+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ot vegan

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Yeah, organic is a massive waste of money bought into by (often leftwing) bandwagon jumpers with a massive but not properly thought out bias towards "natural", I do actually agree. It's a debate I have with some of my leftie friends a lot.

It's the same stuff with the same nutritional content. People blindly fear "E numbers" and "preservatives" when in reality the majority are completely harmless and offer many advantages. I never buy organic fruit or veg unless the other stuff has sold out.
    For some reason here in France they wrap all organic veg in plastic and leave the non organic stuff open 😂

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    For some reason here in France they wrap all organic veg in plastic and leave the non organic stuff open 😂
    Another marketing thing that amuses me and that’s Jersey Royal potatoes, “ authentic” Jersey Royals, “ available now”

There everywhere, every supermarket, tonnes of the little blighters.

Grown on an island of about 46 square miles, much of which is taken up by non-agricultural activities.

For a seasonal crop they do very well keeping up with demand, or perhaps, just perhaps they aren’t actually grown in Jersey as claimed

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Another marketing thing that amuses me and that’s Jersey Royal potatoes, “ authentic” Jersey Royals, “ available now”

Grown on an island of about 46 square miles, much of which is taken up by non-agricultural activities.

For a seasonal crop they do very well keeping up with demand, or perhaps, just perhaps they aren’t actually grown in Jersey as claimed
    It’s the great conspiracy of our age

Protected Designation of Origin under EU Common Agriculture Policy. Does that still apply? If not you could be getting any old spud!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Royal

30,000 tonnes in 2011 suggests there must be some land set aside for growing them (about 2-3 square mile if they achieve the same average as Idaho at 20 tonnes/acre)
    Last edited by CAMiller; 13-01-2022 at 05:25 PM.

The Richmond meat free sausages are excellent.....I couldn’t tell the difference ......try them

Quote Originally Posted by villamiller View Post
    The Richmond meat free sausages are excellent.....I couldn’t tell the difference ......try them
    Agree - I get those.

Reminds me of the organic trend, supermarkets fell over themselves to sell organic stuff, now whilst still available it isn’t as widespread as before.

Sheep are vegan, whilst alive anyway
    Never one to miss a 'sheeple' oppotunity!

I think there is a very big difference though in that many younger people are quite demanding in knowing where their food comes from and to be honest the meat and dairy production industry doesn't really stand up well to much ethical scrutiny. Also, loads are changing to veggie/vegan diets for health reasons, although completely agree that a lean meat moderate diet with other balanced nutrients is just as nutricious. Each to their won really but great that so many are now doing away with mean (in my opinion) and certainly most won't be going back, simply as they weren't weaned on it as much as we were in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Never one to miss a 'sheeple' oppotunity!

I think there is a very big difference though in that many younger people are quite demanding in knowing where their food comes from and to be honest the meat and dairy production industry doesn't really stand up well to much ethical scrutiny. Also, loads are changing to veggie/vegan diets for health reasons, although completely agree that a lean meat moderate diet with other balanced nutrients is just as nutricious. Each to their won really but great that so many are now doing away with mean (in my opinion) and certainly most won't be going back, simply as they weren't weaned on it as much as we were in the first place.
    The quality of meat now is low but the quantity is far too high. Super markets are the biggest ones for forcing this upon folk.

You can spend as much or a bit more at a butcher and get the quantity and quantity you want that won't shrink to nowt as the water evaporates.

Agree - I get those.
    Also though ........the wagyu burgers from the ALDI are fantastic 😲😲😲

Agree - I get those.
    Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein Concentrate (16%) (Water, Soya Protein, Wheat Protein, Salt, Soya Bean Oil, Natural Flavouring), Rusk (Wheat), Coconut Oil, Soya Protein Concentrate (4%), Chicory Root Fibre, Less than 2%: Stabiliser: Methylcellulose, Natural Flavourings, Yeast Extracts, Herbs, Spices, Spice Extracts, Flavourings, Colours: Beetroot, Safflower, Salt

The salt content is 1.5% which they don’t need to quantify on the packaging

Yum yum

Vegan maybe but healthy they aren’t

Plus there’s the environmental impact of growing all that soya

Still the Guardian Reading Lib Dem’s like them

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast