+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omicron Thread.

The Omicron Thread.

I thought we might have one single post to deal with the latest variant and something to refer back to in future months.

Allow me to kick this off.

Total overkill and hyperbole with this import from South Africa in my opinion.

I predict this will turn out to be the mildest form of the variant yet and that hospitals will not be overrun and less people than ever will die from it.

I believe that Omicron or the type that follows it will end up being the lasting legacy for Covid and will end up being no more dangerous than the common cold for those who are sensible enough to have an annual jab.

I also predict that politicians and the media will continue to panic and push the negativity on a regular basis as it suits them to do so.

There is NOTHING to see here, absolutely NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I thought we might have one single post to deal with the latest variant and something to refer back to in future months.

Allow me to kick this off.

Total overkill and hyperbole with this import from South Africa in my opinion.

I predict this will turn out to be the mildest form of the variant yet and that hospitals will not be overrun and less people than ever will die from it.

I believe that Omicron or the type that follows it will end up being the lasting legacy for Covid and will end up being no more dangerous than the common cold for those who are sensible enough to have an annual jab.

I also predict that politicians and the media will continue to panic and push the negativity on a regular basis as it suits them to do so.

There is NOTHING to see here, absolutely NOTHING!

I hope you are right Mick but consultant here said the opposite - he said it’s rife in the younger ones but once it goes up the ages the mortality rate will increase as the virus is more vicious!

Who knows!! Heard masks are coming in at football games! Masks in outdoor spaces for
    F uck sake!! Not for me if that’s the case!

Topping yourself must be going through the roof after over two years of this utter s hite!

In South Africa they're saying it's a far milder variant.

We are heading towards a January lockdown that we don't need but that power crazed politicians are loving dishing out.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    In South Africa they're saying it's a far milder variant.

We are heading towards a January lockdown that we don't need but that power crazed politicians are loving dishing out.

Holidays? What the f uckin hell are they?

There is good data indicating that the new strain has mutated to be highly transmissible but very much less pathogenic.

Many of the patients in hospital in SA who have covid are in for other reasons and its only because its standard practice to test everyone admitted. The few that are genuine primary covid are largely under 50 totally unvaccinated.

Actually this new variant may be the best outcome of all, even better than the vaccine in some ways as it will produce herd immunity.
    However I don’t mind the government being cautious

As they say even though a very small percentage of the population may get severe symptoms the numbers can still be large spike.
    The doubling every two days could potentially mean that all of us will be exposed in the next 4 weeks, all 70 Million plus illegals !
    No I’m not concerned
    I just take my Vitmain D + K2 to boost my immune system

Recently back from a holiday from Tenerife and my wife and I took the PCR home tests on our return. Both tests came back negative. On my way to the Reading game a text told us to isolate or take a PCR test. Following a test my wife now has the omicron variant, I'm still negative. We're both double, and booster vaccinated. Test and trace are pointing to outbound flight as they want seat numbers, flight number, did you buy anything from the flight in service, which toilet did you shake your lettuce in. You Gov are involved and telling her to do a blood test, as want data for research. We had results back Monday morning just getting emails after emails about this variant doing my head in. The blood test pack is arriving in the post. Albie.

The initial information from South Africa was that whilst this variant was spreading very quickly it was milder than previous ones. Whether this was because most people have now had one or more jabs I don't know. In the light of this all Boris's talk of a "tidal wave" of infections smacks of pure deflection away from all the political woes he and his party have been having. Reports of hundreds in hospital with it were then revised to 10 or so and did the one person who has been reported to have died die from it or with it? I'm all for sensible precautions such as mask wearing in shops or public transport and social distancing but admit to being unconvinced by much of the dire picture being painted.

RSA doctor Angelique Coetzee who discovered Omicron in RSA comments on BoJo’s speech: ”It’s hysteria, the PM should not say such things, an extreme reaction that will make people unnecessarily panic, lockdown and similar measures will cause more harm than good (as we have seen throughout the pandemic, my comment), the reaction from Omicron is mild and a spread of it may therefore be a positive thing etc, etc”.

I saw a report on Monday that it's milder than the first wave and then the next day they said it might mutate with it.
    With viruses the first wave is always the deadliest as people have no immunity. Successive waves become weaker. Swine flu is still about, but not as deadly as it was in 2009.
    If a virus starts to mutate into something more deadly then you have wonder if it has been manufactured and released
    You get so many conflicting reports, and after

Your leader lies twice you wonder if you are following good advice or being paranoid.
    I have never worried about it, I know I am going to die at some stage, just don't know what of.
    I won't lie awake worrying over it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)