+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooney to Everton?

Rooney to Everton?

Should Everton’s winless run be extended to nine matches tonight it may be that Benitez’s position becomes untenable.
    There already appears to be a great deal of unrest on the blue side of Merseyside and much talk of Rooney taking over.
    The links are obvious and, for WR, probably irresistible. Can’t see that he and Duncan Ferguson would be any less successful than Rafa has been but where would it leave us?
    Probably make no difference at all to the outcome of this season, but does us being ‘Wayne Rooney’s Derby County’ make us a more attractive purchase?

yes is presence probably does make us more saleable but would Everton's self image as "a big club" allow them to contemplate a rookie manager. even if a folk hero - and in any event has he passed the necessary badges for a job in the PL?

Everton have aspirations to be a regular top 6 club. I'm struggling to see how a rookie manager in his first job with a win rate of 25% or thereabouts will fit the bill, folk cult hero or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Everton have aspirations to be a regular top 6 club. I'm struggling to see how a rookie manager in his first job with a win rate of 25% or thereabouts will fit the bill, folk cult hero or not.
    They may have those aspirations, MA...but are they realistic?
    I think not. They’ve been the second of three Merseyside clubs for almost as long as anyone can remember.
    Apart from a brief spell in the ‘80’s (?) they’ve known little in the way of success and have done well to be one of only two clubs (the other coincidentally being Arsenal) who I think have been in the top flight throughout our lifetimes.
    As we know only too well at Derby...aspirations have to be realistic...they always seem to think they’re on the cusp of big things but it seldom materialises. They’re going nowhere in the short term and it might be the right time for a local hero to gain the experience he needs.

I mean, we took him on. There are some crazy chairmen out there who'd do such stupid things!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    They may have those aspirations, MA...but are they realistic?
    I think not. They’ve been the second of three Merseyside clubs for almost as long as anyone can remember.
    Apart from a brief spell in the ‘80’s (?) they’ve known little in the way of success and have done well to be one of only two clubs (the other coincidentally being Arsenal) who I think have been in the top flight throughout our lifetimes.
    As we know only too well at Derby...aspirations have to be realistic...they always seem to think they’re on the cusp of big things but it seldom materialises. They’re going nowhere in the short term and it might be the right time for a local hero to gain the experience he needs.
    The differenc eis that Everton do have th financial backing required, though as has been shown, it takes more than just money to be successful. However, I very much doubt Rooney has the coaching badges for the Prem, has he even got them for the championship? So this is just speculation in the media which seems way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    The differenc eis that Everton do have th financial backing required, though as has been shown, it takes more than just money to be successful. However, I very much doubt Rooney has the coaching badges for the Prem, has he even got them for the championship? So this is just speculation in the media which seems way off the mark.
    He didn't when he got the job. Rosenior DOES have them. You can get away with having a qualified Assistant Manager in the EFL but I don't think you can in the PL.

In his capacity as an Everton shareholder, and following yet another defeat at Palace yesterday, Mike Parry has apparently tweeted the Goodison masses in support of Rooney taking over from Benitez.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    In his capacity as an Everton shareholder, and following yet another defeat at Palace yesterday, Mike Parry has apparently tweeted the Goodison masses in support of Rooney taking over from Benitez.
    Would that mean, that should Everton come in and offer a compo package. Would they (admin), take the cash and send him on his way?

That would probably be "Happy Days" .... for HMRC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)