+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Mr Notts County Passes Away

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I was under the impression he was a lifelong bachelor and always lived alone., which is why I brought up the notebooks. I hope whoever he's left his belongings to appreciates the historical value those books will have and they fall into safe hands.
    Sorry l forget to add, yes l heard Colin during an interview on Radio Nottingham where he said he had nieces and nephews.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    An excellent and fitting piece. Always enjoyed reading anything Notts based in the Left Lion when enjoying my Friday pub lunch ritual when working in the city centre.

Being of similar age no doubt we share many a same fond memory of Mr Slater (RIP) on Radio Nottingham especially in those glory days of the very late 80s/early 90s.

I still remember well spending many a midweek evening glued to the radio hearing his words as Notts played at difficult places to go such as Boundary Park, Selhurst Park and Bramall Lane.

At that age and unable to go to evening away games unless local due to school the next day they always sounded exciting almost mysterious places. I've been to all 3 since and although good atmospheres at all of them when I went, none could be classed as exotic.
    Cheers Laddo! Only just seen your comment, but glad you enjoy our mag as part of your Friday pub lunch.

There's a longer version of the tribute to Colin I posted here going in our next (February) issue. Hopefully you'll get a chance to read that over a fish and chip dinner too.

Very much so, in a way it reminded me of my days buying 'No More Pie In The Sky' from Selectadisc back in the day and some of the content in fanzines.

Unfortunately won't be able to catch the longer version as my Fish and Chip dinners are noticeably more expensive where I'm living nowadays but thanks for posting on here.

Glad to hear Left Lion is still going strong.

An early start of 6pm on Radio Notts tonight for more tributes.

Are the club canvassing the opinions of supporters as to how to honour him permanently? I'd be interested to know if people do want the Kop named after him or do they think that would be going too far for somebody who neither played, managed or owned the club?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-01-2022 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added 'p' to 6pm

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    An early start of 6pm on Radio Notts tonight for more tributes.

Are the club canvassing the opinions of supporters as to how to honour him permanently? I'd be interested to know if people do want the Kop named after him or do they think that would be going too far for somebody who neither played, managed or owned the club?
    Will that still be on the radio tonight with the game off?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Will that still be on the radio tonight with the game off?
    It's a football preview slot normally, so they may well still go ahead with it.

Ex-presenter Robin Chipperfield has noted - regards the club's own tribute now being changed to the Grimsby match - "This feels more apt… could Still’s Fish and Chip restaurant (of Grimsby) sponsor the game? It’s the least they could do, given how much he must have spent there….!!"

I received my Barnet programme yesterday.

Well worth it - really good tributes to Colin. He was what can only be called a gentleman, and in the days of so many commentators on TV and radio, a giant among them.

Morning all. If you are thinking of going to see Uncle Colin off then need to be at the lane for 11.15. Taking an early lunch to walk down there to say my goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I received my Barnet programme yesterday.

Well worth it - really good tributes to Colin. He was what can only be called a gentleman, and in the days of so many commentators on TV and radio, a giant among them.
    A digital version is available to all to view only on-line:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...sword=6RqSHubx

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast