+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Westminster government

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    If you are serious about political change then the place to start is the May local elections. Every business has to realise that the corruption of democracy at Holyrood means that they can no longer stand on the side. The only thing politicians understand is losing their seats.
    Fair point.

If you are serious about political change then the place to start is the May local elections. Every business has to realise that the corruption of democracy at Holyrood means that they can no longer stand on the side. The only thing politicians understand is losing their seats.
    By the time May comes along more jobs will be gone and more businesses will be lost or struggling, more people will be unemployed and more young working age people will be living in poverty.

The OAPs won't care and will vote as they always have as they sit raking in the type of pension the youngsters will never have because they can't find steady enough employment to contribute to a decent pension.

Youngsters won't be able to afford season tickets whilst the OAPs get cheap ones. The whole thing's wrong.

If you are serious about political change then the place to start is the May local elections. Every business has to realise that the corruption of democracy at Holyrood means that they can no longer stand on the side. The only t

hing politicians understand is losing their seats.
    Slightly disagree, they only understand the potential to lose their seat.....once it actually happens they just move to another cushy number.

The list system in Scotland removes a lot of this fear though.

Question bcram......why do you think unemployment has not shot up?.....everything else I think I've called fairly accurately but unemployment hasn't gone up nearly as much as I thought.

I wonder if they have changed the way they count the unemployed again and it's just not been noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    By the time May comes along more jobs will be gone and more businesses will be lost or struggling, more people will be unemployed and more young working age people will be living in poverty.

The OAPs won't care and will vote as they always have as they sit raking in the type of pension the youngsters will never have because they can't find steady enough employment to contribute to a decent pension.

Youngsters won't be able to afford season tickets whilst the OAPs get cheap ones. The whole thing's wrong.
    I predict a "tsunami" of tax hikes on top of the ones we have already had.

This will still be being paid for long after anybody over 40 has shuffled off this planet.

Deeranged, if we all behaved the way you describe, it seems that nobody has any morality. I find this view extremely depressing and hope that perhaps you are just trying to be controversial rather than a true reflection of what you think about our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Slightly disagree, they only understand the potential to lose their seat.....once it actually happens they just move to another cushy number.

The list system in Scotland removes a lot of this fear though.

Question bcram......why do you think unemployment has not shot up?.....everything else I think I've called fairly accurately but unemployment hasn't gone up nearly as much as I thought.

I wonder if they have changed the way they count the unemployed again and it's just not been noticed.
    Agree the potential to lose councillors will only work if we replace them with proper independent councillors who will absolutely scream blue murder at Holyrood for their unreasonable budgets and targets imposed on local government.
    As for unemployment there will be a political fix anput the way the numbers are calculated. 8n Scotland there are so few private sector wealth creating jobs that I think the public sector is mopping up skilled people and the gig economy is keeping people from claiming benefits. Not sure how income tax or vat receipts are going but there will be lots of people working for cash in hand and whilst it isn't the principled way to behave I cannot condemn it in these difficult times.

Deeranged, if we all behaved the way you describe, it seems that nobody has any morality. I find this view extremely depressing and hope that perhaps you are just trying to be controversial rather than a true reflection of what you think about our society.
    Exactly how I feel society is going. More and more opportunity is being removed from the younger working population whilst the older, retired population on pensions (admittedly they've earned those pensions but not the price reductions and freebies that go with age) sit raking in more than they're due and not caring because they feel they've 'done their bit for society'. They absolutely haven't done their bit, they're the ones with the experience and knowledge that should be guiding younger people toward a better future.

Right now I feel my pension, if I ever get there, isn't going to benefit me but will have to be managed to provide for my kids and possibly even Grandkids once I go because there's nothing for them as it stands other than a future under the heel of politicians who 'know best'.

Agree the potential to lose councillors will only work if we replace them with proper independent councillors who will absolutely scream blue murder at Holyrood for their unreasonable budgets and targets imposed on local government.
    As for unemployment there will be a political fix anput the way the numbers are calculated. 8n Scotland there are so few private sector wealth creating jobs that I think the public sector is mopping up skilled people and the gig economy is keeping people from claiming benefits. Not sure how income tax or vat receipts are going but there will be lots of people working for cash in hand and whilst it isn't the principled way to behave I cannot condemn it in these difficult times.
    Inflation may well edge double figures (the true inflation that Islay bangs on about), mortgage rates are bound to head north very soon.

One of the things I expect to happen very shortly with not very much grace period is raising of state pension age to 70.....I reckon anyone under 60 now will have to wait to 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Inflation may well edge double figures (the true inflation that Islay bangs on about), mortgage rates are bound to head north very soon.

One of the things I expect to happen very shortly with not very much grace period is raising of state pension age to 70.....I reckon anyone under 60 now will have to wait to 70.
    The state pension age being raised again is almost a guarantee. People in my age bracket are likely to never see it the way it's going.

Disclaimer - I'm lucky enough that I'll have other pensions (first one comes into play next year) and should be able to work well past current retirement age assuming my health holds up. Just as well because I'll never afford full retirement.

Exactly how I feel society is going. More and more opportunity is being removed from the younger working population whilst the older, retired population on pensions (admittedly they've earned those pensions but not the price reductions and freebies that go with age) sit raking in more than they're due and not caring because they feel they've 'done their bit for society'. They absolutely haven't done their bit, they're the ones with the experience and knowledge that should be guiding younger people toward a better future.

Right now I feel my pension, if I ever get there, isn't going to benefit me but will have to be managed to provide for my kids and possibly even Grandkids once I go because there's nothing for them as it stands other than a future under the heel of politicians who 'know best'.
    Good post.

A huge proportion of youngsters are helped by their parents and grand parents

But as for leaving anything cue wealth taxes and inheritance tax changes in near future.

Wealth tax will include property and pension imho.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)