+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who would you sacrifice...

Who would you sacrifice...

...for the greater good of DCFC?

By the time we play Reading we may have no players - we need cash, the vultures are circling, the administrators are working for the creditors not the club, much as it appears otherwise.

Who would YOU be OK with leaving the club during the transfer window?

Me?

David Marshall. Obviously surplus, be lovely to get his no doubt enormous wages off the books

Kelle Roos. Move him out, bring in a cheap to run veteran as cover

Lee Buchanan. We are doing OK in his position and I don't rate him as highly as some. £2m will cover a few weeks running costs

Sam Baldock. The low-risk low cost gamble didn't pay off, ship him out and take another spin of the dice on a free agent

Tom Lawrence. Too inconsistent, we seem to do as well without him, and there's a double benefit that we might get a few mill for him and AND his absurd wages would be off the books

I reckon that'd do me, and would keep the creditors at bay for a while longer. So,four out, and it'd be nice to get a reserve keeper, forward and two other ringers in at whatever the current pay cap is

Anyone?

Not sure if that’s the accountant or the Rams’ fan speaking...maybe a bit of both.
    Either way it makes a lot of sense to me and we can maybe end what has been an argumentative year in almost total agreement on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure if that’s the accountant or the Rams’ fan speaking...maybe a bit of both.
    Either way it makes a lot of sense to me and we can maybe end what has been an argumentative year in almost total agreement on this one.
    Happy new year rA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Happy new year rA
    You too. Sticking with the sporting aspects...sorting out DCFC and English cricket would certainly help.

Don't disagree with any of that AF. I think Rooney was worried about holding onto Jags, and I'd concur, we need experience to keep grinding these results out.
    I'm not worried about incomings, just need to keep as much of this close knit group together as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

1. David Marshall. Obviously surplus, be lovely to get his no doubt enormous wages off the books

2. Kelle Roos. Move him out, bring in a cheap to run veteran as cover

3. Lee Buchanan. We are doing OK in his position and I don't rate him as highly as some. £2m will cover a few weeks running costs

4. Sam Baldock. The low-risk low cost gamble didn't pay off, ship him out and take another spin of the dice on a free agent

5. Tom Lawrence. Too inconsistent, we seem to do as well without him, and there's a double benefit that we might get a few mill for him and AND his absurd wages would be off the books
    1. David Marshall. The only obstacle would be nobody else wanting him

2. Kelle Roos. The U23 keeper has been considered good enough for the senior bench already. A cheapo oldy in as cover.

3. Lee Buchanan. Out injured. I don't think we'd get an offer although there are rumours from less than reliable "journalistic sources" such as FLW, 92, Athletic et al that the Dogs will be putting a 4th bid in for him.

4. Sam Baldock. I'll get a ferry back to England and drive him to wherever.

5. Tom Lawrence. Agree with what you say but there is a little voice inside my head saying HE would rather see the season out with us to up his signing on fee elsewhere in the summer. Should we manager the Great Escape, he might even want to stay, even on a lower wage.

Any outgoing transfer will be reliant on the player concerned wanting to go in the first place.

I think we may well lose Joz in January. Just when he's put two good games in on the trot, albeit with a Covid related isoltaion in between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Don't disagree with any of that AF. I think Rooney was worried about holding onto Jags, and I'd concur, we need experience to keep grinding these results out.
    I'm not worried about incomings, just need to keep as much of this close knit group together as possible.

strange as it may sound to outsiders, I agree that its more important to retain (especially Jagielka, although Stearman has never let us down) than it is to recruit. Will they run out of steam as the season goes on though? Bird for instance just looked totally drained at the end of the Stoke match

I'd agree with most of that, except Tom Lawrence.

Firstly he is one of our very few creative players and. for what its worth, top scorer. Perhaps a returning fit Bielik could fill some of that gap, but we score few enough goals as it is.

Secondly he is our captain, and one thing we are demonstrating this season is a harmony and a backs to the fall fighting spirit. Some of this may come from the manager, and also from sheer bloody mindedness, but I wouldn't want to rule out the contribution of the captain in keeping the team going in times of extreme adversity. At the start of the season I wasn't convinced he was captain material, but performances and results have suggested there must be something there to motivate a melange of young kids and gnarled veterans to performances beyond most of our expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I'd agree with most of that, except Tom Lawrence.

Firstly he is one of our very few creative players and. for what its worth, top scorer. Perhaps a returning fit Bielik could fill some of that gap, but we score few enough goals as it is.

Secondly he is our captain, and one thing we are demonstrating this season is a harmony and a backs to the fall fighting spirit. Some of this may come from the manager, and also from sheer bloody mindedness, but I wouldn't want to rule out the contribution of the captain in keeping the team going in times of extreme adversity. At the start of the season I wasn't convinced he was captain material, but performances and results have suggested there must be something there to motivate a melange of young kids and gnarled veterans to performances beyond most of our expectations.
    I’m not sure - and I mean exactly that - to what extent Lawrence is ‘captain’, GP.
    I know he is in name but - speaking from the pov of my wholly amateur experience of various team sports - as a youngster the ones I’d be ‘running through walls for’ would be the likes of Jags and Curtis Davies who seem to be natural leaders and set a professional and proven example in every aspect of their attitudes both on and off the pitch.
    That’s not having a go at Lawrence btw...he can be excellent on his day. It’s just I’d expect the younger players to take more of a lead from those who’ve ‘been there...seen it...done it’ and I’d rather ‘sacrifice’ TL than the other two.

Another who hasn’t been mentioned but might be ‘sacrificed’ is Graham Shinnie. I think he’s done well for us, technically Lampard’s best permanent signing and a wholehearted 7/10 since his arrival imo, but I’m told his wife badly misses her homeland north of the border and we all know the ‘happy wife...happy life’ scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Another who hasn’t been mentioned but might be ‘sacrificed’ is Graham Shinnie. I think he’s done well for us, technically Lampard’s best permanent signing and a wholehearted 7/10 since his arrival imo, but I’m told his wife badly misses her homeland north of the border and we all know the ‘happy wife...happy life’ scenario.
    I've been there. They (male and female) all do in my experience, it seems to be a birthright

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)