+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 matches until Jan window

6 matches until Jan window

6 tough looking games until the next window opens, when maybe / if / possibly, we will strengthen the squad. Think now, more than ever, its clear whats needed.
    Meantime squad has to scrap for every point going, pray no more injuries, so that come Jan we still have chance to build & pull away from bottom 4-5.

Need to get things in the pipeline now as well - no point fannying about like we usually do - the sh1t has just hit the fan big time and NOW is the time to get the wheels in motion so we have it sorted soon as poss.

As I believe Sir big red beak nose once said "it's squeaky bum time".

Not sure going out an signing some disenchanted overpaid rejects mid season is the answer. Some very good players possibly available but also some real polished turds. we seem to do badly in the Jan transfer window.

wonder if giving 2 or 3 of the U-23's a serious run would not be better. Sturjik worked out well. Cresswell, Drameh and Joffy seem quite capable of playing some big minutes in the prem.

If Bate is physically up to it then he is worth a try too - he looks very good in the u23s but until he steps up who knows. Also like how Greenwood has stepped up a gear and bulked up this year - he plays a lot in midfield too and looked okay second half v Arsenal in the cup.

Is the Bamford new injury confirmed too?

Expecting an U23's player to come in and do a job while in a relegation battle is a huge risk in my opinion..but we may not have a choice!
    Last edited by Rev72; 08-12-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Expecting an U23's player to come in and do a job while in a relegation battle is a huge risk in my opinion..but we may not have a choice!
    Don't disagree but really every option in the Jan window is a pretty big risk. Let's face it, the reasons for a prem level player a player in Jan are pretty narrow

1) Offloading a player that isn't getting the job done, or a clubhouse lawyer and was overpaid. I think this is the most likely
    2) Cutting payroll due to financial pressures or preventing future financial issues. This seems to be the most common for teams not in a league with huge TV revenue deals or with strict financial "fair play" rules
    3) Giving a player a chance to play that won't get playing time due to better players in front of him. Not uncommon for teams like Citeh or Chelski with very successful acadamies.

Picking up a player from a lower league for immediate usage is often as risky or even more risky that promoting one of our U-23's.

I know some of the posters have commented that the time to prevent this is in the summer window. However, MB has always run very thin squads. Not sure that Orta or Radz had a real choice on this without risking upsetting MB.

Agree with above post, about summer business / risk of friction etc with MB, but surely now in clubs present position & predicament / 49ers etc, Radz & Orta have to stand firm, and if you like show whos boss, with regard to Jan players in. The club is No 1 priority, along with Prem survival, so it it means ruffling MB"s feathers, then so be it - who knows his plans, apart from the guy himself.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Don't disagree but really every option in the Jan window is a pretty big risk. Let's face it, the reasons for a prem level player a player in Jan are pretty narrow

1) Offloading a player that isn't getting the job done, or a clubhouse lawyer and was overpaid. I think this is the most likely
    2) Cutting payroll due to financial pressures or preventing future financial issues. This seems to be the most common for teams not in a league with huge TV revenue deals or with strict financial "fair play" rules
    3) Giving a player a chance to play that won't get playing time due to better players in front of him. Not uncommon for teams like Citeh or Chelski with very successful acadamies.

Picking up a player from a lower league for immediate usage is often as risky or even more risky that promoting one of our U-23's.

I know some of the posters have commented that the time to prevent this is in the summer window. However, MB has always run very thin squads. Not sure that Orta or Radz had a real choice on this without risking upsetting MB.

So again the moans will focus on Roberts no doubt & young Joffy's actions will obviously come under intense scrutiny, such is the life of a footballer.

Personally, I'm not one for 'catastrophizing' a situation - like everything, catastrophizing has a useful emotional-release side as it'll mean you are never disappointed when bad things do actually happen.
    For me football wise, it should be a good opportunity for those that step in to show some 'balls' and cement a place in the team whilst turning the tide.

Damn sure MB will keep to his calm logical and lateral thinking patterns, use his support network of sensible people to call on if need be.

Although, he was spotted at Morrisons supermarket Wetherby late Tuesday filling 2 trolley loads of food instead of his usual weekly 1 which could indicate he's bunkering in for some busy late nights analysis - no booze in either trolley I'm reliably informed.

I would fall in the category of a "Roberts Moaner". He's an average player at his level. The problem is that he's potentially filling in for above average players such as Bamford or Phillips. It's not really fair but then life's not fair. Rodrigo, Klich, Firpo and Harrison are also average, at best, this season.

The real problem is that we appear to have some well above average players in our youth ranks. we won't know until they get put into the fire. However, maybe throwing them in against the leagues best is a great time to do that. We aren't really expected to do anything against Chelski, Citeh or Lpool. Especially with a side facing the injuries we have and a short bench.

Let's face it. Phillips, Bamford, Dallas, Strujik and to some degree Raph are where they are at because of MB. Maybe he could get Joffy, Bate, Greenwood, Cresswell and Drameh to that level faster that anyone else could. we need them bad.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I would fall in the category of a "Roberts Moaner". He's an average player at his level. The problem is that he's potentially filling in for above average players such as Bamford or Phillips. It's not really fair but then life's not fair. Rodrigo, Klich, Firpo and Harrison are also average, at best, this season.

The real problem is that we appear to have some well above average players in our youth ranks. we won't know until they get put into the fire. However, maybe throwing them in against the leagues best is a great time to do that. We aren't really expected to do anything against Chelski, Citeh or Lpool. Especially with a side facing the injuries we have and a short bench.

Let's face it. Phillips, Bamford, Dallas, Strujik and to some degree Raph are where they are at because of MB. Maybe he could get Joffy, Bate, Greenwood, Cresswell and Drameh to that level faster that anyone else could. we need them bad.
    Drameh JG Creswell Summer all have already proven they can handle the rise but unfortunately, he just won't play them so for them to come in now all of a sudden is asking too much. He's should have been playing them instead of freakin around moving players all over the place.
    If we go down which now looks more likely than unlikely the three muppets in charge have to take the blame.
    Thought roller coasters were for Lunar Parks but Leeds is becoming like one. We start getting heavy defeats from now Jan won't save us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)