that may not be in admin.

Furthermore if the employment contract was novated in this way it would (for playing staff) be in breach of 3rd party ownership of player contract rules, Mr Tevez.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Employment contracts are carried over, the phrase is 'novated'

Who of us knows how Rooney is employed though?
    That is indeed the phrase and generally applies to all contracts. BUT, football managers contracts are different from your average employment contract and a material change in the circumstances of the club beyond the managers control such as a relegation are often allowed for in a clause which allows a manager to leave with no compo payable.

Then as you say, how actually is Rooney paid and by whom? Given a large proportion of his wages as a player were paid by the gambling company.

Thats a tad ironic, the gambling company being symbolic of Mel's gamble with the club's existence.

I didn't say you did, but it is Bookies " making " a market and encouraging the naïve to get rid of their cash!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)