+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FA cup 3rd round draw tonight.

FA cup 3rd round draw tonight.

Albion v Brighton

My god doesn’t the FA Cup just stink nowadays?

It’s years since we had a remotely interesting tie, I think the last one I enjoyed was when we won 1-5 at Bristol Rovers the year we got to the semi when Kanu and Portsmouth robbed us.

Villa or Wolves or Blues away or Kiddie home or away or Port Vale away would’ve been interesting but Brighton at home......f u c k sake!

I remember 78 when we beat United in the replay at our place 3-2 in awful weather, Regis immense and Joe Jordan stamping on John Wile’s chest while he was flat on his back at the Brummie Road end.

The ref missed it but we didn’t and neither did Ally Rob and he kicked Jordan all over the park for the rest of the match by way of retribution.

Then we beat Blackpool 4-1 with Willie scoring and making Paul Hart look like a mug.

Then a 2-3 win away at Derby before busting Forest’s 30+ match unbeaten run 2-0 at our place before losing to Ipswich in the semi at Highbury.

THAT was football.......THAT was real, THAT is what intoxicated me about football.

This era does nothing for me and I f u c k I n g hate the new Wembley, an insult to the original ground.

Absolute b o l l o x of a tournament.

Sadly I also lost interest with so many clubs (ourselves included) using the fixtures as training opportunities.
    Back in the day 1960s, I have great memories at school rushing into the playground after the draw had been made to read the purposely set up blackboard with the local clubs’ fixtures.
    The draw must have been made during the day ?
    Whilst we are still season ticket holders, we have not been to a Cup match for ages.
    As an aside, I would certainly play Cleary though.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    My god doesn’t the FA Cup just stink nowadays?

It’s years since we had a remotely interesting tie, I think the last one I enjoyed was when we won 1-5 at Bristol Rovers the year we got to the semi when Kanu and Portsmouth robbed us.

Villa or Wolves or Blues away or Kiddie home or away or Port Vale away would’ve been interesting but Brighton at home......f u c k sake!

I remember 78 when we beat United in the replay at our place 3-2 in awful weather, Regis immense and Joe Jordan stamping on John Wile’s chest while he was flat on his back at the Brummie Road end.

The ref missed it but we didn’t and neither did Ally Rob and he kicked Jordan all over the park for the rest of the match by way of retribution.

Then we beat Blackpool 4-1 with Willie scoring and making Paul Hart look like a mug.

Then a 2-3 win away at Derby before busting Forest’s 30+ match unbeaten run 2-0 at our place before losing to Ipswich in the semi at Highbury.

THAT was football.......THAT was real, THAT is what intoxicated me about football.

This era does nothing for me and I f u c k I n g hate the new Wembley, an insult to the original ground.

Absolute b o l l o x of a tournament.
    I went to all of those games, including the draw at Old Trafford when Coppel scored with the last kick of the game which resulted in the replay. In the replay Gordon Hill again equalised with the last kick of the game before Regis won it in extra time.
    Games against Manchester United have always been a bit special.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I went to all of those games, including the draw at Old Trafford when Coppel scored with the last kick of the game which resulted in the replay. In the replay Gordon Hill again equalised with the last kick of the game before Regis won it in extra time.
    Games against Manchester United have always been a bit special.
    Weren't those the games when both in the first tie and the replay, goals were scored by United when the ball hit the post and rebounded back off Godden and into the net. I could be wrong though!

Means nothing to me. Pointless. chances of winning are pretty much Zero. I would get much more excited if we bought a top striker in January. I fear neither things are going to happen.

If there is one thing that illustrates the difference between The Cup now and then for me it's this.

If we had a cup replay now v a 3rd division team on a January night what do you reckon the attendance? 8,000?

January 1968 1/3 round replay v 3rd Division Colchester United attendance 38,448.

I only missed Saints away. I reckon every match was a sell out!
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 07-12-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I'm looking forward to it.
    With all the other 'exciting' matches available, ours will be 3pm on a Saturday, not many of those this season.
    I watched the draw on ITV4, it was embarrassing, cringe worthy at best.

I remember us playing at home against S c u n thope inbred FA Cup in the mid 80’s midweek and there was well over 20,000 there from memory.

I was actually ejected from the ground that night, my only ever expulsion! 🤣

I was sat in my car when our winning goal was scored! 😤

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I remember us playing at home against S c u n thope inbred FA Cup in the mid 80’s midweek and there was well over 20,000 there from memory.

I was actually ejected from the ground that night, my only ever expulsion! 🤣

I was sat in my car when our winning goal was scored! 😤
    Did you get your own cheerio chant Mick 👍

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)