+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tony Watt to Dundee United

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    The Daily Record suggests United could offer us a couple of players in addition to cash to get Watt in January. Not convinced that'll work out easily but we'll see.
    I am clearly not tuned into club finances to see how such moves would make sense.
    If given 2 players in place of Watt that’s an increased cost on payroll — an increase over whatever limit the club refuses to pay a single player. And 2 rejects from a quickly failing team for the leagues top scorer is nonsense.
    If otoh the wages for both together would be less than what Watt is making then they’d hardly be worth accepting.

How the club is handling this may appear consistent with not breaking the bank on a single individual but don’t ya think if Watt would end the season as top scorer there’d have been a number of clubs making offers despite agreeing new terms acceptable to player and club?

This is a fiasco in the making and should the team drift into the lower 6 a major financial missed opportunity.
    In that case heads should roll at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by firparkUSA View Post
    I am clearly not tuned into club finances to see how such moves would make sense.
    If given 2 players in place of Watt that’s an increased cost on payroll — an increase over whatever limit the club refuses to pay a single player. And 2 rejects from a quickly failing team for the leagues top scorer is nonsense.
    If otoh the wages for both together would be less than what Watt is making then they’d hardly be worth accepting.

How the club is handling this may appear consistent with not breaking the bank on a single individual but don’t ya think if Watt would end the season as top scorer there’d have been a number of clubs making offers despite agreeing new terms acceptable to player and club?

This is a fiasco in the making and should the team drift into the lower 6 a major financial missed opportunity.
    In that case heads should roll at the top.
    Given this is by miles the best season in his career, he's had a million clubs before and it's far from guaranteed he'll produce elsewhere, I think it's far from certain anyone would pay a large fee for him if he had resigned with us. Even some Utd fans are wary about stomping up 200k just to get him now.

trust me - he'll 'flop' at Utd. It's a 3 hr round trip there n back ... he won't have enough time during the day to play his PS5 and he'll be up all night !!

The Mail reports Shankland is on the verge of being punted from Belgium but could only go to United till summer as he played for them earlier this season...wonder if they'd take him as a temporary solution if they think we want too much for Watt?

Alexander confirms a few agreed and he's away today.

We certainly don’t want a player in the squad who doesn’t want to be at Fir Park. I thank him for his contribution but it is time to find his replacement. Hopefully someone else will appreciate the opportunity to prove their self at our fantastic club.

Overall it was an excellent piece of business. Signed on a free, goals, leave for a fee.

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news...29/index.shtml

Sounds as if Watt was looking at moving on last summer and it didn’t happen, and perhaps KVV was brought in as his replacement at that time. Perhaps Tony’s half season performance over the last six months was motivated by putting himself “in the shop window”, so it will be interesting to see if he maintains this level of performance at Tannadice. We will miss him not just for the goals scored but also for his creativity, hold up play and free kick- winning ability, BUT it gives others the chance to show what they can do and no one is irreplaceable. Overall, his time with us has been mutually beneficial, but I’d hope the fee is at least £150K, preferably £200K or more.

I've no doubt the fee will be 'undisclosed' when things are announced later but given our recent record in negotiations, I see no reason to fear we've not got the best deal we possibly could.

Both clubs have now confirmed the transfer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)