+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cal roberts on his way to chesterfield?

Cal roberts on his way to chesterfield?

Last edited by SwalePie; 06-01-2022 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Question mark added to title for clarity

Is this based on inside info or just the local media?

"Several sources have told Notts Live that it has been made clear that he is not for sale for any price to any club in the National League."

(See Kyle Wootton thread)
    Last edited by SwalePie; 05-01-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Notts County are understood to have rejected a bid from Chesterfield for winger Callum Roberts.

Nottinghamshire Live has been told the bid fell way short of the club's valuation of the winger who is regarded as one of the best in non-league.

Several sources have told Notts Live that it has been made clear that he is not for sale for any price to any club in the National League.

Head coach Ian Burchnall was asked today about Roberts' future and stressed the winger remains an integral part of the club's ambitions.

It comes amid mounting speculation that Spireites striker and top scorer Kabongo Tshimanga is wanted by Championship clubs after a stellar start to the campaign.

It is understood Chesterfield are looking at targets should he depart during the transfer window with EFL clubs free to do business again until the end of January.

Discussing Roberts today, Burchnall said: "He's played really well this season in the moments he has had.

"He missed last week's game because he was out all week ill. But he can play a variety of positions in the system we play. He can play as a 10, an eight and he can play wide.

"He's provided goals and assists already this season. A fully fit and firing Cal Roberts is really important to us.

"But again he is a player that will no doubt have interest in him because he's a talented player."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...ansfer-6447480
    Last edited by Oldstripy; 05-01-2022 at 08:04 PM.

No doubt they'll be affter Wooters next.

I can't see why a sideways (or even backwards) move to Chesterfield would appeal to Cal, even if they were able to meet what would have to be a substantial asking price and increase his wages. Geographically a move to Hartlepool might look more tempting to a lad with North-East roots, but again finance would be an issue.

Cal's ability is worthy of bids from League One clubs at least, and decent-sized ones at that, otherwise he would be selling himself short. I'd be surprised if his head was turned by anything below that.

This would have been unthinkable at the start of the season, but if a 'Notts best 6 players so far' poll was conducted right now, I think Cal Roberts would struggle to make the list.

I hope he stays because the ability is definitely there, but for whatever reason it hasn't shone through so far.

An attempt to disrupt Cal and Notts? They can’t think that we would sell one of our better players to them, so I can only think of this as they are worried by our momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This would have been unthinkable at the start of the season, but if a 'Notts best 6 players so far' poll was conducted right now, I think Cal Roberts would struggle to make the list.

I hope he stays because the ability is definitely there, but for whatever reason it hasn't shone through so far.
    Has he been on top form since his covid/weird injury? Seems to have been patchy as best I can gather.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Has he been on top form since his covid/weird injury? Seems to have been patchy as best I can gather.
    He hasn't stood out as much as he did when he first arrived, but that's partly because he had to recover fitness and other players have begun to shine in their own right. Cal's quality is definitely there, as illustrated by the cross he put in to Kyle Wootton for the winning goal against Dagenham. Personally I think he's best when he plays wide rather than more centrally, but it's good that he can be versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

Fairly obvious reason really - when he got injured he was an out-and-out winger and the talisman for a team playing 4-4-2. He’s come back and had to play in central midfield for a team that doesn’t use wingers and where two teammates have realistically overtaken him in the ‘star man’ stakes during his year out.

Which isn’t to say he’s been bad at all, probably 7/10 and a decent performer all season. Just feels worse because he was so good before.

Anyway, on selling him, there’s two conversations to have really. Selling him at all in January feels entirely plausible for a variety of reasons. Selling him to Chesterfield (or Wrexham/Stockport etc) is a whole different matter.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast