+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player Assists

Player Assists

I am fed up of hearing about player 'assists' in the game.
    I can't ever remember anyone being credited with 'assisting' the likes of Jimmy Greaves et al.
    I have no doubt these will be linked to player bonuses. Greedy t****!!!
    I wonder at wot point games will be halted and VAR brought in to decide these things???? 🤬🤬

Didn’t the ‘assists’ stats get created to go with Fantasy Football?

Wonder how many "assists" Bobby Hope would have been awarded if he was playing today?

They have even got a table for how many fouls you win, Greasey Jack has won it the last few seasons.

Another horrible phrase, ‘winning a penalty’, really stupid. Surely, if a player ‘wins’ a penalty, he has cheated?

There was me thinking that creating a goal was a team job.

Look back at the video of our 5-3 win at Man Utd 43 years ago tomorrow ( 30th Jan 78 ) as it happens.

Who do you give the assist to......so many contributions that made up some exquisite goals.

For my money, the fifth goal is the greatest Albion goal of the last 50 odd years. Paddy Mulligan winning the ball deep by his own corner flag is as much of an “assist” as is Cunningham who carries it 70 yards and the wonderful Ally Brown who plays the final pass.

All the modern terminology is just fluff and b o l l o x.

Ally Brown though, what a hideously underrated player, a massive hero of mine.

https://youtu.be/XTAMsgAdsII

Assists are a joke. Just because a player gives the final pass, he's credited with the assist. He may have had the simplest of jobs and other players done the difficult jobs. I suppose you could say the same about goals but goals win matches, not assists.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)