+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lincoln

Lincoln

Here we go again! Any optimism? Little glimmers in the last three games and Porter and Long developing a partnership.
    Lincoln have hit a bad run, not winning in the league since October and losing at home to Hartlepool. Their fans point out that their worse form is at home and away form is better. However their attacking has produced poor returns in recent weeks. On the other hand, they are reasonably content with their defence.
    Hopefully our wobbly defence won't boost the confidence of their attack!
    It also seems that the referee has awarded 4 penalties in the last 5 games so hopefully the back line will not give him any excuse to award another. It also means we should get in the box more than we usually do.
    So who should be playing? A lot of us are cheered by the appearance of our own youngsters getting stuck in. Do we persist with them or be sparing with their use. At least now we have 4 players of our own to be considered for central defensive roles. However, against Ipswich the average of the back 3 was barely over 20. Is that sustainable in this division? Whatever, we also have 2 wingbacks with promise even If Rio has lost a bit of confidence. Have we ever had a potential back 5 of our own before? ( thinks...yes we have as we've had 2 starting 11s in recent taken 'wholly' from the academy). I'm trying to boost optimism for the future here!
    Anyway, I would stick with the three at the back from the Ipswich game. Rio is still an automatic. Possibly Ainley to begin at rwb. If anything he might blitz at them for most of a half. (And then he can be replaced!)
    Lowery is an automatic. That leaves 2 in the midfield. I wouldn't choose Gomes and I'm disinclined to pick Finney but I suspect he'll play even though he is useless when we're out of possession. So the remaining place is between Murphy and Griffiths. I'm tending to think of giving Griffiths my nomination as there were very positive signs of a linking partnership between him and Lowery at Ipswich and he needs a chance to develop that.
    Obviously the front 2 should be Porter and Long.
    I hope Rio has got a bit of his mojo back and offers some attacking options with his crossing/shooting abilities.
    Prediction? I'm going out on a limb here while at the same time playing safe (?) Either it will 3-2 for us or 1-0 to them.
    Sorry for the ramble and slight incoherence but it's all off the top of my head.
    COYR!🤞✌🎢❄⚽️

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Here we go again! Any optimism? Little glimmers in the last three games and Porter and Long developing a partnership.
    Lincoln have hit a bad run, not winning in the league since October and losing at home to Hartlepool. Their fans point out that their worse form is at home and away form is better. However their attacking has produced poor returns in recent weeks. On the other hand, they are reasonably content with their defence.
    Hopefully our wobbly defence won't boost the confidence of their attack!
    It also seems that the referee has awarded 4 penalties in the last 5 games so hopefully the back line will not give him any excuse to award another. It also means we should get in the box more than we usually do.
    So who should be playing? A lot of us are cheered by the appearance of our own youngsters getting stuck in. Do we persist with them or be sparing with their use. At least now we have 4 players of our own to be considered for central defensive roles. However, against Ipswich the average of the back 3 was barely over 20. Is that sustainable in this division? Whatever, we also have 2 wingbacks with promise even If Rio has lost a bit of confidence. Have we ever had a potential back 5 of our own before? ( thinks...yes we have as we've had 2 starting 11s in recent taken 'wholly' from the academy). I'm trying to boost optimism for the future here!
    Anyway, I would stick with the three at the back from the Ipswich game. Rio is still an automatic. Possibly Ainley to begin at rwb. If anything he might blitz at them for most of a half. (And then he can be replaced!)
    Lowery is an automatic. That leaves 2 in the midfield. I wouldn't choose Gomes and I'm disinclined to pick Finney but I suspect he'll play even though he is useless when we're out of possession. So the remaining place is between Murphy and Griffiths. I'm tending to think of giving Griffiths my nomination as there were very positive signs of a linking partnership between him and Lowery at Ipswich and he needs a chance to develop that.
    Obviously the front 2 should be Porter and Long.
    I hope Rio has got a bit of his mojo back and offers some attacking options with his crossing/shooting abilities.
    Prediction? I'm going out on a limb here while at the same time playing safe (?) Either it will 3-2 for us or 1-0 to them.
    Sorry for the ramble and slight incoherence but it's all off the top of my head.
    COYR!🤞✌🎢❄⚽️

Can’t see Dave changing the formation 5-3-2 it will be likely that Kashkett will start at RWB to be replaced by Ainley after 70mins or so nursing Ainley back gently considering he recent injury record. Midfield 3 will be Murphy, Lowery and Griffiths I assume Robertson injured ? I heard he had a slight ankle problem, Porter and Long up front. Going for 2-0 to Crewe tonight if the game is on pitch will have to survive some horrendous weather before and during the game if the weather is to be believed.

Long missing - injury from last week? - Porter & Mandron up front. No Kashket either. Murph on bench.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Long missing - injury from last week? - Porter & Mandron up front. No Kashket either. Murph on bench.

Throughly enjoyed the game tonight a terrific performance from the lads in all departments. The injury/Illness curse struck again before kick off with Ports having to withdraw but little Ben Knight took his place and was a constant thorn in the Lincoln defence deserved a goal for his endeavours but he ran himself into the ground. Ainley was very good at RWB his position for the future ? Lowery best midfielder on the pitch. The defence were very solid Zac Williams brilliant on the ball and on a couple of occasions strolled forward from the back with purpose one of the best CH the club has produced in a good while. Play like that Saturday and 3 more points beckons. Got the score spot on again tonight so a good night all round.

Really pleased to see all of the backline/midfield made up of Academy players.
    Looks like the players are more comfortable with the 5-3-2 formation now.
    Big up to Mandron+Knight who dun good in the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Throughly enjoyed the game tonight a terrific performance from the lads in all departments. The injury/Illness curse struck again before kick off with Ports having to withdraw but little Ben Knight took his place and was a constant thorn in the Lincoln defence deserved a goal for his endeavours but he ran himself into the ground. Ainley was very good at RWB his position for the future ? Lowery best midfielder on the pitch. The defence were very solid Zac Williams brilliant on the ball and on a couple of occasions strolled forward from the back with purpose one of the best CH the club has produced in a good while. Play like that Saturday and 3 more points beckons. Got the score spot on again tonight so a good night all round.
    The other thing about young Zac was Lincoln clearly put the big forward sub on in the last 20 minutes with instructions to be physical with him and perhaps unsettle a youthful CH, but it didn't faze him at all, stood up to all the battering like a veteran. He'll only get stronger too like Billy Sass has.

Praise to Mika for scoring two pens so close together against a keeper who made a few great saves later, when an hour or so before he would have been expecting Ports to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Well done getting the score right. I see now you appreciate how good Lowery is :0)

Spot on score, Wartman!
    Much more positive than myself on the game as well!
    I felt the Alex were rather insipid at times. There were quite a few moments of quality in the game, though. Robertson only had about 5 minutes but seemed to be back to his best. Lowery tried too hard at times but is still one of the best players on the pitch. I thought Murphy, when he came on, added a bit more direction.
    I was disappointed that Ainley was taken off instead of replacing Finney in the number 10 slot when Travis came on. Knight was very busy and seems to coming on. Everybody has talked about Zac and I have to concur. What a player the Alex have developed. What a future he's got.
    My one gripe was the messing around with the ball at the back. They may have thought they were 'managing the game' but we all know that we are often at our most vulnerable in these situations. 'Game management' is best done in the middle or up front. While the ball is there, there is no immediate threat. OR we could just go and do something about our atrocious goal difference.
    Final question: is Richards our no.1 now?