+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Oh Gazan what makes you think that Crewe Alexandra give a flying frig about the fans they never have done in the past and they are not about to start now. And yes I think we are suffering from Artells abysmal summer recruitment drive and it does seem to be the case of get some out before we get some in. Good look in off loading the ****e he brought to the club in the summer, an ambitious board would have shown him the door by now, oh to have an ambitious board who actually mean what they say. Until the ethos changes at Crewe we will always be a struggling club and it does not have to be this way, but while the Crewe fan base are happy to except less than rank mediocrity it will be ever thus.
    We are definitely struggling to pick up favourable results this season although there has been improvement in the last couple of months. However, this is the first season we have struggled under Artell and whilst I take no pleasure from it I do have some understanding of why.
    To criticise the board I think is unfair. We have a new board of directors and chairman and my belief is there has been a lot of improvement behind the scenes. The boards ambitions, rightly in my view, are to not allow the club to go the way of Bury or Derby. To me that is a healthy ambition. I know Wartman's main concern is the first team and I am not criticising that. However we should all recognise recruitment in the summer, whist not the best generally, is not an easy process when funds are as limited as ours. Yes we could downgrade the Academy and that would, in the short term, free up some money. But the trouble with that philosophy is it is not going to last. The current crop of youngsters that are not quite ready for the first team is proof we are doing things right in that respect. And because we follow that policy we are going to enjoy ups (the last 3 seasons) and downs (the current season). On another site (I think) someone asked if the general feeling this group of players were good enough for league 1. My thoughts are, yes it is although obviously not as good as it was pre summer. We are rebuilding and we will doubtless be doing it again ai a couple 0f years or so. It is what we do. We recruit within a budget and we shouldn't be looking to work outside that budget. I guess if we don't like the way the club has been run (the same way for the greater part of 40 years) then maybe we should support a different club.

Apologies for the long post but I feel a bit of balance is required

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I guess if we don't like the way the club has been run (the same way for the greater part of 40 years) then maybe we should support a different club
    Spot on Timmy

I agree that Artell still has the balance of credit over the 5 years. I also baulk at the idea that the board have never cared when the bulk of them have only been there for 2and a half years and have clearly been active in the background.
    As for the idea that the average Alex fan is content with "less than rank mediocrity", it has no basis in documented reality.
    Rants are understandable when things are bad but surely these should be explosions of frustration NOT standard positions.
    I started this post because having listened to the Radio Stoke commentary my frustration at the loss was compounded by the lack of communication of events on the pitch by Mr McGarry. In the cooler light of day, I am more able to rationalise my thoughts.
    Finally, in this age of political soundbite and declining attention spans, please T58, don't feel you have to apologise for taking time (and therefore space) in order to elaborate on your point. In the end, what we need is more expository writing and less unevidenced ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I agree that Artell still has the balance of credit over the 5 years. I also baulk at the idea that the board have never cared when the bulk of them have only been there for 2and a half years and have clearly been active in the background.
    As for the idea that the average Alex fan is content with "less than rank mediocrity", it has no basis in documented reality.
    Rants are understandable when things are bad but surely these should be explosions of frustration NOT standard positions.
    I started this post because having listened to the Radio Stoke commentary my frustration at the loss was compounded by the lack of communication of events on the pitch by Mr McGarry. In the cooler light of day, I am more able to rationalise my thoughts.
    Finally, in this age of political soundbite and declining attention spans, please T58, don't feel you have to apologise for taking time (and therefore space) in order to elaborate on your point. In the end, what we need is more expository writing and less unevidenced ranting.
    I sometimes feel I am, a lone voice in not leaping up and down and demanding the manager be sacked after a few defeats. Acknowledged that this has been more than a few defeats but you get my drift.
    I have it on reasonably good authority that the board do give a flying about the fans and the club and having seen numerous quotes on other sites bemoaning the silence from the chairman and the board in general, I would like to say that I don't particularly want to hear the board or chairman commenting on the team performances or the manager for that matter. We all know that Artell would have been sacked at most other clubs by now, that doesn't make it right. There are some clubs who seem to change manager every season. Thank God we are not there and hopefully never will be. Continuity is important and having a structured approach to the business equally so. It is concerning we have no signings to talk about but I would rather we didn't sign player just to appease the fans. If there is no one that fits the bill then I would happily carry on as we are and blood a few of our youngster on the way to the end of the season.

I go along with everything you say, except one. There are quite a few people on this site, myself included, who do not, at the moment, wish to see the manager sacked. Perhaps you should think of the old adage, "the hinge that creaks the loudest is the first to get the oil", when considering how much of a clamour there really is for the sacking of the manager.
    However, having said that I still retain my right as a fan to be critical and yesterday's substitutions were worthy of criticism.

Gazan Looking at another post on here (alexmick) are you really so sure the board care about the fans ? Sometimes standard positions are there for a reason.

Most of the current board ARE fans. They are never going to get any financial return on their 'investments', so I'm not sure what you think their motivation is.

Most of the current board ARE fans. They are never going to get any financial return on their 'investments', so I'm not sure what you think their motivation is.

I note that on Cheshire live Artell has come out as saying we have to do business in January, well forgive me but Artell has indicated that we were doing business in the Jan transfer window A fair bit of business was his initial comment. His comments seem to suggest that despite what he says there was never an intention to recruit in Jan at all but they are having their hand forced because the first team squad is so poor in numbers and definitely in ability.

I don't read it that way, exactly.
    As there has been little news, these comments are released for want of any other news. Nothing to read into them really.
    Anyway, in terms of outgoings, I see Daniels has found another club. Hopefully, a few more (3?) will go in the next few days.

I don't read it that way, exactly.
    As there has been little news, these comments are released for want of any other news. Nothing to read into them really.
    Anyway, in terms of outgoings, I see Daniels has found another club. Hopefully, a few more (3?) will go in the next few days.
    So taking your assessment above 4 out this week add to this Ramsey and Bennett are you suggesting Crewe will recruit 6 players in the next 7 days ? Bearing in mind we are already short on numbers and Artell has said the the scholars have only been on the bench because we had nobody else. I will have a pint of what you are on 😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast