+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappy new year...

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Completely agree with your summation as without the fans there is no club. It is the easiest thing in the world and pitch insults to those that turn up to loyally support their club through thick and thin as this is the reality of where we are rather than the fantasy some constantly spout rather too often on this site. It's all right to dream as we all do but enough of abusing the supporters who do turn up!
    No supporter should be abused for turning out and supporting their team. In fact they should be applauded for doing so, especially when that team is not doing to well as that is a true supporter of the club.
    The bit I disagree with you spike is the fact we are dreaming. I keep saying this. Arbroath and raith are not any bigger a club than queens. In fact there are maybe only 3 clubs in the league nowadays who I would say are bigger and that’s Patrick, Inverness, and killie. We should be able to compete financially with all the rest, but can’t or won’t for some unknown reason. So I don’t think for one moment it’s a dream to be competing at the top of the league for promotion. It’s something that is achievable. Ask livi or Ross county.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    No supporter should be abused for turning out and supporting their team. In fact they should be applauded for doing so, especially when that team is not doing to well as that is a true supporter of the club.
    The bit I disagree with you spike is the fact we are dreaming. I keep saying this. Arbroath and raith are not any bigger a club than queens. In fact there are maybe only 3 clubs in the league nowadays who I would say are bigger and that’s Patrick, Inverness, and killie. We should be able to compete financially with all the rest, but can’t or won’t for some unknown reason. So I don’t think for one moment it’s a dream to be competing at the top of the league for promotion. It’s something that is achievable. Ask livi or Ross county.
    Without a significant financial investment in the club by some currently unidentified group it is only a dream so let's for the time being concentrate on our current predicament which is to preserve our position in the Championship.

Attendance was 437 and not 197

The bit I disagree with you spike is the fact we are dreaming. I keep saying this. Arbroath and raith are not any bigger a club than queens. In fact there are maybe only 3 clubs in the league nowadays who I would say are bigger and that’s Patrick, Inverness, and killie. We should be able to compete financially with all the rest, but can’t or won’t for some unknown reason. So I don’t think for one moment it’s a dream to be competing at the top of the league for promotion. It’s something that is achievable. Ask livi or Ross county.[/QUOTE]

If we are basing the size of a championship club based on attendances or certainly potential attendances then we would be second bottom. Ayr and Morton are both bigger clubs than us on the fan front.
    Under the 1st Division years or Championship, best we were getting was 1600 home fans iirc.

What gets me is it was said during every AGM we needed a outside income coming in for the club to survive and push forward. Leaving COVID aside, now we have this we've been worse than ever on the footballing front. Regularly used to get top 4's part time in a better league

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Think you missed out Dunfermline Fatfan - a far bigger club than Queens will ever be !

[QUOTE=Ftivano1;39942475]Think you missed out Dunfermline Fatfan - a far bigger club than Queens will ever be ![/QUOTE

And yet traditionally we have competed with Dunfermline regularly in recent years. No matter who is bigger in terms of fans or spending etc, the bottom line is we should never accept where we currently are in the league or be expecting to be eliminated early in cups.
    We are a full time club with a potential to have a far better support than what we currently have.
    The standard of player at Palmerston now is streets behind the team we had even 20 years ago. We are in a league with a lot of poor teams and yet we are now fighting relegation every year, unlike when we were in play offs when the league was full of far better teams, inc rangers, hubs, hearts, Dundee etc. We competed well with these clubs. Could we say that now?
    We have no youth set up to speak of and there is absolutely no scouting system in place. These are things that can not only save money, but one good young player scouted, signed, and sold could make the club thousands.
    Instead the club scrap the lot years ago and now suffers as a result.
    We talk about people volunteering for pr when we should have the right people volunteering to scout and getting young exciting players into the club, whether that be from youths to junior players to lower senior leagues.
    Instead we rely on a manager getting around games on his own and picking up players. How much talent are the club losing out on?
    This is just one simple solution to improving the club but the club, for whatever reason, fail to do this.
    So no, I will never accept where we are at the moment as there is very little getting done to improve the football on show or any ambition to improve things. And if you surveyed supporters going to Palmerston each week I think you would find a large amount unhappy with the way things are done at the club and the lack of ambition being shown.
    If say the club was doing everything in its power to improve the team, image of the club and showed a bit of ambition and we were still fighting relegation, then yes I would accept things, but certainly not at the moment.
    And really, how much would all this cost? Paying someone a tank of fuel to go and watch games of football in an effort to get upcoming players to the club. All it takes is another dykes sale and the club make a fortune. But yet the club scrap that and some say we should accept it!!

