+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anne- ITV Hillsborough mini series

Anne- ITV Hillsborough mini series

Anyone watching it. It will be up for an award when the prizes are being dished out.

Stressed me out and brought back horrible memories of how our own day out at Hillsborough could have turned out in 1974.

I was in there too, that Leppings Lane End was a disaster waiting to happen, very frightening.

So was I, very frightening indeed.

I was there too really frightening an elderly friend was crushed against a barrier lucky not to have been seriously hurt.

I know memory plays tricks, maybe it's that. I was there, I wasn't crushed or frightened or anything, it seemed perfectly safe and normal to me, as far as I can recollect. In fact I don't think we'd even sold all our allocation of tickets, our end wasn't even sold out.

I was in the stand, having taken Billy Ingham's parents to the match. We passed comment that we were pleased that we were not in the Leppings Lane end because the crowd did have a noticeable sway and occasional surge in the middle section which, sadly, was the part most affected in the disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I was in the stand, having taken Billy Ingham's parents to the match. We passed comment that we were pleased that we were not in the Leppings Lane end because the crowd did have a noticeable sway and occasional surge in the middle section which, sadly, was the part most affected in the disaster.
    I have to say Sub, that a surge and sway on the terraces back in those days was by no means unusual, even on't Turf. You could often end up 10 terrace rows below where you started, and I have been carried out of Turf moor in a surge when my feet weren't touching the ground. There seemed nothing unusual to me at Hillsborough that day, I'll email a mate of mine who was with me that day, see what he recalls.

I was in the Leppings Lane end with my kid sister sinkov. She was only about 7 stone wet through back then and she's only 5ft 3ins tall. I had her in my arms as we swayed back and forth and side to side. There was a crash barrier right in front of us with half a dozen lads facing back towards us pushing us back.

We were on a Ribblesdale Batty Holt coach going back to Accrington and almost everyone was terrified. I could see how the Liverpool tragedy happened and I have always blamed whichever idiot did not give instructions to open the gates.

It was a totally f*ucking ridiculous way to house human beings watching a football game. This is the sole reason I am dead set against "safe standing", you can never legislate for idiots - whether they be police or fans.

I was with my sister as well BT, she was not a big girl, but as far as I can recall she never expressed any worries on the day and never did at any time afterwards, sadly she's no longer with us so I can't ask her, I have emailed my mate though, I'm interested to see what he recalls.

Maybe I had a higher threshold for what was considered safe, and that's why our Semi-Final never worried me. I was on Turf Moor in February 1960 for the Bradford City game, the official gate was 52,850, but god knows how many were actually on, I was on the Bee Hole End and was unable to move my arms, when the crowd swayed forward you went with them, you had no choice. But I wasn't particularly worried, that was what happened at big games in those days. This was posted on the Longside,

", an astonishing 52,850 was reported as the official number, but who can actually say what the final number was after the gates on Brunshaw Road had been broken down and many uncounted fans poured into the ground. Many fans were locked out, and the road over the Moss at Colne had to be closed to traffic, even John Connelly had to abandon his car and run to Turf Moor to have any chance of getting there on time. Unbelievable scenes, everybody in the area for some reason wanted to watch this one.
    I was dumbstruck never before had I seen so many people at The Turf, I entered the ground at the Bee Hole End with my dad, it took us ages to get to the top of the steps and into the ground, it was quite frightening really, I couldn't see a thing, I couldn't move by myself I was just being carried along with the sheer weight of people against me, but as was normal in those days, the little lads were picked up and passed down over the heads of the crowd, right down to the front and then over the wall and onto the edge of the pitch,"

I went up to watch Scotland v England in 1970 at Hampden, 137,438 were on officially, which was bollox, the Jocks were scaling the walls in their hundreds, for everyone going through a turnstile there were a dozen climbing the walls. That was one game I really was frightened, how no one died that day in the crush I've no idea.

So it may just be me, by the time I got to Hillsborough in 74, I'd seen a lot of big and and dangerous crowds, and I saw nothing at Hillsborough that day that seemed unusual to me.
    Last edited by sinkov; 06-01-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)