+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The House Sir Jack Built

The House Sir Jack Built

https://fb.watch/akIn-od9xW/

Just a day after we beat the World's most expected Club side, Manchester United, and in a time when money dictates the outcome more often than not I came across this video.

A memory dedicated to a fan. A fan of some wealth of course, but not the wealth of an oligarch by any means. At the time of Sir Jack's intervention Wolves were just finding their way back from the abyss.

Having missed out of the formation of the Premier League, Wolves had fallen to the near bottom of England's lowest league and forced their way back up to Division One. Molineux was dilapidated, falling apart. Half the ground had been closed, condemned actually. It was a million miles away from when Wolves had dominated, not only English Football but World Football in the 1950's. Then, Wolves were leading the field in the future of the game, with plans for a 75,000 stadium. Yesterday, we played in a 75,000 stadium but it wasn't at Molineux. We were ahead of our time in the sport in those days but the sport wasn't ahead in any terms as it is today. In fact, in the years between 1960 and the early 1970's football was still really a past time for most, 1966 apart. From the 1970's to 1992 it was a Pariah. Infiltrated by hooliganism, partly I suppose because of the times, and hated by the authorities, especially the Government. By the time the FA decided to take it upon themselves to regenerate the game with the formation of the Premier League we were well out of contention.

It's taken nearly 30 years, since Sir Jack took over the club and rebuilt the Stadium, nowhere near the 75000 mind you, to get back to really being amongst the elite. The tragedy is that Sir Jack wanted to buy Wolves in 1982. The bigger tragedy is the Bhattis got it. If only!

For me, Football is a sport I love, and Wolverhampton Wanderers is the club I love. It isn't really about the money. It isn't about just supporting a club for glory. It's about supporting the club you love for the club. It's about the joy when you are successful and the searing pain when you fail. You can't buy that. You can't bottle it. It is what it is.....but you really have to be a fan to feel it.

I'm enjoying the ride again at the moment, but I know it can quickly turn to pain again at any moment. For nearly 50 years I've waited for a generation below mine to feel that elation I felt when I first started watching when Wolves last had a successful side nearly 50 years ago.

I don't suppose it really matters what happens next so long as I have a team to support. That's what's really important. The club doesn't just exist for the supporters, it exists for the town or City it represents. Wolverhampton Wanderers does exactly that. We've had the highs, dropped to the depths and had the resurgence. Sir Jack started this latest, and hopefully Fosun will continue that.
    Last edited by theplater; 05-01-2022 at 02:00 AM.

Beautifully written, Plates. I have shared the love of which you speak since 1949, but not, perhaps, with the same level of intensity as you're good self. Sadly, for me, most of the intervening years have been spent living on the other side of the world where, for much of the time news and views of my beloved Wolves were almost non-existent. Thankfully, due to cable television and media technology etc., times have changed and I'm now able to watch 'live' most of the matches played by Wolves and experience the joy of seeing them perform as they did two days ago. Sir Jack, I'm sure, would have been so proud !

Thank you Plater and Grizz for a good read.

A very appropriate piece Platter. Can I ask , "Was it a late night or an early morning."

🤣 A late night George

I can't remember when I first saw this but I do remember that it moved me at the time.

Nice post Plates, but that's what we have come to expect from you anyway.

Why is Abbo calling you a display of food???

It's called old age woody, nothing wrong with your eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    It's called old age woody, nothing wrong with your eyesight.
    I'm very familiar with the ailment don't worry.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)