[QUOTE=fatfan;39942760]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Think you missed out Dunfermline Fatfan - a far bigger club than Queens will ever be ![/QUOTE

And yet traditionally we have competed with Dunfermline regularly in recent years. No matter who is bigger in terms of fans or spending etc, the bottom line is we should never accept where we currently are in the league or be expecting to be eliminated early in cups.
    We are a full time club with a potential to have a far better support than what we currently have.
    The standard of player at Palmerston now is streets behind the team we had even 20 years ago. We are in a league with a lot of poor teams and yet we are now fighting relegation every year, unlike when we were in play offs when the league was full of far better teams, inc rangers, hubs, hearts, Dundee etc. We competed well with these clubs. Could we say that now?
    We have no youth set up to speak of and there is absolutely no scouting system in place. These are things that can not only save money, but one good young player scouted, signed, and sold could make the club thousands.
    Instead the club scrap the lot years ago and now suffers as a result.
    We talk about people volunteering for pr when we should have the right people volunteering to scout and getting young exciting players into the club, whether that be from youths to junior players to lower senior leagues.
    Instead we rely on a manager getting around games on his own and picking up players. How much talent are the club losing out on?
    This is just one simple solution to improving the club but the club, for whatever reason, fail to do this.
    So no, I will never accept where we are at the moment as there is very little getting done to improve the football on show or any ambition to improve things. And if you surveyed supporters going to Palmerston each week I think you would find a large amount unhappy with the way things are done at the club and the lack of ambition being shown.
    If say the club was doing everything in its power to improve the team, image of the club and showed a bit of ambition and we were still fighting relegation, then yes I would accept things, but certainly not at the moment.
    And really, how much would all this cost? Paying someone a tank of fuel to go and watch games of football in an effort to get upcoming players to the club. All it takes is another dykes sale and the club make a fortune. But yet the club scrap that and some say we should accept it!!
    I have heard that word '' potential '' many times in my life - long support of my ain team but tbh it has never really reached fruition. In fact looking through the Scottish League records it is away back 58 years (1964) when our league attendances averaged 4153 and has never, ever reached anywhere near that again and sadly they continue to decline !

Just a slight change of subject but got a chance to walk around Palmerston on Sunday and certain parts are an absolute disgrace.
    Couldn’t help but notice there’s NO hot water available in the toilets under the BDS STAND. In fact the 5/6 hot taps available didn’t even turn on.
    Probably the least you’d expect during a global pandemic is hot water to wash your hands and even some hand gel FFS.

As someone who goes in that part of the ground regularly Johnny, it's been like that for ages so couldn't agree more with what you're saying. There have been people told as well but makes not a lot of difference.

Agree also with what Fatfan says also. In terms of Scotland the country we live in a decent sized town and the catchment area should be a serious advantage for both fans and potential players being hooked in from a young age. Also I will continue to defend the team week after week as they are trying each week. Maybe they fall short in some areas but that's not their fault. Other areas of the club are indefensible however as has been pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Threefivetwo View Post
    As someone who goes in that part of the ground regularly Johnny, it's been like that for ages so couldn't agree more with what you're saying. There have been people told as well but makes not a lot of difference.

Agree also with what Fatfan says also. In terms of Scotland the country we live in a decent sized town and the catchment area should be a serious advantage for both fans and potential players being hooked in from a young age. Also I will continue to defend the team week after week as they are trying each week. Maybe they fall short in some areas but that's not their fault. Other areas of the club are indefensible however as has been pointed out.
    It’s embarrassing how neglected certain areas of the stadium have become. I actually wonder if the BOD ever take a wee walk round it and see for themselves the mess it’s in.
    It’s easy to blame the groundsman but I’ve heard before he’s not getting to money and support from Billy & Co the sort it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)