+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Steve Howe - Lute Concerto in D Major / Mood For A Day

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits,what a great album this is,yeah I know that greatest hits are to be sneered at by the purists but the share class of I Need Your Love (a cover I think), Albatross and Man Of The World plus the brilliant Oh Well makes this any blues fan should own, Fleetwood Mac went mainstream after Green left and evolved into world superstars but you know what,I kinda wish that they hadnt

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post

The good news...

I ended up playing some solo work of Jon and absolutely loved it,I Hear You Now is so beautiful I envy those of you in love 10/10, I'm going to listen to the first two solo albums next
    I never got around to listening to the first two albums for one reason or another but I bought a second hand copy of their greatest hits off Amazon cheap and thoroughly enjoyed it,I Hear You Now and I'll Find My Way Home are exceptional songs and Jon shows what a beautiful voice he has,also on the there was State Of Independence which I know from Donna Summer version but I didn't know that it was a cover of a Jon and Vangelis single,any of you old proggers like them?

They were OK but I never bought ny of their stuff. You’re right about early Fleetwood Mac though, probably my favourite band back then. Green Manalishi a standout track.

Tonight I've mostly been listening to Bruce Springs**** back to back and I've got to say what great albums that The River and Born In The USA are, absolutely fantastic songs on both of them and a 10/10 from me,thing is though I had originally wanted to hear Johnny Bye Bye and I remembered it being on the Born In The USA or The River but there's no sign of it anywhere 🤔 Nevermind,still worth the replay of two great albums

A lot of folk won’t like this, but I’ve never much likes Springst­een’s music. I always listened to it and though it was American blue-collar music aimed at blue-collar, apple-pie eating Americans. Some of his more recent stuff is far better, but I don’t want to hear about wall-to-wall Americana in music. A bit of a one-trick pony for most of his career unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    A bit of a one-trick pony for most of his career unfortunately.
    Im lost for words, honestly I'm stunned by that one sentence alone,sure he's got an image of speaking for the working man but some of his songs are bordering on poetry imo,his 70/80's albums are especially good,have you got Netflix,watch a film called Blinded By The Light about a young Pakistani lad discovering Bruce on the 80's,it's a true story (mostly) to boot,Born To Run still makes me pick up my air guitar 40 years after first hearing it and every time I meet someone called Wendy they instantly reminded me of it

Nah, not for me. Music aimed at Americans which doesn’t translate well here for me. Sorry Bruce fans.

If you want poetry, have a look at some of Chris Rea’s stuff from around the same time.

“Joys Of Christmas"

I see all the tough guys still not 25
    Dying on their feet
    Coughing, honking, cadging cigarettes
    And still out on the street
    Well, they got no money, nowhere to go
    Fathers of 2, 3 maybe 4, what are they gonna do
    Jimmy got a busted mouth in a fight last night
    He says he's OK
    Going down to the workies club (that's a laugh)
    To buy something strong and take the pain away

Joys of Christmas
    Joys of Christmas
    Northern style

Flashing Christmas light of police blue
    Go spinning down the street
    Women try to drag the men from pubs
    Into the stores
    Unworked hands in empty pockets deep
    We stand outside the neon ice and wish ourselves the best
    He says he's OK, out of work and fighting
    Is all he's ever known
    And laughs and says I worry too much anyway

Joys of Christmas
    Joys of Christmas
    Northern style
    Let's drink to the likes of Jim
    Before we all go insane
    And please don't ask me why
    It'll take too long to explain
    Joys of Christmas

That’s about living in Thatcher’s Britain in the North East of England, far more resonant to me than anything BS wrote because it’s something I can relate to. “Unworked hands in empty pockets deep” still gets me today.

Rea is indeed a great musician and song writer,I first heard of him when Elkie Brookes went into the charts with Fool If You Think It's Over and I mentioned at work how good I thought that the song was and somebody said that they preferred the original version,I didn't even know that Elkies version was a cover (no internet days then) and the next day I was given the Rea version to listen to, initially I thought that it was ok but not as good as the version in the charts at the time but as the years past I slowly grew to appreciate the original more and more and looked into Rea's back catalogue and wasn't disappointed,I've still got that single that I was "lent" somewhere and I won't get rid of it because it tells a story to me,it played a small part of my love of music and when I look at it it takes me right back to working in a really crappy job with some very dubious characters but upon reflection was great times

What about Tell Me There's A Heaven? If there's ever a sing that can make me feel down about the world it's that one,written about his six year old daughter watching lynchings in South Africa on the news on TV

An excellent choice of yours btw Griff 😎

Here’s another by a band that you’ll know. It always seems to be more about the development of the USA than the UK but what do I know? By one of the best UK lyricists.

A long time ago came a man on a track
    Walking thirty miles with a sack on his back
    And he put down his load where he thought it was the best
    Made a home in the wilderness
    He built a cabin and a winter store
    And he plowed up the ground by the cold lake shore
    And the other travelers came walking down the track
    And they never went further, no, they never went back
    Then came the churches then came the schools
    Then came the lawyers then came the rules
    Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
    And the dirty old track was the telegraph road

Then came the mines - then came the ore
    Then there was the hard times then there was a war
    Telegraph sang a song about the world outside
    Telegraph road got so deep and so wide
    Like a rolling river...

And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze
    People driving home from the factories
    There's six lanes of traffic
    Three lanes moving slow...

I used to like to go to work but they shut it down
    I got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found
    Yes and they say we're gonna have to pay what's owed
    We're gonna have to reap from some seed that's been sowed
    And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
    They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
    You can hear them singing out their telegraph code
    All the way down the telegraph road

You know I'd sooner forget but I remember those nights
    When life was just a bet on a race between the lights
    You had your head on my shoulder you had your hand in my hair
    Now you act a little colder like you don't seem to care
    But believe in me baby and I'll take you away
    From out of this darkness and into the day
    From these rivers of headlights these rivers of rain
    From the anger that lives on the streets with these names
    'Cos I've run every red light on memory lane
    I've seen desperation explode into flames
    And I don't want to see it again...

From all of these signs saying sorry but we're closed
    All the way down the telegraph road

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)