+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Howe - Lute Concerto in D Major / Mood For A Day

Steve Howe - Lute Concerto in D Major / Mood For A Day

No doubting his talent howoldboy but it just didn't do anything for me,to slow to start and then didn't really go anywhere,can he do Smoke On The Water?

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    No doubting his talent howoldboy but it just didn't do anything for me,to slow to start and then didn't really go anywhere,can he do Smoke On The Water?
    Yes.

What do you mean it "didn't really go anywhere".

It was the perfect lead up to Starship Trooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3AQXtqY0Es

Amazing how many classically trained musicians there were in prog back in the day; Howe was/is a great talent. Who could forget his amazing 'guitar on a stick' when playing with Yes? Chalky, look at that again and admire the musicianship. He's actually picking out a bass-line with his thumb as well as playing those pieces.

I'm not saying that he hadn't got talent Griff/howoldboy because he has but it just didn't do anything for me,maybe it's because I don't like Yes or something and Prog Rock is insanely boring to me,there's a reason that Punk exploded onto the scene and it's mostly down to prog musicians who got self obsessed and doing 20 minute solos, I'm pretty sure that I've never heard the Clash/Pistols/Ramones etc say that they got into music because they liked Emerson,Lake and Palmer

Yeah, mate, but how long did punk last? It evolved pretty quickly into post-punk which was far better and led to Indie music. Prog hasn’t gone away through it all. Have a look at Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson when you have a minute or two. I’ve recently bought some second-hand Steve Hackett (ex Genesis) vinyl on e-Bay and it’s as fresh to me now as it was when it was recorded in the 70s. That’s my generation though, and I can accept that others won’t agree.

Prog is/was the gift that keeps on giving.

Traffic - jazz prog
    ELP - orchestral prog
    Jethro Tull - folk prog

Etc…..

This is exactly what I mean Griff,punk moved on and evolved,I would say that it lasted two years before developing into New Wave and then New Romantics,Indie labels and bands blossomed thanks to punk,it was the shark that music needed to ignite the fire and what did prog do,nothing absolutely nothing,just stayed the same and it's no wonder that Gabriel moved out of Genesis so that he could move with the times

The point I make is that if punk was that big a refresh it would have killed prog off and it never did. Consider this - if prog hasn’t changed, might that be because there have always been folk liking it enough so that it doesn’t have to?

Kenny Rogers
    The Nolans
    Jon & Vangelis
    Captain Beaky
    Dollar
    Dr Hook
    Queen
    Jefferson Starship
    Rupert Holmes
    The Shadows
    Cliff Richard
    Kool and the Gang

Punk was dead by 1980, still evolving into something else, and people hadn’t been fooled. Those artists above had songs in the top 20 in early February 1980 which shows that other genres were still popular. OK, Madness were there too as were the Boomtown Rat and The Pretenders but I really don’t agree that punk either was, or heralded in, the new musical messiah. A and R men in the business changed music according to demand. Prog always was, and still is, more album orientated anyway and never disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    The point I make is that if punk was that big a refresh it would have killed prog off and it never did. Consider this - if prog hasn’t changed, might that be because there have always been folk liking it enough so that it doesn’t have to?
    I love 50's rock n roll and doo wop,it's dead and buried to the masses but there's still something fresh and new to listen to if you know where to search and look,it never disappeared but even that had a resurgence in the late 70's with the Stray Cats, Polecats and Crazy Cavern etc and that in itself evolved into Psychobilly which you can see young bands play today,Prog will always have it's fans just like folk music but it never moved on,punk changed the music scene,there would be no New Order,Oasis or Smith's without members of a pre Buzzcocks going to a Pistols gig and come out wanting to form a band,punk was as important to music in 76 as Elvis,Jerry Lee and Gene was back in '56,when did prog become important,when did it make front page tabloid news?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)