+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The James Webb Telescope, What If.......

The James Webb Telescope, What If.......

It discovers obvious evidence of life going on on some far distant planet?

If it does, and there’s an obvious possibility that it could, then what do we as a species do?

Personally, I think we need to be very, very careful!

I’m all for knowing that there is something else out there and I think it’s impossible that there isn’t life on other planets, the numbers of Sun’s and planets makes it highly likely that Earth’s conditions are replicated elsewhere.

But......I’m happy just to know, I don’t think we should be waving and saying “Yoo Hoo” to Aliens.

I’d rather we just stayed in our own little corner of the Universe and kept our heads down.

I must admit, I am greatly looking forward to seeing the photographs that start coming back from this magnificent piece of human ingenuity.

Very different from Hubble....mostly operates in the invisible wave lengths.......x-ray, infrared that sort of range. Hubble was primarily for optical light spectrum.
    It also has the instruments to detect molecular structure in atmospheres that can surround some planets. These molecules can release gases that can be a signature to a more complex atmosphere then just seeing it in visible light.

Much to late to be thinking about staying quite and still....our signature from our planet would be of a very fast moving atmosphere that if viewed from another planet, may very well conclude that something else is driving the change. They may be like humans in some respects...that is....they too are a curios race....

We have nothing to fear outside...all the fear is inside.......inside each of us......but as I have said before, we are in a fast phase of evolution and it is all about been ready for the next stage...JWT has been a long time in the making...remember ist initial concept...and wondering if I would be alive to actually see it launched......so far ...I am.....

If there is life out there you can bet they already know Villa won the European Cup in 1982, every other fkr certainly does 😊 .

The state of some people lately I'm assuming aliens are already amongst us

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    There's no guarantee aliens will prove intelligent by our metrics. Those wimmin who shop in pyjamas while wearing Ugg boots could actually be part of the alien vanguard. They're definitely from another planet anyway 😊 .

There could be life on other planets that we can't understand or is completely different. Life has developed on earth due to the conditions that exist here. Why, therefore, can't life develop on other planets conducive to the make up of that planet. This appears to make sense to me.

I remember in the seventies a scientist warned about trying to make contact with alien life. He said that they would probably be so much farther advanced than us we would appear insignificant, like Ants are to us.
    If aliens exist they probably already know of our insignificance, indeed they may have given us a helping hand.
    It's strange all the old and ancient religions all believed their gods lived in the sky. They called them father or the all father. Ancient people wouldn't be able to comprehend what they were seeing, but the clues are there. Apollo in his chariot of fire, Jesus, born by the direction of a new star, and going up on a cloud. A lot of the things built in ancient times all point to the sky, or they can only be seen to full effect from the air.
    We could have come this way before, the Eskimo's believe that their ancestors were carried there by a huge bird with iron wings.
    If god exists he could be an alien, but I believe he is the Sun.
    Very thought provoking. It's good to ask questions like this rather than repeat parrot fashion things that you have been taught.

If God's an alien I hope his papers are in order....... Al's going to have his guts for garters otherwise.

The Universe is bound up in laws already. Dependent on how evolved the primary life species is on any planet, will determine how theses laws are bothe understood and used.

So you can have a planet with lots of algy bloom that give of life signs and get detected. The more advanced a primary species is at understanding it's responsibility as primary life force on a planet will also help them in understanding the lower life forms. There will be basic commonality between living species...even if one is silicone based and one is carbon based.... Life is life and intelligent life will have in built recognition of other life.... Exciting times to come for a few....but not everybody....such is life...

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Probably the ones deciding on Covid restrictions etc…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)