+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Moving house late in life.

Moving house late in life.

I'm always looking at property and would like to move.
    My wife doesn't, we have great neighbours and our house was paid for years ago , a bungalow would suit me but wife doesn't want to to sleep down stairs.
    Any of you moved late in life any regrets ?

My last move was at 56 and no more difficult than doing it at 30 other than the legal paperwork is now torturous.

I’ve seen your situation a lot over recent years Lloyd.

Family and friends staying out in a long term house due to “good neighbours”, family memories or it feeling like too much effort.

This has rarely ended well, especially when at least one of the couple has movement issues like yourself Lloyd.

My mother in father in law had the chance to buy a lovely little bungalow 100 yards from our house in their early/mid 70’s.

They rejected it due to the garden being “too small” which was a ludicrous reason.

Three years later mum in law had Parkinson’s and father in law had the start of his dementia.

They then ended up struggling with their existing house for a decade in which ma in law had two very serious falls down the stairs that ruined her life.

Your wife is giving an equally ludicrous reason for not moving.

There’s plenty of dorma bungalows around with an upstairs bedroom and one or two downstairs an even if you can’t find one in the area you want, but a bungalow and put a loft conversion in and add value.

At 60 I’m still fit and well, my wife is 65 but I’ve already started looking out for a dorma bungalow in our area or an opportunity to build one.

Sadly Lloyd, you in a high risk category to become a real burden on your wife and family as you get into your 70’s.

Seriously mate, your wife needs to give her head a wobble.

You need to force this decision through by finding her a nice, shiny and modern dorma bungalow.

Depending on funds there’s some absolute beauties being built in Wombourne.

A tad close to Des though I must admit!

See images of them below.

https://vimeo.com/653497261
    Last edited by mickd1961; 13-01-2022 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    ...Any of you moved late in life any regrets ?
    Yes, no!

Longer answer: We were both 68 when we last moved. We had previously moved 12 years earlier, when we "followed the work", and at the same time downsized, 'cos it seemed like a good thing to do. Nice though the place was, it wasn't ideally located for a couple of old 'uns (had to drive to just about anywhere), and we also decided we didn't really fit in the available space. So we upsized again, finding an absolutely perfect house, in a perfect location -- loads of public transport on the doorstep day and night, great pub and the best Indian in town a short stroll away, wonderful neighbours...

Age isn't a factor in moving -- go for it!

My mate who was 68 at the time said to me on more than one occasion I feel there is one more move in us as I am not totally happy with the house we are in. They had been in it for about 8 years. He was dead before his 69th birthday. He was told he had about 6 weeks and a hospice was arranged on the same day as he was told he was terminal. His wife is now stuck in that house away from any family that can help her easily as she feels the stress of selling and moving is too much for her on her own. I suppose the moral is if its on your mind, do it, at our ages you ain't got 30 years plus to play around with.

Made redundant/retired at 61, lived in a big Edwardian house in West Brom, which was too big for us as the kids had moved on.
    So in 2004 we decided to sell up/downsize to a bungalow and moved to North Wales, lovely area by the sea, lovely neighbours, and certainly no regrets, the best move we have made.

Been moving house every few years through my 50s and now into 60s. Sold up in London just before the pandemic hit and bought in the Cotswolds - turned out to be a good move. Wife loves it. Dogs love it. Wife is a serial “fixer-upper” as they say - so ever since we moved in two years ago have been doing the place up. Will probably stay for another 5 years then move ..... just find the Winters here are so long ..... don’t mind the cold but the constant grey/dreary/wet weather between October and March is a real grind. Fancy a move to a warmer climate .... just not sure where at the minute. But moving when you are older .... no problem ..... but everyone to their own ....

I last moved at 56 to get nearer the countryside I would probably move again but the wife is happy I would like more leisure time but eh ho we all have crosses to bear!

Thanks for all your insight and advice.
    We a got a couple of jobs to do on our house and then if we do see something both of us like we will ready to put ours on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Thanks for all your insight and advice.
    We a got a couple of jobs to do on our house and then if we do see something both of us like we will ready to put ours on the market.
    The right choice Lloyd in my opinion.

A nice bungalow in an area or a village with decent local shops and a pub, make life easy for yourself and your wife and take away the stress that can come with older age and impaired mobility.

The very best of luck to you both.

Thanks Mick

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)