+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Standards by Aussie Govt.re Djokovic

Double Standards by Aussie Govt.re Djokovic

The Australian Government in my opinion are guilty of double standards regarding Novic Djokovic being deported from Australia because he has not received the Covid-19 vaccinations.
    In November 2020 before anyone had received their first Covid-19 vaccination the Australian Government were happy to let the former Dundee FC player Grantham Dorrans enter Australia signing a two year deal with Western Sydney Wanderers on 9th November 2020. . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Dorrans
    I have previously read in the news that other sporting stars were permitted to enter Australia at that time despite there being no vaccine in place and cases of the Covid-19 virus increasing.
    The Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison needs to explain to the media why it was all right for Graham Dorrans to travel from the U.K. to sign up to play for Western Sydney Wanderers in November 2020 but it is now not all right for Novic Djokovic to play in the 2022 Australian Tennis Open Championship.
    Both Graham Dorrans and Novic Djokovic were unvaccinated when they arrived in Australia.
    Alternatively Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison could admit that there are elections coming up in Australia and being tough with Novic Djokovic’s unvaccinated status is a vote catching stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    The Australian Government in my opinion are guilty of double standards regarding Novic Djokovic being deported from Australia because he has not received the Covid-19 vaccinations.
    In November 2020 before anyone had received their first Covid-19 vaccination the Australian Government were happy to let the former Dundee FC player Grantham Dorrans enter Australia signing a two year deal with Western Sydney Wanderers on 9th November 2020. . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Dorrans
    I have previously read in the news that other sporting stars were permitted to enter Australia at that time despite there being no vaccine in place and cases of the Covid-19 virus increasing.
    The Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison needs to explain to the media why it was all right for Graham Dorrans to travel from the U.K. to sign up to play for Western Sydney Wanderers in November 2020 but it is now not all right for Novic Djokovic to play in the 2022 Australian Tennis Open Championship.
    Both Graham Dorrans and Novic Djokovic were unvaccinated when they arrived in Australia.
    Alternatively Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison could admit that there are elections coming up in Australia and being tough with Novic Djokovic’s unvaccinated status is a vote catching stunt.
    This is how Scotland could go.

Authoritarian madness.

A once free country turns to this in less than 2 years.

Australian work colleague of mine went home in 2020 never having had a vaccination because there was no vaccine at the time - he spent four weeks in a hotel room, literally in a hotel room, not in a hotel but in a hotel room having food delivered to him, laundry picked up and delivered back etc. He was not allowed to step outside the room. I'd imagine that when Graham Dorrans was granted his visa a similar quarantine period will have been required of him.

There was no vaccine at the time so the Australian government implemented that precaution on nationals travelling from abroad into the country. There is now a vaccine and the Australian government have different rules and precautions based on the availability of the vaccine.

I'd love to know where you get the idea that Graham Dorrans was allowed into Australia under the same restrictions as Novak Djokovic was denied. How could the government deny Dorrans entry on the basis that he wasn't vaccinated when there was no vaccine?

Djokovic didn't take the vaccine, his choice and I respect that, but he knew it was a condition of entry that he should be vaccinated or hold a medical exemption. As it happened he messed up his exemption and was deported - quite rightly.

I suppose what I'm saying is you're comparing apples with pears.

Maybe because it wasn't law in Nov 2020 to be vaccinated before entry into Australia and now it is. That's like asking how come it was legal in the Uk to beat your wife but not now.

Novak won his case in court.

Australian politicians overused the court.

Mess of a country, ran by criminals......that we sent there.😁

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    This is how Scotland could go.

Authoritarian madness.

A once free country turns to this in less than 2 years.
    Not that it matters but how do you think our restrictions compare to those in other say European countries?
    And are all these leaders similar to Sturgeon re the "power" in your opinion?
    Macron seems a tad worse and some are restricted more.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Australian work colleague of mine went home in 2020 never having had a vaccination because there was no vaccine at the time - he spent four weeks in a hotel room, literally in a hotel room, not in a hotel but in a hotel room having food delivered to him, laundry picked up and delivered back etc. He was not allowed to step outside the room. I'd imagine that when Graham Dorrans was granted his visa a similar quarantine period will have been required of him.

There was no vaccine at the time so the Australian government implemented that precaution on nationals travelling from abroad into the country. There is now a vaccine and the Australian government have different rules and precautions based on the availability of the vaccine.

I'd love to know where you get the idea that Graham Dorrans was allowed into Australia under the same restrictions as Novak Djokovic was denied. How could the government deny Dorrans entry on the basis that he wasn't vaccinated when there was no vaccine?

Djokovic didn't take the vaccine, his choice and I respect that, but he knew it was a condition of entry that he should be vaccinated or hold a medical exemption. As it happened he messed up his exemption and was deported - quite rightly.

I suppose what I'm saying is you're comparing apples with pears.
    Brilliant answer , and absolutely correct , my friend had to isolate in a hotel room at that time a#well , on his way back from a holiday In Melbourne he lives in Perth ,so to just think Graham Dorrans simply walked into Australia in nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Not that it matters but how do you think our restrictions compare to those in other say European countries?
    And are all these leaders similar to Sturgeon re the "power" in your opinion?
    Macron seems a tad worse and some are restricted more.
    In Europe.....you have Sweden 😍 at one end of the spectrum and Austria and Italy at the other.......France nearer to Austria and Italy but with an election coming up Macron seems to be following the polls.

Scotland and Wales are unique I think in that their leaders both saw a chance to grab more power from Westminster and prove how tough/caring/responsible/ delete as you see fit are.

Politicians love being in the spotlight and sturgeon has went from a benched player at Stirling Albion to Celtics c/f in the space of 2 years.....she's loving it......she ain't gonna voluntarily go back to sitting on the bench.

I've no doubt if this cud be funded by sturgeon or Westminster it would be even worse.....even worse than shutting down hospitality on a whim, closing spectator sport, telling folk they can't see family or attend funerals, telling them they can't get married, ordering people to work from home, introducing a papers please society and having people wander about in gimp masks.

And most of Europe has a history of fascism......we don't.....or didn't.

They thought they couldn't get away with it here, pandemic planning had been in place for 20 years with no lockdown, they threw the baby out with the bathwater and once they saw they could get away with it Hancock, whitty, sturgeon, the Welsh prick etc went mental with it.

Doris getting Ill opened the floodgates imho.......I don't think it will ever go back to what it was and these powers will be used in future.

Sturgeon needs them removed from her, so much easier to control 5 million than 75.

Our only hope is that Boris admits that there has been a campaign waged against the public in the attempt to deal with covid. It seems obvious that the campaign was based on a clever slogan Saving the NHS and those in the decision making circles did not think the rules applied to them.
    The powers to act have helped to create the vaccines and get supplies of PPE but they are no longer required. Boris needs to explain to his troops that they are all in trouble and he thinks it is essential to return decision making to Parliament. I can't see Starmer or the Lib Dems voting against such a move and by getting the experts back in their boxes he can point to his being on the side of the voters. Saviour of our way of life.
    Not happy with some of my choice of words but basic principle Boris advocates return to prepandemic political arrangements and wrong foots everyone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)