+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cal roberts on his way to chesterfield?

Quote Originally Posted by chedozie View Post
    Love this kind of stuff, Cal’s mam discussing her lads future on FB…. Proper non-league.
    I'm not convinced she really posted this as I can't find it, to be fair.

It’s a bit of a weird move from Chesterfield, though. You’d say that the biggest reason Cal might move on is him not really fitting into our 3-5-2/3-6-1 system.. and that’s exactly what they play. I could totally get him thinking ‘I need to play out wide for the good my career’ tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    It’s a bit of a weird move from Chesterfield, though. You’d say that the biggest reason Cal might move on is him not really fitting into our 3-5-2/3-6-1 system.. and that’s exactly what they play. I could totally get him thinking ‘I need to play out wide for the good my career’ tbh.
    I agree with this, although I can’t see him wanting this move.
    In the system we play, I don’t think we’ll see the same player that joined us. He’s at his best out wide, cutting inside. I think it was the Aldershot game earlier in the season. We switched to wingers at half time and Cal ripped them apart after an anonymous first half.
    He’s not been bad in the middle, I just don’t think it suits his strengths.
    I could be completely wrong but I’ve had the sense of him being frustrated at times this season, and picking up petulant yellow cards.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'm not convinced she really posted this as I can't find it, to be fair.
    Not sure if it’s been deleted already but I saw it last night on there too. She said if he left it wouldn’t be down to Cal….someone asked if the club are trying to offload him and she didn’t reply 🤷

Sorry, but you have all been suckered by a poster with 2 posts to his/her name, with no content just a headline.
    It's a classic "Gotcha" and you/we have fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Not sure if it’s been deleted already but I saw it last night on there too. She said if he left it wouldn’t be down to Cal….someone asked if the club are trying to offload him and she didn’t reply ��
    IF she did post this then to me that means he's almost certainly off, if she could have posted that he did not want to leave and wasn't going to leave in this window then she could have said this and "I have never asked to leave" is one of the standard lines you tend to get when someone knows they are highly likely to go but want to deflect the question with an answer which is technically true.

"Not asking to leave" usually seems to mean "I haven't handed in a transfer request". It's usually followed by something like "I'm very happy here and just want to concentrate on my football" which again is more telling in what it doesn't say - ie "while I'm not unhappy here I would still be very happy to move to a club in a higher league for more money". The fact that the question is even being answered shows the stage things have probably reached.

From Cal's point of view a move now would make a lot of sense to me. He's just had a really nasty setback after getting his career back firmly on track and has effectively lost a year, in which time he's gone from being the star of the show to a still very highly rated player who has been proved by results not to be as ***** as he was. At getting on for 25 in the National League he has to make a step up sooner rather than later if he's going to make a go of it in the league and the last year will have showed him how uncertain things can be. If he were to see out his contract with us he may be even less important to us by then and will definitely no longer be in the "promising youngster" category.

Of the three likely candidates Cal is the one I would be happiest to lose if it came to it. If he does go then this really is proof of concept for the owners, by buying a young player and selling him for a decent profit a couple of years later they will have done exactly what they said they wanted to do. If you're in the fortunate position we find ourselves in with several players catching the eye of higher clubs for the first time in god knows how long it would be a huge ask to be able to make sure you never lose anyone mid season. That said a move to Chesterfield would be disastrous PR and I'm very confident the brothers would not allow a message like that to be sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_Bresslaw View Post
    IF she did post this then to me that means he's almost certainly off, if she could have posted that he did not want to leave and wasn't going to leave in this window then she could have said this and "I have never asked to leave" is one of the standard lines you tend to get when someone knows they are highly likely to go but want to deflect the question with an answer which is technically true.

"Not asking to leave" usually seems to mean "I haven't handed in a transfer request". It's usually followed by something like "I'm very happy here and just want to concentrate on my football" which again is more telling in what it doesn't say - ie "while I'm not unhappy here I would still be very happy to move to a club in a higher league for more money". The fact that the question is even being answered shows the stage things have probably reached.

From Cal's point of view a move now would make a lot of sense to me. He's just had a really nasty setback after getting his career back firmly on track and has effectively lost a year, in which time he's gone from being the star of the show to a still very highly rated player who has been proved by results not to be as ***** as he was. At getting on for 25 in the National League he has to make a step up sooner rather than later if he's going to make a go of it in the league and the last year will have showed him how uncertain things can be. If he were to see out his contract with us he may be even less important to us by then and will definitely no longer be in the "promising youngster" category.

Of the three likely candidates Cal is the one I would be happiest to lose if it came to it. If he does go then this really is proof of concept for the owners, by buying a young player and selling him for a decent profit a couple of years later they will have done exactly what they said they wanted to do. If you're in the fortunate position we find ourselves in with several players catching the eye of higher clubs for the first time in god knows how long it would be a huge ask to be able to make sure you never lose anyone mid season. That said a move to Chesterfield would be disastrous PR and I'm very confident the brothers would not allow a message like that to be sent.
    Think his mum has posted on social media before. Better players have left Notts in my time, when we didn't want to see them go. Thats football.
    To quote soccerman " We are, we move on" if it happens of course.
    My biggest gripe with Notts' over the years is letting players go for peanuts compared to other clubs of our size.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Think his mum has posted on social media before. Better players have left Notts in my time, when we didn't want to see them go. Thats football.
    To quote soccerman " We are, we move on" if it happens of course.
    My biggest gripe with Notts' over the years is letting players go for peanuts compared to other clubs of our size.
    I'd more concerned if one of Wooton, RR, Palmer or Cameron were to leave.

Cal is a fine player but let's be honest this formation doesn't get the best out of him and you could argue Vincent is also better than him in centre mid.

I remember his Mum was on social media defending Cal from some of our muppets criticising his performances, shortly after returning from injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    I'd more concerned if one of Wooton, RR, Palmer or Cameron were to leave.

Cal is a fine player but let's be honest this formation doesn't get the best out of him and you could argue Vincent is also better than him in centre mid.
    Agreed, I think Cal is a cut above this league but isn't a stand out in our system. That's no disrespect to him and I would still rather have him that not.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast