+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No heart

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    He could stop playing his aging mediocrities and give some of the others a chance, not that he's got much to chose from.
    Go on then Chris, who are they, the players he's not picking, who will get us out of the bottom three and into mid table security ?

I doubt anyone will save us sinkov but at least let players play who try, like Vydra and even Jay who's a Burnley lad. I'm not sure of the injuries or Covid status but what about Roberts or any of the bench warmers, just someone who is willing to give 100%.Obviously Cornet is out of it for awhile but he was like a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of our regulars who seem to get picked regardless of merit. He (Sean) also needs to realise that when you bring on a forward as a sub you don't have to take a forward off.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I doubt anyone will save us sinkov but at least let players play who try, like Vydra and even Jay who's a Burnley lad. I'm not sure of the injuries or Covid status but what about Roberts or any of the bench warmers, just someone who is willing to give 100%.Obviously Cornet is out of it for awhile but he was like a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of our regulars who seem to get picked regardless of merit. He (Sean) also needs to realise that when you bring on a forward as a sub you don't have to take a forward off.
    SD's use of substitutes (or not) has been the subject of much debate on here over the years kritichris, and we still have not found an answer.

One team yesterday went 4-1-2-1-2, SD cannot deviate from 4-4-2, nor he ever will.

I'm gobsmacked he is not playing Collins, I really am.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    SD's use of substitutes (or not) has been the subject of much debate on here over the years kritichris, and we still have not found an answer.

One team yesterday went 4-1-2-1-2, SD cannot deviate from 4-4-2, nor he ever will.

I'm gobsmacked he is not playing Collins, I really am.
    The conundrum will never be solved until SD manages a club with talent and money. Then we shall see if he has the ability.

He has often defended his system by saying that he has to use a system that suits the players at his disposal. Bearing in mind the results for the past couple of years, it is hard to see how the system suits them!

He has been starved of funds to bring in players, but the players who come in either hardly deviate from the system or, even if they do, do not get a game - with the obvious exception of Cornet. He will not be staying for long.

So what is the reality based upon what we have seen?

SD’s approach did bring some success. 7th in the PL is no mean feat. However, there has been no progress since that great season, only year on year struggles. Lack of funds SD may say. With some justification as he cannot control that.

However, looking at what he can control - the system and the players - criticism is justified and his shortcomings have been exposed on these boards many, many times. His track record in certain areas speaks for itself - Pope was only given a chance when Heaton was injured, Tarks only when Keane was sold, Taylor when Ward left, Brownhill when either Cork or Westwood was injured and so on.

Collins sits on the bench. Vydra likewise whilst we ship goals like anything and we can’t score. McNeil played as a No10, which he is not (he only uses his right leg to stop him falling over) when he attracted plaudits for his left wing skills and whipping in crosses. Who is Kevin Long? Does he exist?

All actions of a desperate man seeking a solution in all the wrong places, who does not know the answer.

The reality of SD is that he has shortcomings and blind spots that will now be the downfall of BFC.

[QUOTE=Swissclaret;39946822]The conundrum will never be solved until SD manages a club with talent and money. Then we shall see if he has the ability.

I honestly think SD would be a great coach given the proper finance and recruitment.It would be interesting to see what he could do in Eddie Howe`s shoes at the moment.We saw that he can play expansive entertaining football and keep a solid defence in our Championship winning season.He just needs the right personnel which would require signing five or six more players of Cornet`s calibre.
    However it would appear with our current owners we will never find out.That would require a further £60-100m and we all know where a similar amount in the dry powder room ended up.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 09-01-2022 at 12:16 PM.

[QUOTE=ClaretinBudapest;39946833]
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    The conundrum will never be solved until SD manages a club with talent and money. Then we shall see if he has the ability.

I honestly think SD would be a great coach given the proper finance and recruitment.It would be interesting to see what he could do in Eddie Howe`s shoes at the moment.We saw that he can play expansive entertaining football and keep a solid defence in our Championship winning season.He just needs the right personnel which would require signing five or six more players of Cornet`s calibre.
    However it would appear with our current owners we will never find out.That would require a further £60-100m and we all know where a similar amount in the dry powder room ended up.
    I do not disagree CIB. Hence to me it is a conundrum.

As you rightly point out, the Championship winning season was based on good football, using players three or four years younger than they are now.

We shall see and I do wish SD well. All supporters of BFC have a lot to thank him for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)